PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stinky Dishwasher.

Options
Hi.This is my first thread so I hope I get it right!!

I usually buy the branded dishwasher fresheners and they don't last as long as they should.I only put it on 3 times a week max as there is only 2 of us and i use Finish 3 in 1 tablets which I'm kinda happy with.When I put cutlery and crockery in it I do rinse most of the food off.

Can anyone give me some inexpensive tips on keeping it smelling fresh?

Thanks all. ;D ;D ;D

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yup ;D

cut a lemon in half and put it in on the last rinse if you can just throw the two halves in near the end of the cylcle

leave them there

put dishes away and spray with a solution of 1 part white vinegar 1 spoon of bicarb and 6 parts water

so say an eggcup of vinegar dsrt spoon bicarb and 6 eggcups of water

spray all over the inside and the seals

if you want instead of the lemons left there just scoop out the pulp when you take the dishes out and fill the void with bicarb and it will smell like a rose next time you open it
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thx cathy,my dishwasher has 3 cycles only.Rinse,wash and off.I can't open the door once it is switched on.Would it work if I put the lemon halves into an empty dishwasher and put it on a wash cycle? If I put the lemons into the washer with the dishes won't they taste of lemons?

Thx for all your help. ;D ;D ;D
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my dishwasher locks when started too, but i tried the leomons on an empty wash tonight, and it smelt good. thx cathy.
  • shelly
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thx for the replies.I am going to try the lemon trick on an empty wash tomorrow but was wondering how long the freshness will last?Will I need to keep doing it say,once a week?

Thx again.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yep bout once a week  should keep it nice and fresh

sorry my dishy is ancient so didnt think about the locking door

hang your dishcloth on a rack when your washing the dishes and it cleans and sterelises it
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooh never thought of putting dishcloth in, like that idea, usually boil kettle to do it.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I throw the lot in

spongy scoury thingy brush spontex (where would we be without spontex)
    and sometimes I even throw the old fart in as well
  • shelly
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I never thought to but sponges/cloths in either.Will try all of them tomorrow!! thx again for all your help.

;D ;D ;D
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    yup ;D

just scoop out the pulp when you take the dishes out   and fill the void with bicarb  and it will smell like a rose next time you open it

No Cathy, it will smell like a ..lemon! ;D
    I'm going to try this tonight as my old dishwasher opens midcycle and with this hot weather, it seems to smell horrid much more quickly.
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well, did it smell like a rose or a lemon, or a rosey lemon or a lemony rose???c'mon tell us tell us
    ;D ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport