Free EHIC Discussion

edited 2 June 2010 at 1:59PM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
292 replies 98.8K views

Replies

• My questions are as follows:

When we visit his family in France for holidays, does he need an EHIC if he requires treatment in France, the country of which he is a National but not a resident?

And

Which country should he apply to for a renewed EHIC, the UK where he is resident, or France of which he is the National?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

He needs the uk ehic, actually the france one was no more valid from the moment he became a uk resident and under NHS
    GC June £75.60/£300
  • edited 19 October 2011 at 8:45AM
    maimee_magicmaimee_magic Forumite
    388 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 19 October 2011 at 8:45AM
    Went online last night to renew our EHIC and the 1st site on the search list was http://www.nhs-direct.org.uk/ and assumed it was the official site by the name. Filled in all our details then realised when they asked for payment that something wasn't right so checked on MSE. I've advised the OFT about them but I'm really concerned that they now have all our details! I've emailed and asked for them to remove them from their system but can't help worrying.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I's not worry if you didn't enter your payment details.

They can't take any money if you didn't give any card details.
  • maimee_magicmaimee_magic Forumite
    388 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm not worried about them taking money I'm worried who they might sell my details to. If they're unscrupulous enough to set up this scam they're obviously not honest people.
    31.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not worried about them taking money I'm worried who they might sell my details to. If they're unscrupulous enough to set up this scam they're obviously not honest people.

It clearly says (on the left-hand side under 'Applying for EHIC - your options'):
    2. Online at the NHSBSA website - www.ehic.org.uk. There is no application review service, and no service fee (the EHIC is free of charge). N.B. the NHSBSA website is not open 24/7 (it's generally inaccessible for several hours overnight). You should allow up to 2 weeks for your card(s) to arrive.
    This is option 2, option 1 is to use their chargeable service.

It also clearly says (on the right hand side under 'EHIC facts & essential information)'
    EHICs are issued free via the NHSBSA and you may apply direct without incurring any verification service fee.

I'd have thought that anybody would read 'options' and 'essential information' before entering any information at all.

So why is it a scam?

I have seen some websites that have been far less up-front with their website about charging for the service.

I'm assuming that you didn't put your financial information in so what information of yours do they have and who do you think they might sell that information to?
  • Whilst in India earlier in the year I met a guy who was a multi millionaire in the lobby of a quite beautiful hotel in Mumbai (The Oberoi) We were chatting at the bar and got onto the topic of what he did for a living. He explained that he filled in forms for others and it had made him a multi millionaire. I obviously was a bit taken aback and he explained that literacy levels were low in many areas of India and so he provided a service where he filled in Visa application forms for countries such as the UK and USA. He made sure all the relevant information was provided and so the applicants could be 100% sure that they were giving their applications for Visas the best possible chance and any hold ups wouldn't be because of something filled incorrectly on the form.

This bloke had come up with a simple idea and it had made him a fortune. People were happy, he was happy.

The moral of the story is this: If you are capable of filling out a form correctly then there is no need for this type of service, If you can't then perhaps there is.
    31.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story, Mr Wang.

I guess it's the same with visas for India.

You can either go to the official VFS website and do it yourself or engage the services of a visa agent who will charge you exactly the same as you would pay to VFS yourself PLUS their mark-up which may be as much again as the actual visa cost.

I can understand people who are not used to filling in forms or aren't confident on a PC using an agent, nothing wrong with choosing a value-added service and someone to help you.
    388 Posts
    ✭✭
    Pollycat, I called it a scam because of the web address they are using looks as if it's official, therefore deceptive, as detailed on this site and have advised the OFT accordingly. The information input does not need checking and am sure it isn't. The information supplied by me was name, address, NI number and date of birth and so am naturally concerned that some unoffical company now has it. I agree I should have taken more time to read the site more carefully but was in a hurry and fooled by the web address.
    31.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat, I called it a scam because of the web address they are using looks as if it's official, therefore deceptive, as detailed on this site and have advised the OFT accordingly. The information input does not need checking and am sure it isn't. The information supplied by me was name, address, NI number and date of birth and so am naturally concerned that some unoffical company now has it. I agree I should have taken more time to read the site more carefully but was in a hurry and fooled by the web address.

I view these sorts of sites as guilty of sharp practice rather than scams, cons, rip-offs etc (there's a difference).

The 2 bits of information they have of yours that's not in the public domain is your NI no & dob.

I'm not sure what a dishonest company could do with that information.

However, I assume that there's lots of people in the same situation as you - probably those who have gone even further and provided their financial details too, and not just to the website you found but lots of similar websites.

If you can't get their confirmation that they've removed your details from their database, I'm not sure what else you can do.
    388 Posts
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the word scam is a bit strong as no doubt they do pass on your details. No confirmation of removal received though so not sure there's anything I can do about it. Hopefully, the OFT will do something about them.