Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Options

Comments

• davie24
    davie24 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe they should take the child out for a walk instead :-)
  • grayme-m
    grayme-m Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hermum wrote: »
    Sometimes when someone replies to an offer of mine I'm at the computer & so reply within seconds of their email, they're the ones that often don't reply again.
    If I was hoping to pick something up through freecycle I would try & check my messages frequently.
    Most people who opt to give things away want it gone asap. Not when someone returns from a few days away.

Well said, additionally sometimes you just need to get rid of something quickly, a sofabed being large may be something like this.

We offered a two seater sofa, wanted it out quickly as the new one was arriving (it's hard to plan when sofa deliveries are notified last minute).

We gave the full facts, it was lucky that it was a nice couple of days otherwise the third person we offered it to, would not have got it.
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • pixwix
    pixwix Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's inevitable that where anything is offered for free you'll always get the greedy but un-needy trying their luck. They do say that Moses was only offered one commandment, but asked for 10 when he learned they were free...

Our local Freecycle has become such a mecca for tryers-on, I've long ago given up either offering or looking there.

Some years before Freecycle started up, my wife answered an ad in the Wanted column of our local paper - someone looking for a small electric boiler to make tea. We'd had an almost new one lying unused for years, so she phoned to say they could have it for very little.

Oh - they said - payment was out of the question (they hadn't mentioned that in their advert!) They were a 'local charity' some 30 miles away and needed a boiler for their functions. At which point I'd have hung up (having never heard of them). But my wife is a soft-hearted soul, and told them that if they were a charity they could indeed have it free.

Marvellous! When could she deliver it? Oh - and could she make it a specific time, as they were busy people (!!!). I don't often hear my wife use profanity - I'd covered my ears by then, but her answer seemed to involve procreating in another locality.:D I honestly thought she'd broken the phone as she slammed it down.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    People really take the !!!! with freecycle now. If i have something I want to get rid of I will reply to someones wanted add rather than listing it as the same old people and the endless emails get a bit boring. If I want something I always post a wanted as I find thats the only way i get anything. I only ever ask for stupid stuff like old books or carpet for the unit flooring.

In the last couple of weeks people have been asking for cars, laptops, cameras, mobile phones. But they don't just want something that works it has to be a new model etc

The people who want it delivered take the mick. I advertised a wardrobe and had some single mob give me a sob story saying she would do me a favour and take it off my hands but i would HAVE to deliver FOC to her 25 miles away, i promptly replied that the dump was 23 miles closer so that is the only place i would be delivering it. I have delivered stuff to people before but its the way you ask for help rather than demand the help.
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • pixwix
    pixwix Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    pixwix wrote: »
    Our local Freecycle has become such a mecca for tryers-on, I've long ago given up either offering or looking there.

Actually, I take that bit back. I've just looked in on our local Freecycle, and I now realise I've been missing the biggest laughs since Morecambe and Wise! Back in the Boomarks, then.:D
  • folkestonelisa
    Options
    Hi we need a dining table and chairs, medium sized or large table needed
    would prefer 6 chairs but would be happy with four. can you deliver to
    us as we dont drive?

Me too if anyone has one. It would save me buying one :rotfl:
  • NiallB
    NiallB Posts: 730 Forumite
    Options
    i advertised a large cardboard box earlier on today that my baby's travel system came in.......just got the following reply.... tis a sorry state of affairs when you don't know what a cardboard box looks like??!!

Quote:
    i am curious, do you have a pic of your huge box i could be interested

Sounds a bit rude to me :rotfl:
  • lolseh
    lolseh Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of people asking for bikes on mine just now. Some person is being rather persistant and asked 2 days in a row for 2 bikes. Well there is me who desperatly wants a bike saving hard to get one.. Maybe I should post a sympathy story on freecycle :T

Also someone looking for a boat if someone has one lying around. Now where is that spare boat in my back garden :rotfl:
  • judderman62
    judderman62 Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    Options
    lolseh wrote: »
    Lots of people asking for bikes on mine just now. Some person is being rather persistant and asked 2 days in a row for 2 bikes. Well there is me who desperatly wants a bike saving hard to get one.. Maybe I should post a sympathy story on freecycle :T

Also someone looking for a boat if someone has one lying around. Now where is that spare boat in my back garden :rotfl:

well it has rained a lot today :)
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • timeportal
    timeportal Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    NiallB wrote: »
    Sounds a bit rude to me :rotfl:

Glad im not the only one here whos mind is fully in the gutter, I thought the same:beer:
    Wins 2015:-

Jan; Jelly Belly Bean dispenser and beans
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills