Home Heating Oil

Options

Comments

• blondie21
    blondie21 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    what price now is it for oil in northern ireland ? i have heard some scary prices and i think im about to run out.....HELP !!!!!!
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe 900 litres has topped the £300 mark (and I am not sure if that includes the latest rise ... they often work 6-8 weeks behind). Unfortunately I had no choice bu to fill a couple of weeks ago and paid just over £300 for 1000 litres ... ouch!

As a starting point for prices try https://www.maxoldirect.com

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    1350 litres (approx 297 gallon) is £460 with Nicholl Oils and £465 with Patterson Oils. 2250 litres (approx 494 gallon) is £750 with Nicholl Oils, £785.06 with Maxol Direct and £765 with Patterson Oils.

Can anyone get it cheaper today or is it ever going to come down in price again?

BTW THESE ARE THE PRICES I WAS QUOTED TODAY!
  • pleaser
    Options
    Quick question, on oil prices , about 6 years ago heating oil was around £90 for 900 litre's and petrol was around 70pence a litre. So in 6 years heating oil has more than trippled!!!!!!, has petrol prices trippled in the same time!!!!! making it £2.10 a litre answer NO!!!!! it has not and as far as i am aware it all comes from the same barrel of crude oil do'se it not? Someone somewhere is telling pork pies mean while we get ripped off.
    A bargain is only a bargain, if you need it :T
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pleaser, I think the taxes for home heating oil and car fuel are different, hence the anomaly.
    Stercus accidit
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Home heating oil is taxed (or was) at 5% car fuels are taxed at 17.5%

Have a look HERE for VAT classifications and what applies to each category.

HTH
  • sor_fes2
    sor_fes2 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    We just paid £288 for 900 litres (I'm assuming its 900 litres, at least the quantity was 900) from Strangford Fuels Ltd if thats of any use to any of you.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I came across this in the Utilities bit of the forums:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=83268

Hopefully it will be as useful as it looks.

I will be out foraging for logs and burning those this winter; the price of oil is outrageous, so will be leaving the heating off most of the time...brrrr!!
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    pleaser wrote:
    Quick question, on oil prices , about 6 years ago heating oil was around £90 for 900 litre's and petrol was around 70pence a litre. So in 6 years heating oil has more than trippled!!!!!!, has petrol prices trippled in the same time!!!!! making it £2.10 a litre answer NO!!!!! it has not and as far as i am aware it all comes from the same barrel of crude oil do'se it not? Someone somewhere is telling pork pies mean while we get ripped off.
    The diesel you put in your car and the diesel you put in your oil tank is, for all intentions and purposes, the same product. The difference between them is that heating oil does not carry the same tax burden as that which you put in your car. The diesel that you buy at the pumps is about 80% tax therefore the underlying price of the raw material is the same.

Taking your figures into account the raw price of diesel was about 10p per litre. The motor fuel price was made up of 10p for the raw fuel and 60p of tax. Now triple the price of the raw material and the price for hom heating oil goes up to 30p per litre and the price of motor fuel goes up to 90p per litre. This is inline with todays pump prices.

So why not put the home heating oil in your diesel car? It is for this reason that a dye is added to the heating oil so that it can be easily detected. if you drive a diesel customs is entitled to stop you as and when they like (I have never been stopped in 15 years of driving diesels) and dip your tank. If even a hint of dye is found in the tank your car will be impounded until you pay a very hefty fine (no ifs or buts). Several years ago I spent a very long day driving all over NI paying fines for the company I used to work for because all their lorries had dye in the tanks ... the problem was actually caused because the underground tanks at the petrol station had small leaks in them and diesel had weeped from one to the other - this did not matter the tank contained red diesel.

So, I hear you ask why not simply remove the dye? Some people do and then sell it on at reduced prices - many fuel smugglers do this. However most of the methods used to remove the dye also reduce the lubricating properties of the diesel and can cause serious damage to your engine. Therefore you can try to cheat the system but in the long run it may cost you more.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • tightarse_2
    Options
    Hi - just jumped round the various websites locally to get an idea of prices around Belfast - used the following link to get them all in one place - http://www.4ni.co.uk/listing.asp?cat=304

Examples for 900L - online prices -

Hayes - £295
    EMO - £316.58
    Fuel Services - £311.85
    Knockbracken - £311.58
    Home Fuels - £315

As a matter of interest - does anyone know if the Oil prices here are as extortionate as in England? Is this another case of ripping the !!!!!! out of the Norn Irish?

Cheers folks
    Davy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family