Broadband,BT line

Options
pineapplefish75
pineapplefish75 Posts: 29 Forumite
edited 29 May 2010 at 3:08PM in Broadband & internet access
hi all can you offer advice or help.I live i a little village north of bristol so i stuck with BT.

I get noise on my phone line when the BB router is pluged in but when its unpluged no noise.

when i get a phone call i lose BB & its takes so long to come back its quicker to power off/on the router

Ive put in a new router a netgear dg834 v5 today & its still the same so ive got all new cables and a XTE-2005 Master Faceplate so the filter is at the main box guess what still the same.And also new phones for the house

the guy next door has the same problem as me but is a very light user so said he can live with it.

Ive phoned BT (indian call center) who say there is nothing wrong with my line (id beg to differ) all he could say was i'll be a £127 plus vat to loook at it.

Bt did replace a phone line for a house in the street last year saying it had crodded out in the street.

My BB speed before all these problems which have gone on for about 2.5 years was about 5meg now it 1.7meg if im lucky,im 250meters from the exchange.

i live in a little cul-de-sac & everyone else apart from me & next door get 6meg plus & dont get noise

Can anyone please advise what to try next as ive tried everything i can think of and bt want is my money.

A bt openreach guy did come out a while back but checked my master socket said it was all ok & give a load of guff about the quailty of voice calls only not BB quailty & couldnt get away fasy enough.

Any Ideas anyone

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    First off,try this:

Unplug all the phones & extensions from the NTE5 Master Socket (see photo)
    testsocket.gif
    As in the photo,unscrew the bottom faceplate & plug a normal phone (not a wireless one) into the test port indicated by the red arrow.Now try it,is the fault still there?
    If so it is on BT's side & therefore not your responsibility.
    If it is not,then it's your extensions.if you have extensions wired into the bottom plate,plug those back in & then a phone only into the phone jack.same again,is the fault still there?If it is,then it is those extensions.
    If not,plug the Sky extension into the test socket & see if the fault is there or not.
    Also check your microfilters.does each phone point in use have a filter?
    however,if it's affecting more than one resident,it could well be corroded Krone strip in the exchange or faulty line card,the list is many.
  • pineapplefish75
    Options
    yes was running with the test socket for ages.& the same problems that why i have changed all the filters(one needed 1) (dont need them with the face plate i got today)the cables & new modem. the guy next door has the same problems as well so cant be mine now after new everything even a rj11from face plate to modem a different line for phone from NTE5
  • pineapplefish75
    Options
    modem is aprox 50cms from nte5 then cat6 cable from modem to apple time machine which runs the wifi
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi pineapplefish75

I can have this looked into for you further, send me an email to the address in my public profile and I shall see what I can do.

Cheers

Stuart
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Rob_Wills
    Rob_Wills Posts: 80 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 June 2010 at 1:47PM
    Options
    ...I get noise on my phone line when the BB router is pluged in but when its unpluged no noise...when i get a phone call i lose BB...

We had a similar problem. After changing every piece of equipment several times, they dug up the pavement and replaced the unit which connects the main line to our property which was waterlogged and shorting out. They used a ground testing unit to find the fault.

Persist with your complaint. Do not accept the rubbish about charging you unless the fault lies within your property boundary, which it probably doesn't. Accompany the ground testing engineer every inch of the way.
    Rob
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    I wish you good luck with this as BT appear to be useless these days fixing their decaying infrastructure. The noise on my own line was intermittent and the fifth engineer noticed it was worse with the router plugged in so said call the ISP as an ADSL engineer was needed. The ISP was reluctant to call out BT and started messing me around with pointless tests.

As the expiry time on a good cashback deal on cable was drawing near I just cut my losses and ditched the BT line entirely and moved to cable.Unforunately I presume that option isn't available to you. All I can suggest is that once you are certain there is no fault with your internal wiring and filetering just keep calling and complaining.

Incidentally you are not stuck with BT as an ISP just because there is no LLU - most ISPs resell the BTw product and just about any you care to choose is cheaper, and offers better customer service than BT.
  • johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I wish you good luck with this as BT appear to be useless these days fixing their decaying infrastructure. The noise on my own line was intermittent and the fifth engineer noticed it was worse with the router plugged in so said call the ISP as an ADSL engineer was needed. The ISP was reluctant to call out BT and started messing me around with pointless tests.

As the expiry time on a good cashback deal on cable was drawing near I just cut my losses and ditched the BT line entirely and moved to cable.Unforunately I presume that option isn't available to you. All I can suggest is that once you are certain there is no fault with your internal wiring and filetering just keep calling and complaining.

Incidentally you are not stuck with BT as an ISP just because there is no LLU - most ISPs resell the BTw product and just about any you care to choose is cheaper, and offers better customer service than BT.

i have similar problems with mine and dont live a million miles from op in weston super mare,bt line sky broadband the problem lies with bt equipment somewhere between my house and junction box although engineer insists on getting something in exchange swapped.they cannot connect their equipment to my line but can at junction box so even though i am no bt/adsl engineer i know it aint a problem in exchange.
    if only i could get rid of bt and have virgin installed unfortunatly not in my area,even if bt eventually get it working max speed they reckon i could get is 1.5meg????
    come on bt about time the phone lines were upgraded my house and line is only 4 years old but the rubbish cable fitted means no end of problems according to engineer aluminium was used vice the more expensive and better copper cable.
  • pineapplefish75
    Options
    well contacted bt as advised in this post & so far no reply.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Pineapplefish75 on what date did you send me in the email.

I apologise for the lack of reply can you advise if you got a confirmation of it being received can you send it to me again to get it chased up for you.

Stuart
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why do you say you are 'stuck with BT'? You may not have any LLU options on your exchange (look at https://www.samknows.com) but you can still use any one of dozens of non-LLU providers who are better and cheaper than BT.
    However by the sound of it you have a physical line problem which changing ISP will not resolve, you need to keep pushing to get Openreach to get their act together.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport