DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 7

Options

Comments

• pure_dead_dopey
    pure_dead_dopey Posts: 2,215 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mama

same happened to OH with BofS. He phoned collections and they said it was because he hadn't phoned and made contact within a three month period, and if he did this, they would refund the interest and keep to the agreement, so far so good, they did do this. Try calling the collections side, I know everyone says you shouldn't phone but sometimes, (like BoS) it works and you get it sorted. Sounds as if you got a phone drone in customer services the first time. If you can keep calm and assertive, just keep asking for a supervisor and ask them why they have treated you like this? Worth a go, just don't upset yourself over them.
    More than Two Years in

Doing it the Niddy way:j:j:j

• mamajojo
    mamajojo Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    Hi PDD
    Thanks - you know me too well - already gone and got upset...but your "phone drone" has me smiling - I thought I'd phoned collections but think maybe not as I think that might be a UK based call centre! Its so bad been stressed about the call then heaping guilt on because you only vaguely get the jist of what's being said:( I'll wait till I'm calmer before trying again I guess.
    DMP mutual support thread member 371
    LBM Jan 2010
    DMP Paddle No 2
  • pure_dead_dopey
    Options
    If you are going to get upset (and I know exactly how you feel, could have strangled a certain sneery person at Amex this morning), don't phone, it only really works if you are calm, sure of your facts and politely but FIRMLY assertive. You would probably be better writing and ask them what the $$$$ they think they are doing??? I know you want it sorted now, but its not worth you getting upset, you are too important to let them upset you. Think Mama first, HSBC somewhere around the bottom crawlers
    More than Two Years in

• mamajojo
    mamajojo Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you PDD:A As ever you are always able to brighten me up! It just made me feel what's the point of going back to work if I'm not going to make any progress with "it".
    Just read an interesting post about co-op visa debit cards being refused - thought my experiences with M&S online and asda pay at pump were just quirks! On the Bankruptcy and living forum. Note to self must learn to link to threads!
    DMP mutual support thread member 371
    LBM Jan 2010
    DMP Paddle No 2
  • pure_dead_dopey
    Options
    Och if asda don't want my money and can't be bothered to sort out their machines, well b$$gger them!!! It can get annoying, as its usually the cheapest petrol, but if they want to discriminate against the low paid and those in financial difficulty, that's OK, a bit of a bummer from an international company, but they are not interested.

Hope you are feeling better
    More than Two Years in

• ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    mamajojo wrote: »
    Thank you PDD:A As ever you are always able to brighten me up! It just made me feel what's the point of going back to work if I'm not going to make any progress with "it".
    Just read an interesting post about co-op visa debit cards being refused - thought my experiences with M&S online and asda pay at pump were just quirks! On the Bankruptcy and living forum. Note to self must learn to link to threads!

Issue with Co-Op debit cards (with the cashminder accounts) is due to them being electron cards.

Only issues I've experienced is with pay at pumps, some on train ticket facilities, and also with Tesco Direct. With the latter I say "Well if you're not bother with my custom then I'll go elsewhere". I'm not bothered to be honest, as it's so few and far between.
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    My visa debit card doesn't work at Asda locally, but that's in store, not for petrol. And mine isn't from coop, is definitely a debit card. It works literally everywhere else, but not there. The woman from Asda told me I'd probably gone over my limit (since it was a £25 purchase and I had over £600 in my account at the time, I knew that wasn't it). She then suggested I try using the ATM outside to get cash (with the same card - that she thought I had gone over limit on! go figure! LOL). It was annoying and the woman managed to make it embarrassing as well, even though I knew I wasn't over my limit. I don't bother shopping at Asda anymore unless I have cash.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • scouselad1974
    Options
    Hi Scouse

Did the same with me and terminated the account within 10 days. Amex told me this morning they can do what the like as they have "procedures". Makes me spit!!!

I would phone ordinary customer services or RMA and get a balance, RMA told me they had stopped interest and this wasn't the case, they are currently adding on more than I am paying, so it will never end.

Good luck

PDDxx

Hi

Is your DMP with CCCS ?
    TBH I don't really want to telephone RMA as I have heard so many bad things about them and I will probably end up loosing my rag with them !
    I wonder could I get CCCS to enquire for me, or do I need to send them a letter ?
    DMP mutual support thread member:327
  • cocker100
    cocker100 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    The problem with DMP's through CCCS or Payplan or any of the other private companies is that they have to treat all your creditors equally. So if one of your creditors fails to play by the rules, your options are limited as to what you can do. This is one of the reasons why I decided to take the plunge and go it alone.

Due to the blatent disregard for UK financial regulations, several of my creditors were removed from my DMP when I took over the running of it. This not only makes them realise that you mean business, but also allows you to focus repaying the debt quicker to those creditors who accepted the DMP.

This is when the mind games start with those less helpful creditors and there are several tactics you can use. The most obvious one is stop paying them. Send them a letter staing that unless they stop playing silly games, no more payments will be made and always use the line "take me to court if you want to!". Obviously, its best to see if the debt is enforceable before you take drastic action. That way you know how far to go. A creditor may then start behaving better or may simply flog the debt to a DCA, who will be more likely to accept the DMP anyway.

Basically, you need to make them realise that you are in charge of your finances, not them, and that you are not scared of their nasty letters and tactics.

Cocker:)
  • scouselad1974
    Options
    I totally agree with you, If I was on a Self Managed DMP I to would of stopped making payments or at least reduced them to a £1 to a certain creditor on my DMP, as you say I would rather pay the creditors who have accepted and tried to help me by freezing interest etc more and the other less helpfull creditors less. The problem with doing this though is that a court could see it as unfair treatment.(never mind the fact that the creditor has treated me like !!!!! ;))

At the moment I am only having problems with 1 out of many creditors so I won't let them ruin my DMP. I suppose you could always change the balance owed to 0 if you have a CCCS DMP and then they are taken out of your plan, I don't know if this could be asking for trouble though.
    DMP mutual support thread member:327
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport