Sgl no 2 account on direct debit???

Options

Comments

• smudge50
    Options
    Hi my first post on here but had to find out what the SGL2 Account ive been paying for 9 months was? Thanks 2 all it is a personal insurance plan by Swintons Group insurance. offered as free for 3 months then you have to write and cancel. I was assured they would write to me in 3 months but never did. Likewise i forgot about it as i did not receive any paperwork of just what it was i was paying for? finally rang them today and complained and the operator was great! told him the problem and i wanted full refund. No arguing, no need to write in with evidence etc he just said no problem and worked out how much i had paid (£71.92) and ordered a refund! i asked as it was done so quick had they must of had loads of complaints and it seemed all his calls lately are for the same thing and he was advised just to refund! obviously worried there next in line for Mis-Selling of insurance similar to P.P.I. claims!

so if like me you find this on your statement give them a ring i am pretty sure they will be just as quick refunding you!

Mention Moneysavingexpert.com seems to have bit of persuasive power if they refuse to play ball!

Thanks again and espececially this website
    :j:T:j
    keep up the good fight! now wheres my PPI refund claim form....
  • jenniesan
    Options
    Annielou wrote: »
    I set up a buildings/contents house insurance policy with Swinton Group and have just noticed an extra DD going out of my account for SGL No 2 account. When I phoned them they said I had agreed to a free 3 months of personal accident cover which then is charged after the 3 month free period. I had absolutely no knowledge of asking for it, or even being told about it, but was told it was in their "script". I am always pretty careful about things like that and would never ever have agreed if I'd realised what it was, so I wonder is it carefully worded in their script so the customer doesn't cotton on to what is being sold? But however it is sold, isn't this extremely unethical these days that so many people seem to be duped into this by one specific company??!!! I am going to write to them and ask them how it was presented to me in their script, but your thoughts and experiences would be interesting.

Hi there, I am with Swinton as well, I called them to renew my home insurance this week, the guy told me about the 'free' 3 months personal insurance and asked for my bank details to set up a DD. I said to him I DON'T WANT ANY EXTRA INSURANCE, I DON'T CARE IF THEY ARE FREE. But he said the policy can't go on if I don't accept the free insurance!!!! So I gave it to thim unwillingly. I think they are trying to trip up some busy people who will forget to cancel the policy 3 months later.

WIll never go back to Swinton again.
  • anon1969_2
    Options
    Dont get why you people are just accepting this, Swinton are governed by the Financial Service Authority (FSA) the FSA fined Swinton for miselling PPI long before the banks but like the banks Swinton had to repay all premiums with interest, miselling is not restricted to PPI (payment protection insurance) it applies to any insurance that you Did not want, Did not need or Did not know that you had, if swinton tell you that they read a script SO WHAT, if you did not know what you were getting or they told you it came with the policy you wanted then they are miselling & you should just report them to the FSA you will then get your money back with interest & swinton will have to stop this, like ANON1966 I have worked for swinton so know what they are doing & know how much pressure they put staff under to get theses sales but not all the sales staff are pressured, lots will push these products on you because they are paid large bonuses to do so. A final warning - dont renew any policy you have with swinton before shopping around, they know when you shop around, & the amount of income that they add to your insurers premium depends on how long you have been with them & how often you shop around so if you show loyalty to Swinton they repay you by charging you more than they would charge someone who checks around, I dealt with cases that swinton added £200 commission to a £300 premium because the client had all their policies through swinton and didnt shop around, then they add £25 renewal fee £30 for legal cover that costs them less than £5 and 16% of your premium if you pay by direct debit. If they offer you a pay early deal it basically means we want you to pay now cos if you shop around you will find out just how expensive we are - the staff have a daily income target aswell as the number of "FREE" policies that they have to achieve, so trust me when i say the staff need you more than you need them, haggle & haggle again and if you dont want to pay early dont worry that the deal will be gone cos it wont, its just that Swinton know if you renew early they will have to use less discount as once you start shopping around others will be cheaper LOTS CHEAPER - Swinton are a greedy company whose profits have risen from around £12 - £13 million to £60million over the last 3-4 years. :money:
  • petitebijous
    Options
    Yes, I too have had this DD coming out every month.Unfortunately I've had it since November 2006.I just assumed it was something to do with the bank.At first it was £3.98, so I just ignored it, but it's now over £6 per month.I've never had any letters about it, and in fact haven't even been with Swinton for over three years.When I changed car insurance company I asked them to cancel anything I had with them.What a bunch of rats.I've informed Watchdog...I will going to the bank tomorrow.I'll let you know how I get on...
  • BarryClem
    Options
    I also worked for Swinton until recently (this being the reason I left this job)....

They are an absoloute disgrace to the insurance industry. I spoke to a few of my ex-co workers Saturday and they told me that Swinton employees are no longer allowed to sell the products like this, they are entitled to ask if you want it and if you refuse, then you refuse.

I was actually disciplined by one of the area managers for not selling products as I simply refused to scam people.

May I add though, as Anon rightly stated, the staff members themselves do NOT want to actually sell you these products, but for plain fear of losing their jobs, they have too. There is mounds of pressure applied to staff by higher entities to sell the products.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Give me a clue, why is this thread in the competitions board 'Game Over'?
  • MSEUser2012
    Options
    I googled SGL No 2 account as I noticed that an unsolicited sum of £13.99 had been snatched from my account recently - the online statement said 'DD Initial payment' and I knew I hadn't set up any DDs recently!

I tried calling twice to demand a refund (having cancelled the DD immediately) but couldn't get through (surprise surprise) However, I emailed them at help@swinton.co.uk, gave my policy number and insisted they pay me back.

Got a phone call the next day with profuse apologies and a promise that the amount would be returned to my bank account within ten days! :D
  • bassbabi
    bassbabi Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Know this is quite an old thread, but thanks. Have just found £7.98 debited from my account over last 2 months - never had dealings with Swinton, and only use this account for buying music books, never DDs. Very scary how any company can do this. My BS have refunded the money and I've cancelled the DD - hope that's over now.
  • lucyeowen
    Options
    I found this DD leaving my account too! 9 months @ £17.99 per month!

I found this thread and called Swinton immediately! I told them that they had basically been stealing money from my account. I specifically remember telling the cold caller from Swinton that I wasn't interested in signing up for any extra insurance or breakdown cover, because I would forget to cancel after the 3 months and I could afford it and didn't want it anyway THANK YOU BYE!

Seems they took it upon themselves to set it up anyway. I demanded that they pull the recording of the call where I agreed to it and after a long time on hold they came back to me and said they would "refund 5 months out of curtesy". OUT OF CURTESY!!!! Cheeky !!!!!!!s! I told them if they didn't refund the total amount then I would report it as fraud on my account and I still wanted to hear the recording of the call. More waiting on hold and then a full refund which they have said will be in my account in the next 3-5 working days! TOO RIGHT!!!! FUMING!!!
  • daisypye
    Options
    HI Everyone really glad I found this thread also. The same happend to me £13.99 taken from my account in January weeks AFTER i actually took the best part of the 3 free months for both personal injury cover & breakdown, I rang to cancel at least 2 weeks in advance of the said date, and they still took my money - again like all of you on this site I was racking my brains to think who was SGL NO 2 ACCOUNT? so went on line keyed it in and hey ho found this info - so I have now requested a refund - swinton said they would refund the money - we will see in the next few days - SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPEND IN THE FIRST PLACE. I may not insure with this company again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure