PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with 4 pints of Double cream

Options

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    and the dish is potato gratin, a quick search gives this one as a suggestion
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • suzy_g
    suzy_g Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for your replies, gratin thats the one, I will make that for the freezer, I never knew you could freeze cream as it is. thanks, suzy
  • TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    I once tried freezing double cream. When I defrosted it, it had turned yellow and was all hard and lumpy???
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well there are several threads on the subject but here is one

Personally I tend to buy double cream and when I use the cream I usually whip it a bit and then use for cooking... seems to work for me :) Dunno what the result would be if you tried to whip it or use it outside of cooked dishes...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you have to whip cream to a soft peak consistency to freeze it and get good results - I've always meant to try this and open freeze some piped 'rosettes' to freeze......
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I whipped my cream, then put some back in the pot it came in with the lid on and froze it. The other half got eaten as normal.
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    Just make butter!
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    I was in Waterstones yesterday with my £25 worth of vouchers looking for a fix to my recipe book adiction. Anyway I picked up a Womens Institute book, as it happens the page I read was about freezing cream. Its a sign! Anyway there advice is to freeze it into ice cube trays. Transfer to freezer bags when frozen. Then when making soups, just chuck a few into the pot as needed.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • oakdale_minx
    Options
    Wish you were near me - I need some cream tonight and there is gale blowing and it is chucking it down!!!
  • jellyang
    jellyang Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    How about a nice creamy mushroom soup?

I too have the cookery book addiction :D

Jelly
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing