'Do you use your landline?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    I went for H, but I probably do more like 98/99% of calls from landline. My mobile is just for emergencies when out (which is only occasional) and we can't get mobile signals at home anyway.

I hate people that only have mobiles! I refuse to call those numbers (unless absolutely necessary) and pay more for the priviledge just so that the Companies can re-coup the cost of the increasingly outlandish phones they give away "free":(
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • BritRael
    BritRael Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    moggylover wrote: »
    I went for H, but I probably do more like 98/99% of calls from landline. My mobile is just for emergencies when out (which is only occasional) and we can't get mobile signals at home anyway....

Yup, me too.

I've got a free mobile (free from work as an HSE acheivement gift) with a free Orange SIM, and use PAYG which I put a fiver on about once a year. Now all I've got to do is remember to carry the damn thing! :)
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours! :)
  • bluebeary
    bluebeary Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    Options
    the only thing keeping landline usage alive is these communications companies, you get tv, internet and landline for such and such a month and you never use the landline, its a waste of time and money

twice now weve cancelled contracts because were not making the most out of using the landline

we now have freesat, internet dongles and just use our mobile phones
  • Taff_major
    Taff_major Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    It would be very interesting to see how these results vary by the age of the respondent. I suspect (but maybe I'm wrong) that mobile use would be strongly biased towards the younger person.

:o
    Taff major
    :cool:
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    VOIP / Skype is main phone.
    Use PAYG mobile mainly for people to call me.
    Free evening / weekend / 0845 calls with BT (need BT line for broadband)
    Serendipity
    - noun: Looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    I voted D - landline (BT) is only used for 0800/0845 numbers that aren't covered in my free minutes on my mobile.

For clarification, I'm 22, and I definitely use the landline less than my parents, who only use their mobiles to text or if they are out.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    Taff_major wrote: »
    It would be very interesting to see how these results vary by the age of the respondent. I suspect (but maybe I'm wrong) that mobile use would be strongly biased towards the younger person.

That and the fact that in some areas the mobile coverage is so dreadful that you would never cope with a mobile only;) Damned if I am going to walk up the hill every time I want to use a telephone: that doesn't seem like any kind of "progress" to me, we used to do that when hardly anyone had a home phone and everyone used a telephone box:D

Plus, tbh, I really do not want a telephone with me everywhere I go, or at least not one that is going to ring when I am in the middle of actually chatting to someone I WANT to talk to. I really dislike being out with someone for lunch or a visit and their phone going constantly as well: I consider that ignorant in the extreme and would not ever want to be that rude to anyone else:o
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • CutTheJargon
    Options
    moggylover wrote: »
    I went for H, but I probably do more like 98/99% of calls from landline. My mobile is just for emergencies when out (which is only occasional) and we can't get mobile signals at home anyway.

I hate people that only have mobiles! I refuse to call those numbers (unless absolutely necessary) and pay more for the priviledge just so that the Companies can re-coup the cost of the increasingly outlandish phones they give away "free":(

A phone company recently tried to persuade my Dad to have a mobile only and said he could make huge savings by not paying for a land line.

He was on the verge of doing it until I pointed out that his mostly elderly friends would not call him on a mobile number due to the high cost from a land line. Most of them have PAYG mobiles. Given that I make 3 x 30 mins call to him a week, I also would not be inclined to use my inclusive mobile minutes to call him either, particularly when I get 99% of my calls free peak and off peak included in my landline package. I bought him a mobile for emergencies which he uses when he is out and about, but it's not an option as an only phone for him.
    Maybe a few years down the line, when reception has improved and costs have reduced, more people will opt for mobile only.
  • CutTheJargon
    Options
    Taff_major wrote: »

I think you are probably right. However, currently a lot of them still live with their parents and can just have the mobile for when they are out, which is probably most of the time! Their parents are possibly supplying the land line for the household internet connection/TV or whatever else you can get these days and therefore making use of the cheap/free landline calls that go with it, thus skewing the figures.
  • kthjac
    kthjac Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I'm with Virgin and have a plan that allows as many calls as I want to all 01-02-03 calls. Cost is so small £7.95 pr month. Can use that amount in a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure