PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Descaling a shower head?

Options
12346»

Comments

• madvixen
    madvixen Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bicarb of soda works on mine. Mix it into a paste with some water, paste it on, leave for an hour and then rinse off.
  • wannabee_in_credit
    Options
    This is one I can help with (being a chemistry teacher). Limestone is a build up of solid bases, so the best way to get rid is to use an acid. Your best options are:
    vinegar (as has already been mentioned)
    lemon juice
    cola (nasty phosphoric acid in it, but lovely for descaling).

My first proper OS tip! :D
    Ninja Saving Turtle
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    descaling a shower head has loads of ideas

ill merge this later on

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I make a paste of bicarb (cos it bubbles and gets into all the little holes) and either vinegar or lemon juice - depending on what I have in stock! smear it thickly over the shower head and wrap in damp kitchen towel or J cloths. l leave it for a couple of hours or overnight if no-one is using the shower then rinse off.
  • Libretia*
    Options
    Bicarb works, also i use lemons as descalers. TheEy are especially good left overnight in a boiled kettle of water.
    Every penny's a prisoner!

GC January £14.01/£100

Jan NSD's 4/15
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBH you don't need white vinegar - cheap and cheerful brown vinegar works a treat.

Sit your shower head in a mug and pour in vinegar. Leave for a few hours (over night is fine) and Robert is your father's brother.

You can even use that vinegar for cleaning other things too, such as bunging it in the loo to remove limescale - even the er... discoloured stuff.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • leonardw
    Options
    I have an Aqualisa thermostatic shower. The head is chrome plated rather plastic which I've use the vinegar method on before.

Aqualisa website says says about limesacle
    "The best way to do this is to remove the shower head completely and immerse it fully in a mild proprietary descalent. Substances that are not suitable for plastics and electroplated surfaces must not be used to descale your shower head."

Is vinegar method safe and won't tarnish the head?
  • querom44
    Options
    Hi - I've got a drench (sometimes called rain) shower head, it REALLY needs cleaning, but I can't see how I can remove it to soak and a bag won't go over it and attach (it's quite wide, I've tried really large freezer bags but attaching it is a nightmare). Any suggestions, I feel I should be able to remove it, but I can't see how and I'm worried I'll damage it. Any thoughts. Thanks.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    querom44 wrote: »
    Hi - I've got a drench (sometimes called rain) shower head, it REALLY needs cleaning, but I can't see how I can remove it to soak and a bag won't go over it and attach (it's quite wide, I've tried really large freezer bags but attaching it is a nightmare). Any suggestions, I feel I should be able to remove it, but I can't see how and I'm worried I'll damage it. Any thoughts. Thanks.

What about using cling film? I'd try soaking a cloth in vinegar and wrap round the shower head, then cover with cling film as best you can. I use vinegar on my chrome shower heads and taps with no problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure