Sgl no 2 account on direct debit???

Options

Comments

• MeanExpat
    MeanExpat Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone claimed following a "personal accident"?

Has anyone read the terms and conditions of this policy?

I enquire for my son who does not seem to have received anything in writing. But has been charged for over a year.
  • MeanExpat
    Options
    Could all those who have reported demanding their money back please state how many working days it actually took?

Many thanks
  • MeanExpat
    Options
    It takes 5 to 10 workings days depending on whether they credit your account or send you a cheque.

Talk to your Swinton agent about unauthorised direct debit(s).
    You'll be put through to the complaint department.

Never using this insurance again and telling the story to everyone you know might help stop this scam.

Informing Consumer Watchdog, Which magazine, Fraud squad etc. might also help.

Good luck to all.
  • bookreader_2
    Options
    Thanks to this forum I have now claimed back my money. Like many others I had no idea what SGL no 2 account meant, I thought it was something to do with my bank! I had £13.99 taken out of my account for accident cover for last 5 months plus £6.99 for breakdown. My advise is to ring this number 0800 954 5969. I was ready for a row as have been a customer of theirs for many years and was fuming that they had taken my money without me knowing, but the customer services man said straight away that they could give me my money back no problem! Wont be renewing with them again!
  • Yassie123
    Options
    Hi if like me you are wondering what this DD on your bank statement it is from Swinton for Personal Accident Cover, if you did not request or need this cover then give them a call, I just have and got my money back. Admin team 01603 221042.
  • Hamish12
    Options
    I just found this still on my account thinking I had cancelled it 23rd March 2011 after never having asked for it in the first place. When I phoned Swinton Jan 2013 they offered me 12 months payment back or I could fill in a complaints form. Guity, clearly, or why offer 12 months back? I went for the complaints form option - will keep posting on results.
  • JammyJas
    Options
    Hi

I have also had this same issue. I noticed that I had been paying £13.99 (which rose to 15.38) since 5th September 2011. It wasn't until I looked at my bank statement and read some of these posts (by googling SL no 2 Account) that I realise it was something I had taken out with Swinton.

I worked out that I had been paying from the 5th September 2011 unitl 3rd January 2012 and had paid a total of £247.65.

I telephoned Swinton and found out that I had actually cancelled this is August 2011 but they had continued to take it. I was extremely angree and informed the guy that I was speaking to that I expected it all to paid back and that they should pay me interest on top. The guy then replied that he was happy to pay 12 installment (a loss of £70) or I would have to go through the complaints procedure which could take up to 30 days to investigate. I informed the guy that that was not good enough and if they could pay me twelve months they could pay me the full amount. He replied that he was not able to do that I told him that I wanted to be put through to his manager, however he replied that he would not be able to do anything either, I replied again that I wanted to speak to his manger. Surprise, surprise he put me on hold for a couple of minutes and return to say 'in this instance we will pay you the full amount within 10 working days. I am now waiting for my £247.65.

My advice is don't let them fob you off if they have taken your money in error they need to pay you all the money and don't forget to cancel the direct debit. A cheaper number to call is 0161 233 36 76.

robwiles wrote: »
    Hi

I'm new to this site, I am writing to ask whether anyone can tell me what

'SGL NO 2 ACCOUNT'

is on my Direct Debit list. It is active and no money or amount is shown, but it is new. I have not given out my bank details to anyone, but, I have lost my bank card.

In writing, I have just realised that someone has set up a DD with SGL the online gaming site, I will call LLoyds TSBnow!!
  • lloydis
    Options
    This is what has happened when we discovered SGL No. 2 Account on our account -
    1.Read everyone's account of similar issues and decided to contact our bank to cancel DD and claim refund.(Went on line immediately and cancelled the DD)
    2. Went into the bank and applied for the indemnity claim for monies taken out of our account by Swinton
    3. Received a letter 1 day later from Swinton suggesting that the DD for this insurance cover (accident insurance) might have been done in error, please call and we will reinstate it for you. Tried to call them on the number provided...no response
    4. Received a letter one week later from Swinton saying that because we have cancelled the DD our motor insurance cover has ceased with immediate effect. Please post the certificate back and do not drive your car as this is illegal and we are to pay 50 cancellation fee plus outstanding premiums within the week. They will automatically recover these costs from our account which was registered with them for the DD.
    We did not cancel the insurance policy DD, we cancelled the SGL No.2 account policy which was for personal family accident cover. We did not request this cover therefore we cancelled this policy, however we did not cancel the Insurance cover for our car, they did! This is totally unacceptable! The government should crack down on companies like this. Question is, what gives them the right to cancel our motor insurance and then claim that we cancelled it? Is this not in breech of the motor insurance policy contract? Who do we speak to...lawyers? Will see what the financial obudsman has to say about this...maybe they can help?Pitiful :mad:
  • jamiejackpot
    Options
    Hi All,

I know this is quite an old topic now but just wanted to share my experiences with this.

I was a car insurance policy holder with Swinton Group in 2010 when I very first started driving. I have since then been unaware of the direct debit payments leaving my bank since February 2011, these were originally around £7.99 which has increased each year until to-date when the last payment was taken for £9.99!!

This only became apparent to me when I signed up to online banking and before then has gone unnoticed (as it was quite a small payment), I never agreed to start paying for insurance for this purpose back in 2010 and I am 100% positive of this as being a young person at the time and trying to get car insurance at an affordable price was hard anyway and back then was paying £210 a month for a 1.2 car.. would never of agree'd to pay even more even it was only £7.

I read this forum and decided to take it into my own hands.. gave Swinton a call on the 0161 2333676 mentioned from another user in a previous post (thanks for that!) and explained that I had spoken to the citizens advice bureau about this, also that I was unaware of the policy every exsisting and that I wished to cancel the policy, request a full refund or if that was not possible following the complaints route to see how I go about regaining the money, the customer service adviser I spoke to was quite polite (clearly had a lot of people phoning regarding this!) and just confirmed my address and explained that letters had been sent to my home address to confirm the policy existing, I obviously replied that I had never received any confirmation (which I hadn't) and after a while she explained in my instance she could offer a full refund.. I am now awaiting £290 to be debited back into my account within the next 10 working days.

I no this is quite a lengthy post but I hope it helps anyone 'googling' this topic the same as I did, Swinton have obviously been selling this policy as an add on to the insurance you get with them and if like me you did not agree to this don't allow it to go on.. speak with them and get your money back!!

:T pat on the back for me I say!
  • pinkstar81
    Options
    Thanks for posting, guys. I'm another person who found this via Google. Got bombarded by marketing calls from swinton about a 'special free offer' said no and they set up the DD anyway! Two swinton DDs have been leaving my account: the SGL no 2 account and breakdown cover. Definitely did not authorise breakdown cover as i get that from hsbc! I'm now pursuing a full refund but will be complaining higher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure