292 replies 98.8K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    luci wrote: »
    You can apply to renew an EHIC up to six months before the expiry date

That answers your question

Exactly; that's why I edited my post in case you didn't notice.
  • Renewed my cards last night on a website I thought was the official NHS site. It was only after I paid the £14.99 that I realised that they are issued free. I contacted my bank straight away to cancel the payment but they couldn't as I had used my debit card. I also tried the number on the website to cancel and they just give the NHS number - what a cheek. Is there anything I can do to cancel this application and get my money back??? Can anyone advise?
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to France and need to see a doctor, get a prescription etc, here are a couple of tips.
    Always carry your EHIC and Passport with you, the hospital emergency unit will need it if you go there.
    If you see a doctor, dentist, get a prescription etc you need to pay upfront, then send the brown or green form with the prescription to the local CPAM, making sure the labels from drug packages have been attached, give your UK address and include a copy of your EHIC. You will then be refunded a proportion, up to 70%, of the fees you have paid. If you are seriously ill or injured there no upfront payment for treatment required, but you will probably have to pay for an ambulance.
  • travelgrantravelgran Forumite
    297 Posts
    For the first time ever I used my EHIC card after a fall in Switzerland. After a doctor's consultation at the local hospital, X-rays (and being given the DVD to take home) splinting and compression bandage, anti-inflamatories plus a tetanus booster I showed my EHIC card and passport and paid
    absolutely nothing!
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    znoodle wrote: »
    Renewed my cards last night on a website I thought was the official NHS site. It was only after I paid the £14.99 that I realised that they are issued free. I contacted my bank straight away to cancel the payment but they couldn't as I had used my debit card. I also tried the number on the website to cancel and they just give the NHS number - what a cheek. Is there anything I can do to cancel this application and get my money back??? Can anyone advise?

This is just one thread of many discussing the EHIC websites who charge, use the 'Search' facility on EHIC (on the green horizontal bar).

From the websites I've seen, they do say (and not just in the small print) that you can get the card for free from the official site so I doubt if you could get your money back.
    Lots of others have tried and failed.

Office of Fair Trading are again 'targetting' these websites but as fast as they close them down, they spring up again.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2011/07/oft-targets-copycat-websites
  • edited 29 July 2011 at 7:40AM
    LaraLara Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2011 at 7:40AM
    I got treated at a hospital in Malta. Totally free, including the prescription, and I didn't show any paperwork.

I ended up in hospital in Malta last year too and have nothing but priase for them. Didn't cost us a penny and we had to delay our flights by a few days too. That is another example why people really should take out travel insurance when travelling outside the UK.
  • znoodle wrote: »
    Renewed my cards last night on a website I thought was the official NHS site. It was only after I paid the £14.99 that I realised that they are issued free. I contacted my bank straight away to cancel the payment but they couldn't as I had used my debit card. I also tried the number on the website to cancel and they just give the NHS number - what a cheek. Is there anything I can do to cancel this application and get my money back??? Can anyone advise?

I've just done exactly the same thing. Don't think you can cancel or get a refund, as you're paying for a 'service'. It's so frustrating, and I'm kicking myself thoroughly at the minute.

But I've learnt my lesson from this, which is to check very thoroughly what I'm doing before I part with my cash, and ALWAYS to double-check the advice on MSE if I'm in any doubt. In this case, it would have only taken a few minutes, and I'd have saved myself some money...
  • hello,
    can anyone remember which site was charging you £9.99 to apply for the ehic.I didn't get mine and I am now in dispute through my credit card but I can't remember which site it was as I didn't keep a copy of the site I used.
    Thanks for any help.
  • davidlizarddavidlizard Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    jeanna wrote: »
    hello,
    can anyone remember which site was charging you £9.99 to apply for the ehic.I didn't get mine and I am now in dispute through my credit card but I can't remember which site it was as I didn't keep a copy of the site I used.
    Thanks for any help.

There's been a fair few that have been charging £9.99 for this "service". The chances are the OFT have closed the site down.

Do you have a record of the site you visited in your internet search history.
  • No DAVIDLIZARD I don't have anything.
    I applied in May the money was taken from my credit card and they are going to try and get it back but I don't even know the name of the company.
    I phoned a number last Wdnesday from what I thought was the site I used but it was the proper site and they sent me them out this week.