We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why do people sign up to this junk, I looked at the deals and it is certainly not money saving. It's a Ponzi scheme and you have to have loads of people under you to feed you and it becomes a rat race.

It's the same with Avon sellers, poor quality products and yet your feeding the person your buying off, often pressuring too.

Some might say friends and family are the easiest to make money off.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is UW independent or does it belong on the quiet to some other outfit?

I chanced to do a trace on the net recently and ended up at an IP for Amazon with similar ones en route. Weird!
  • csgohan4
    Options
    oldwiring wrote: »
    Is UW independent or does it belong on the quiet to some other outfit?

I chanced to do a trace on the net recently and ended up at an IP for Amazon with similar ones en route. Weird!

Read the reviews for UW everyone and ensure you all make an informed choice.

For everyone else use the Cheap energy club and various collective switching schemes
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Oldwiring There's a clue in the title of the thread - Telecom Plus.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 9 August 2016 at 1:19PM
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Read the reviews for UW everyone and ensure you all make an informed choice.

For everyone else use the Cheap energy club and various collective switching schemes

The problem is there are some 30,000 UW salesmen and there is plenty of evidence that they infest the web giving reviews.

This is why Martin has decreed that all mention of UW on MSE must be confined to this thread - read his opening post.

Utility Warehouse

This is a special area for the discussion of Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus).

Unfortunately, it has become the topic for heated debate in the past and detracted from the main gas & electricity discussions. Therefore I would like to keep it restricted to just this discussion. Past discussions have been closed due to too many arguments between posters. This is a huge drain on resources and if it continues in this thread we'll have no choice but to keep the thread locked.

What is Utility Warehouse?

Unlike most energy companies and resellers Utility Warehouse operates by network marketing which means its customers are encouraged to sell on the product to their friends and they get commission for it.

This tends to mean it does well on feedback charts, as customers have a vested interest, and many of them are evangelical about the firm – and sometimes over claim. That in itself doesn’t make the product bad, but in our view it is no better or worse than any other energy provider.

Utility Warehouses prices are included in all the main comparison services we list therefore if the company turns out to be cheapest for you it should be listed by the comparison sites and then it’s worth going for. Please see the Compare gas & electricity guide for more.

Some strict rules

Due to rather bitter discussion about this we have had long term rules established.

•All Telecom Plus Distributors must declare it when they post
    •All workers or those related to other utility companies must declare it
    •There are to be no abusive comments, accusations of fraud.
    •Anyone breaking the above rules will be barred first of all from this board, and if they persist, from the Forums as a whole.

We hate having to be so draconian, yet this problem has lasted a long time.

For general, non-UW, discussions on gas & electricity click here.

And please, I know there are two very polemic views on Utility Warehouse going to be expressed in this thread. Please do not libel anyone. Treat those with opposing arguments with respect, even though you disagree and please try and avoid personal remarks. I live in hope!
    Despite that post there have been loads of people pretending they are not UW salesmen.

Other websites have banned any 'reviews' of UW for the same reasons. On any 'readers feedback' review UW always are top, or near the top, in all categories - even for cost, when they are consistently one of the most expensive in UK.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    The problem is there are some 30,000 UW salesmen and there is plenty of evidence that they infest the web giving reviews.

This is why Martin has decreed that all mention of UW on MSE must be confined to this thread - read his opening post.

Despite that post there have been loads of people pretending they are not UW salesmen.

Other websites have banned any 'reviews' of UW for the same reasons. On any 'readers feedback' review UW always are top, or near the top, in all categories - even for cost, when they are consistently one of the most expensive in UK.

I agree the tariffs are daylight robbery, they are not competitive at all. You would have to be a complete mug to go for it. I pity the sorry Bernard OAP next door who gets hood winked by them.

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My son moved into a property in May supplied by UW. Gave them opening readings and told them he was switching. Switch went ahead in early June, new supplier gave readings to UW who sent out bill accordingly and were paid.

July bill arrives from UW for June use based on estimates as no reading given.
    August bill arrives from UW for July use based on estimates as no reading given.

Looks at his on line account and "no services supplied"

He is also getting bills for the previous owner even though he supplied them with their new address after the first one arrived.

Bunch of jokers.
  • Patty_Odore
    Options
    Evening all,
    Just had a massive gas bill from Utility Warehouse, which has really unsettled me. I've been with them for two years and have recently moved house. I have stayed with them because they have always been reasonable and I thought their prices were fair. I've always sent them meter readings on a monthly basis and received a paperless bill by email.

However, over the last 18 months my gas consumption has increased, so much so that I now owe them £250. They only thought to tell me this because I moved and I'm amazed that there wasn't a yearly review - surely other providers do this? Now I owe them £250 and am having to arrange to pay it off over 12 months.

The paperless bill they email me does show how much gas I've consumed, but this is at the end of 4 pages in very small print. It's really p*ssed me off.

:mad:

Patty
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Utilty Warehouse is avery contencious subject on this forum, so much so that it has it's own dedicated thread.

I'm certainly not an expert, but reading through seems to indicate that if you use every service offered in the pack, and you are a large household, it can work out cheaper - Outside that UW have Gas & Elec prices that are easily beaten elsewhere
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    We have been with Utility Warehouse in the past, their only good point was being able to pay for the energy actually used on a monthly basis, rather than a fixed amount which tends to yo-yo up and down at each review.

UW give the impression they are a members run club :rotfl: they are nowhere near the value you can get with a collective switch, such as the MSE one in September. Unfortunately, you might have to settle the outstanding bill before you can switch.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure