rules for holidaying abroad on income support

Options

Comments

• Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Right, I've just emailed abuse and asked that this thread be locked.

It is a couple of years old now, and most of the comments are a couple of months old. It is clearly an emotive subject and people either side of the fence are riled and feel that they are entitled to be. But THIS BOARD is for HELPING people with their benefits queries. If you want to discuss it, got set up a thread on DISCUSSION TIME.

Yes, I and a few others including ArlyBarly, crossed swords a few months back, but we cleared things up. We asked that this thread be closed for a reason, NOT because we wanted to bury a thread that made us look bad, but because it was inappropriate to discuss these topics 1) on this board and 2) in this manner.

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THIS THREAD.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    Its David not John and in fact he is called Jonathan.

Post of the month! ;) x

Sorry silvercharming, I agree, the thread is long overdue being locked x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    robnye wrote: »
    so how does this work.... i work fulltime and my wife part time.... yet we cant afford to holiday abroad.......?

Ahhh but you have your health, you are not a carer working day and night for a POXY £50.55 a week? You are not disabled in anyway?

You dont know the situation, the holiday maybe a gift from family... The OP may of lived of beans for months on end... I love the judgemental! NOT
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • maltaman
    Options
    From October 2008 all persons regardless of what passport they hold will be entered on Computer on Leaving and entering UK..A file will be opened on the traveller and updated each time you move in and out along with your destination and how you paid ( cash or card etc) etc.
    Even if you buy a ticket and not embark you will still be noted.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for telling us that maltaman.

Gawd - police state here we come again........

Well...I think that answers what I was thinking...which is "Dont tell the powers-that-be if you do go on holiday". Obviously some people will have booked and paid for holiday before being told their job is gone and they are about to be on benefits....

I suppose from this new Government rule that one needs to always book ones holidays in the U.K. (ie no passport required) - so as to keep ones private life private. Errr...what difference does that make ...whether the holiday concerned is abroad or in U.K.- a holiday is a holiday is a holiday regardless of where it is.

I presume this rule is there on the excuse of "terrorists amongst us" - like a lot of other things - and innocent people on benefit may land up getting "caught out" by it though.
  • dmg24
    Options
    maltaman wrote: »
    From October 2008 all persons regardless of what passport they hold will be entered on Computer on Leaving and entering UK..A file will be opened on the traveller and updated each time you move in and out along with your destination and how you paid ( cash or card etc) etc.
    Even if you buy a ticket and not embark you will still be noted.

I am a little lost as to what relevance this has to claiming IS?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »

I dont understand hy a thread like this (bound to cause 'arguments') has been dragged back up again at all.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »

I would say the relevance is obvious - the powers-that-be will doubtless use this fact to cross-check and will then be able to tell when people on I.S. have been on holiday outside the country - even if they havent told the D.W.P. (and it is clearly not a good idea to tell the D.W.P. in order to avoid possible hassle).
  • dmg24
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    I would say the relevance is obvious - the powers-that-be will doubtless use this fact to cross-check and will then be able to tell when people on I.S. have been on holiday outside the country - even if they havent told the D.W.P. (and it is clearly not a good idea to tell the D.W.P. in order to avoid possible hassle).

If that is the message that the post is trying to put across, then it is incorrect and needlessly scaremongering. The border control measures are for exactly that, border control. The DWP will not have access to the information gathered by the BIA.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »

The point is it is part of the rules to tell the DWP if you go abroad so people should be doing this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure