We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 7

Comments

• cocker100
    cocker100 Posts: 520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I totally agree with you, If I was on a Self Managed DMP I to would of stopped making payments or at least reduced them to a £1 to a certain creditor on my DMP, as you say I would rather pay the creditors who have accepted and tried to help me by freezing interest etc more and the other less helpfull creditors less. The problem with doing this though is that a court could see it as unfair treatment.(never mind the fact that the creditor has treated me like !!!!! ;))

At the moment I am only having problems with 1 out of many creditors so I won't let them ruin my DMP. I suppose you could always change the balance owed to 0 if you have a CCCS DMP and then they are taken out of your plan, I don't know if this could be asking for trouble though.

I doubt the court would take a dim view on it. Afterall, by entering into a DMP you are showing that you are committed to repaying your debts regardless of who you are paying.

Have you tried to estabilish whether the debt from your dodgy creditor is enforceable or not? If not, I would reccommend sending them a CCA request.

See here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2071601

As for telling CCCS that the balance is zero, I wouldn't advise this. If the account did reach court and this came to light, I dont think that it would be very good for you!:eek:

Cocker:)
  • cocker100 wrote: »
    I doubt the court would take a dim view on it. Afterall, by entering into a DMP you are showing that you are committed to repaying your debts regardless of who you are paying.

Have you tried to estabilish whether the debt from your dodgy creditor is enforceable or not? If not, I would reccommend sending them a CCA request.

See here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2071601

As for telling CCCS that the balance is zero, I wouldn't advise this. If the account did reach court and this came to light, I dont think that it would be very good for you!:eek:

Cocker:)

Hi

The account is only a couple of years old, so no doubt it will be enforcable, I am considering a SAR request instead as I need to establish wether or not a Default hass been issued
    DMP mutual support thread member:327
  • Hi Guys

this is just what i mean, our DMP is big with 22 creditors and its like a work maker, I could do with a filing clerk just to keep up with the paperwork. 20 of the 22 are playing ball, Lloyds is being Lloyds but at least have stopped interest, but Amex are just being awkward for the sake of it. RMA said they had stopped interest, RMA have never been rude or horrible, quite polite really considering the way some of these people feel entitled to talk to you. Amex don't appear to know where the debt is and terminated the account really quickly (actually before i missed a payment and didn't issue a default cos I suppose I didn't default when they terminated. But now they are adding interest and I don't understand how they can add interest to a contract that they don't have any more??? Amex customer services are vile, rude and don't appear to want to understand my Scottish accent, CCCS just want to keep paying and hope they will stop interest, meanwhile they are sticking more interest on than the payment from CSSS, makes me spit!!!! again!
    More than Two Years in

Doing it the Niddy way:j:j:j

• Hi Guys

this is just what i mean, our DMP is big with 22 creditors and its like a work maker, I could do with a filing clerk just to keep up with the paperwork. 20 of the 22 are playing ball, Lloyds is being Lloyds but at least have stopped interest, but Amex are just being awkward for the sake of it. RMA said they had stopped interest, RMA have never been rude or horrible, quite polite really considering the way some of these people feel entitled to talk to you. Amex don't appear to know where the debt is and terminated the account really quickly (actually before i missed a payment and didn't issue a default cos I suppose I didn't default when they terminated. But now they are adding interest and I don't understand how they can add interest to a contract that they don't have any more??? Amex customer services are vile, rude and don't appear to want to understand my Scottish accent, CCCS just want to keep paying and hope they will stop interest, meanwhile they are sticking more interest on than the payment from CSSS, makes me spit!!!! again!

Keep in there PDD. You are usually our strength in these matters!

I'm told repeatedly that as my DFD is 'only' 3.5 years am unlikely to get all creditors on board, boo. Seems they want us all to hit the wall.

HH x
  • ianmak wrote: »
    Issue with Co-Op debit cards (with the cashminder accounts) is due to them being electron cards.

Only issues I've experienced is with pay at pumps, some on train ticket facilities, and also with Tesco Direct. With the latter I say "Well if you're not bother with my custom then I'll go elsewhere". I'm not bothered to be honest, as it's so few and far between.

My Cashminder's a visa debit... not electron... it will vary, it's worth checking before you pay the minimum £20 at asda self service fuel station lol
    Proud to have dealt with with my debts
    Debt free from 18th March 2013, long may it continue!
  • CharliesAngel
    CharliesAngel Posts: 435 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 15 June 2010 at 11:55PM
    Triggles wrote: »
    My visa debit card doesn't work at Asda locally, but that's in store, not for petrol. And mine isn't from coop, is definitely a debit card. It works literally everywhere else, but not there. The woman from Asda told me I'd probably gone over my limit (since it was a £25 purchase and I had over £600 in my account at the time, I knew that wasn't it). She then suggested I try using the ATM outside to get cash (with the same card - that she thought I had gone over limit on! go figure! LOL). It was annoying and the woman managed to make it embarrassing as well, even though I knew I wasn't over my limit. I don't bother shopping at Asda anymore unless I have cash.

Hi Triggles
    I've come across this with co-op/asda and first direct/asda transactions and looked into it further as I know Ive always got the money in my account. Apparently they take payment then hold a 'shadow' payment on your account until it shows on your statement... the 'shadow' payment looks like the original plus £1 (and will stop other big transactions) which comes back off after a week of your original transaction... very confusing and noone at asda can reassure me that it won't happen again and they're not sure why it happens, putting it down to a 'glitch' in the system...
    CAx
  • bl**dy hell is that the time?! lol
  • sam89
    sam89 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Hi Everyone, just thought I would pop in, say hello :wave: and give a quick update on our DMP. Nice to see some familiar names, big hugs to anyone who remembers me.

We've been on a DMP with Payplan since Sept '07 and since then have reduced our debt from £104,000 :eek: to £59,000 :p.

All our creditors have stopped interest, some really quickly (M&S, HFC, Capital One and MBNA). The lady at M&S was so lovely and understanding she made me cry, but I know you'll understand how emotionally fragile you are at the start of a DMP :o.

First Direct were our biggest creditor (£20,000) and also accepted straight away but charge interest at 0.5% above the base rate; which is fine and is about £17 a month just now.

Citibank and Egg took about 3 months to accept but since then have applied no interest.

Debenham's credit card was awful, lots of phone calls and applied huge amounts of interest (they increased our rate as soon as they knew we were in trouble). They sold the debt to CL finance after 6 months and they have been fine to deal with, zero interest and just a monthly statement.

Lloyds TSB were the biggest pain of them all. A year and a half of agreeing, then withdrawing agreement, applying interest some months and not others. Constant phone calls and rude, ignorant phone monkeys. I passed everything to Payplan initially but Lloyds ignored them, then I got angry :rotfl:. A recorded letter to their chief executive, stating we refused to deal with them by phone, explaining our DMP and requesting interest stopped. Next statement came with a refund of interest, no calls for over a year now and just a monthly statement with zero interest :j.

During this time we've managed to live quite comfortably and I initially told people we were tightening our belts due to the credit crunch/recession, no-one blinked an eye-lid. I think there are a lot more people in debt and worried than we realise :cool:. We saved up for and bought a car (£600 :D) and have a holiday booked and paid for in September. I totally sympathise with those who're struggling to budget, 3 years into it and I still have months where we overspend :( but on the good months I'm able to stash away an emergency fund and so far it's always balanced out.

So, I hope that I've given hope to those thinking about or just starting a DMP. The creditors eventually accept they will get what you give them. You can live life on it, it's the best thing we ever did and in another 3&1/2 years we'll be debt free. It will be like winning the lottery :T.

Good luck to all and I'll try to pop in a bit more often to see how you're doing :beer:
    DMP Mutual Support Member 138
    :D Proud to have dealt with my debts :D
    :beer:DMP completed 1/11/13:beer:
  • sam89 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, just thought I would pop in, say hello :wave: and give a quick update on our DMP. Nice to see some familiar names, big hugs to anyone who remembers me.

We've been on a DMP with Payplan since Sept '07 and since then have reduced our debt from £104,000 :eek: to £59,000 :p.

All our creditors have stopped interest, some really quickly (M&S, HFC, Capital One and MBNA). The lady at M&S was so lovely and understanding she made me cry, but I know you'll understand how emotionally fragile you are at the start of a DMP :o.

First Direct were our biggest creditor (£20,000) and also accepted straight away but charge interest at 0.5% above the base rate; which is fine and is about £17 a month just now.

Citibank and Egg took about 3 months to accept but since then have applied no interest.

Debenham's credit card was awful, lots of phone calls and applied huge amounts of interest (they increased our rate as soon as they knew we were in trouble). They sold the debt to CL finance after 6 months and they have been fine to deal with, zero interest and just a monthly statement.

Lloyds TSB were the biggest pain of them all. A year and a half of agreeing, then withdrawing agreement, applying interest some months and not others. Constant phone calls and rude, ignorant phone monkeys. I passed everything to Payplan initially but Lloyds ignored them, then I got angry :rotfl:. A recorded letter to their chief executive, stating we refused to deal with them by phone, explaining our DMP and requesting interest stopped. Next statement came with a refund of interest, no calls for over a year now and just a monthly statement with zero interest :j.

During this time we've managed to live quite comfortably and I initially told people we were tightening our belts due to the credit crunch/recession, no-one blinked an eye-lid. I think there are a lot more people in debt and worried than we realise :cool:. We saved up for and bought a car (£600 :D) and have a holiday booked and paid for in September. I totally sympathise with those who're struggling to budget, 3 years into it and I still have months where we overspend :( but on the good months I'm able to stash away an emergency fund and so far it's always balanced out.

So, I hope that I've given hope to those thinking about or just starting a DMP. The creditors eventually accept they will get what you give them. You can live life on it, it's the best thing we ever did and in another 3&1/2 years we'll be debt free. It will be like winning the lottery :T.

Good luck to all and I'll try to pop in a bit more often to see how you're doing :beer:

That's really inspirational, thank you for sharing that and well done to you and yours!:j:money::T

HH xx
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I know this is in the wrong place, but I can't be bothered to look on the forums...

People have posted on here in the past, saying they'd sold stuff on Amazon Marketplace, eBay etc. Have people had success using them? I'm asking as I won a Dyson recently, don't need it and want to sell it, but Amazon charge 17.25%? Is it worth it?

Cheers for any replies!
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.