We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've always sent them meter readings on a monthly basis and received a paperless bill by email.
    When I was with them, I too provided readings every month. I also had a variable direct debit so that I paid for exactly what I sued every month. I also checked my bill every month to make sure they didn't owe ME any money.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Bennyg82
    Bennyg82 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I found this post by complete accident and got sucked into reading a few posts. I am and have been a distributor for 7 years. I'm not a great one. I've done relatively little and earned a fraction of what my actual job pays me but I understand I could do more and on the back earn more. My parents actual have retired on a reasonable income through this, although I know they have consistently worked at it for many years and still do. Most of my customers are friends (no family - my folks got all of those). To earn you have to work really hard in the short term. I've not fallen out with any of my friends who have become customers over it and I've certainly not fallen out with people who didn't want to become a customer - it isn't for everyone.

I have been a customer for 7 years also. before that I was with British Gas for 4 years and guess what, I never checked bills or changed tariffs. I was indeed over paying. There are people out there who want the easy life, can't be bothered to change and are happy with what they are getting for the money they are paying.

I just wanted to voice my opinion - no really point to this post about UW. I know that we (UW) try and get multi service customers, not gas and electricity only ones. The company makes them less attractive by offering less incentives and I guess (yes this is an opinion) having higher rates compared with others on comparison websites when this is how they are compared. UW are open that they look for bundled customers that are home owners and want customers to stay for a long time.

UW do offer better tariffs when people bundle stuff up and again I am sure if you switch every product, every year, you will probably be able to save a few quid and that is great for most - not everyone however. I do think when people embrace the club, get free light bulbs with free replacements, one bill, UK call centres, cashback and allow them to get the best tariffs it is a pretty decent proposition on the whole. I book a lot of hotels through work and have a cashback card so regularly get about £25 - £30 cashback per month which might not be massive but it pays for my mobile and it is money I would spend anyway.

They may not be for everyone and they may not always be the cheapest. They may have made mistakes. I do benefit from them but I think they are pretty good. I wouldn't consider myself a sales man for them. I've worked as a salesman for other jobs and left because I didn't believe in the product. With this I do, perhaps at some point I may choose to spend more time trying to grow my position.

I'd just encourage people to understand the whole package and not dismiss because their stand alone gas and electricity prices do not stand up to the cheapest of the day on a comparison website.

Excellent procrastination from me - back to researching bank accounts.
  • GoodKingNige
    Options
    Well, I have now come to a conclusion following my research - but I'm not going to post it here because my previous post was blocked for reasons that I'm afraid I can't agree with. The reason given for the block was "self-promotion" - which certainly was not the case - and there doesn't seem to be any mechanism here for disputing this.

It's unfortunate - but if the site isn't prepared to hear the good along with the bad then I'm not prepared to post either. It's cost me £100 (I won't get the discounted £10 rate that I originally signed up with because I didn't fulfil the terms - ie I didn't sign up the requisite number of new customers - so I'll have to pay the full rate) - and I could have given an unbiased view of the scheme, but due to a moderation policy with which I can't agree I'll post it in a forum which will accept a full and frank view. I'll also be posting a review of this website on a forum which doesn't censor posts on spurious grounds.

For what it's worth - the UW distributor "job" is not one that I'll be doing because it doesn't fit in with my ethics. (And for those who have, like me, taken the plunge - doesn't that Wes Linden guy just have a face that you just want to punch? ;))
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bennyg82 wrote: »

I'd just encourage people to understand the whole package and not dismiss because their stand alone gas and electricity prices do not stand up to the cheapest of the day on a comparison website.

Excellent procrastination from me - back to researching bank accounts.

There's the issue above, people have different TV providers, Broadband providers and even different gas and electric providers for one purposes.... To save money

If companies like UW do not provide this, whole or not, people will move along.

The UW are very uncompetitive and I don't even want to even touch their BB.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Bennyg82 wrote: »
    They may not be for everyone and they may not always be the cheapest. They may have made mistakes. I do benefit from them but I think they are pretty good. I wouldn't consider myself a sales man for them. I've worked as a salesman for other jobs and left because I didn't believe in the product. With this I do, perhaps at some point I may choose to spend more time trying to grow my position.

This seems to be the 'new' approach of UW salesmen - and don't forget they are salesmen - generalised statements that do not stand up to scrutiny when the facts are examined.

If UW were 'Money Saving' then a whole host of UW salesmen would be here with specific examples of savings.

The fact is that UW are still one of the most expensive gas and electricity suppliers in UK. Checking this morning UW's cheapest tariff (their 'Double gold') is 30.6% more expensive than
    the cheapest available dual fuel tariff(Midlands) for someone on the UK average consumption.

If we take gas and electricity from separate suppliers then UW's cheapest tariff is 39.5% more expensive.

It should also be noted that to get UW's cheapest tariff(which is listed in 64th place) the conditions state:

Customers signing up to this tariff must take the Double Gold bundle which includes Home Phone, Broadband, Mobile
  • Cardew
    Options
    Well, I have now come to a conclusion following my research - but I'm not going to post it here because my previous post was blocked for reasons that I'm afraid I can't agree with. The reason given for the block was "self-promotion" - which certainly was not the case - and there doesn't seem to be any mechanism here for disputing this.

It's unfortunate - but if the site isn't prepared to hear the good along with the bad then I'm not prepared to post either. It's cost me £100 (I won't get the discounted £10 rate that I originally signed up with because I didn't fulfil the terms - ie I didn't sign up the requisite number of new customers - so I'll have to pay the full rate) - and I could have given an unbiased view of the scheme, but due to a moderation policy with which I can't agree I'll post it in a forum which will accept a full and frank view. I'll also be posting a review of this website on a forum which doesn't censor posts on spurious grounds.

For what it's worth - the UW distributor "job" is not one that I'll be doing because it doesn't fit in with my ethics. (And for those who have, like me, taken the plunge - doesn't that Wes Linden guy just have a face that you just want to punch? ;))

As I stated in an earlier post, this forum, and similar on the web, are simply fed up with UW salesmen trying subtle ways to promote UW, so the Moderators simply block posts.

Quite honestly your 'research' is not necessary. Plenty of disillusioned ex UW salesmen have posted on this thread and elsewhere.

This forum is about money saving and anyone wanting to find out about UW charges simply need to consult ANY comparison website and can find out just how expensive are UW charges(or read my post above).

If charges alone don't deter potential customers, then reading UW's terms and conditions should! e.g. to get UW's cheapest tariff(which is still 30+% more expensive than the cheapest available) you must take UW's home phone, broadband and mobile.
  • EJGunn
    Options
    I've been a member of UW for over 8 years. As a company I have no complaints about their energy or telephone or broadband. Although there customer service from experience has been up and down but I received answers I needed.
    I have felt though at times to be a 'number' and hassled at times to become an ID. Recently though out of interest I decided to do a comparison with other suppliers and discovered that for me they were not the cheapest and I could save between £200-£300. I contacted UW to let them know that due to this I was considering switching unless they could convince or suggest how my bill could be lowered. After two weeks I heard nothing other than an automatic confirmation that my email had been recieved. So I decided to save money and switch. I have no recieved a reply from UW who have confirmed that I am leaving and to let me know that I will be charged an administrator fee of £8.33 + VAT to end my broadband. My long service obviously counts for nothing. It's about time companies started to think about their existing loyal customers and offering them the same offers that new customers can access.

If you choose to join UW because it is the cheapest for you remember in 12 months to compare again to ensure it is still the cheapest. I was surprised as I had been led to believe they were the cheapest around. They are not.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    EJGunn wrote: »
    I was surprised as I had been led to believe they were the cheapest around. They are not.
    I used to have all services with UW and was a rep as at one point they were good value for money. They still can be if one spends a lot with the cashback card. All I've got with them now is my wife's PAYG mobile and the card. Now we get a payment from them every month. Usually about £4-5 but when we bought carpets last year it was over £60.

You're right, as consumers/customers we need to always be aware of how much we're paying and if it is best value for each of us in our own circumstances.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • kerry3280
    Options
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help. I have posted in another couple of places but it seems what I'm asking is non-standard!

Ok so here goes. I am in arrears with my gas and electricity to the tune of £150.00. I got contacted by Grosvenor Bailiffs who sent a letter saying that I am in arrears to the tune of £350.00 - they give a breakdown including an extra £200 for a 'security deposit' - hence the £350 total. Fast forward they applied to the court for a warrant of entry based on the fact that I am £350 in arrears.

Now I have agreed to pay the arrears on the 29th of this month (payday) and on that basis they are holding off on executing the warrant. However, I want to pay the arrears. The money that I actually owe, not the £200 'security deposit' which is not a debt in my view.

It appears that they have also gone before the court to get the warrant based on the £350 'arrears' without telling the court that £200 of that is for a security deposit. I didn't attend as I'm not well and they told me that they'd hold fire on executing it.

Oh and I contacted them today to ask for a copy of the warrant and they refused to let me have sight of it.

So, is the warrant even legal?
    If I pay the £150 of actual debt, can they still force their way in?

Thanks all!
  • Cardew
    Options
    Are you sure that they did go to court? Did the Court notify you of the time and date of the hearing?

I would contact the court and send them a copy of the letter about the extra £200 - they clearly cannot claim for something you don't owe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure