rules for holidaying abroad on income support

Options

Comments

• tink_the_stink
    Options
    Always best to tell income support you are going abroad, can still get benefit for 4 wks but not many people go away for that long anyway.

Income Support may suspend your payments until you let them know your back, I always explain it as a just in case you get ill or have an accident whilst abroad which means you spend longer than planned on away, then you shouldn't be overpaid paid benefits.

If you was claiming for help with mortgage & happened to be away for more than 4 weeks & had to reclaim there is a 52 wk linking rule which means wouldn't have a serve a qualifying period again would just go back to same amount of help.

I'm sure most people who read this do get annoyed when they see benefit customers being able to afford to go abroad as any money paid is suppose to make every day life easier not provide a saving scheme.

By the way dmg24 I live near an airport & worked with DWP fraud, many times we received "landing cards" from travellers returning to the UK, this told us alot of details about that person & its just an easy cross reference check to see if benefits have been claimed whilst abroad! So please don't be fooled DWP have many ways of finding out info.
  • purplegirl283
    Options
    Hi there. Can I just say you don't know people's individual circumstances. For me my partner is away, I do not actually 'holiday' abroad. When I am home I claim the bare minimum I can because I don't want to overclaim. I go away for £25.00 and then spend less over there than I do at home. When I'm home I help with food bills electric bills. I don't claim housing benefit. My home life isn't condusive to my receovering from various operations. I live with 5 people normally, it doesn't help me to get better. I was working 80 hour weeks before I got ill.
  • Where exactly do you go for £25?
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Original thread is over 2.5 years old!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Invalidation
    Options
    sealady wrote: »
    I just get rather peeved when you hear about people going on holiday who are claiming benefits which is paying off their mortgage and and council tax when I am not even able to afford to get on the property ladder and when I am working and paying taxes.

Me thinks something is wrong here!

Tell ya what?
    Ill swap my Disability for your health any time you want, OK
    Walk a mile in my shoes then judge, (though I'd have problems walking 10 yards)
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
  • mazzybaby33
    Options
    Walk a mile in my shoes then judge, (though I'd have problems walking 10 yards)

I neva judge anyone until I have walked a mile in their shoes. Cos then at least I will be a mile away and I will still have their shoes!!!

mouhahahahah This forum is bonkers!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Original thread is over 2.5 years old!

This is why all threads should automatically be locked after a period of time - you don't get this problem on TripAdvisor! ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • choree
    Options
    Dont Flatter yourself,
    Your taxes pay to station troops in Germany, the Falkslands, Ireland, The USA, Canada, Gibatar and a number of other places
    in addition it pays for the wars against Iraq and Afganistan (which combined have now last longer that the war against the Nazi). It also allows the massive billion pound refurbishment polaris nuclear submarines. It pays for the police the firemen the coastgards the councils and many other things. As far as im concerened you can keep your 1penny that you give to us SCROUNGERS just so you get off your high horse and stop bullying the less fortunate. I bet you dont even vote, Go back to school get an actuall education like me a benefit scrounger who happens to have suffered a huge tradgedy and needs help to look after my fatherless children. But thanks all the same for your pathetic contribution which i am soooo gratefull for truely thanks!
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    choree wrote: »
    Dont Flatter yourself,
    Your taxes pay to station troops in Germany, the Falkslands, Ireland, The USA, Canada, Gibatar and a number of other places
    in addition it pays for the wars against Iraq and Afganistan (which combined have now last longer that the war against the Nazi). It also allows the massive billion pound refurbishment polaris nuclear submarines. It pays for the police the firemen the coastgards the councils and many other things. As far as im concerened you can keep your 1penny that you give to us SCROUNGERS just so you get off your high horse and stop bullying the less fortunate. I bet you dont even vote, Go back to school get an actuall education like me a benefit scrounger who happens to have suffered a huge tradgedy and needs help to look after my fatherless children. But thanks all the same for your pathetic contribution which i am soooo gratefull for truely thanks!

Why resurrect an old thread not andyandflo any chance are you?
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Why resurrect an old thread not andyandflo any chance are you?

No he is still in denial elsewhere!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport