rules for holidaying abroad on income support

Options

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ***Boardguide comment***

Can I please point everyone to Martin's Post.

Also the Forum Rules.
    BE NICE TO OTHER MONEYSAVERS

Remember, MoneySaving should be fun. Everyone using these boards is here for the same reason, to save money. The site’s motto is “Please be nice to other MoneySavers”. It should go without saying, but please remember that when using this forum. Please report any abusive/offensive/racist comments to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • arlybarly
    arlybarly Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    im sorry if i was upsetting anyone, i was having a very very bad day.
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry for telling you to get over yourself as well.

Hope today is going better x

Can we close this thread or something please?
  • shaky13
    shaky13 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    From DWP income support website
    If your stay abroad is temporary, you may be able to get Income Support for the first 4 weeks you are abroad. You can only do this if you are unlikely to be abroad for more than 52 weeks, would still qualify for Income Support if you had stayed in the United Kingdom, and one of the following applies to you:

* you are incapable of work because of sickness or disability and you have gone abroad only for treatment for that sickness or disability
    * you have been incapable of work for 364 days when you go abroad, you get a pensioner premium or disability premium for a partner who is going abroad with you.

You may be able to get Income Support for the first 8 weeks if:

* you, or you and a member of your family, are going abroad only to help a dependant who is going abroad for medical treatment from a qualified person, and
    * you are unlikely to be abroad for more than 52 weeks, and you would still qualify for Income Support if you had stayed in the UK.

Although I suspect many people risk taking time abroad while on Income Support, they are relying on no one reporting them. I am aware of one case where a person suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder took a winter break to sunnier climes in order to benefit her health and was in very serious trouble.

I just want to know if all this still applies. Basically i was told you can have 4 weeks entitled holiday whilst on income support. therefore never actually told the DWP my sister was going abroad. in 2004 we went abroad, for me to get married (not even a holiday!!!!). i paid for everything for my sisters costs, whilst there my father passed away, and we stayed with my 70 year old mother for the 40 day mourning period, this was beyond the 4 weeks we intended to stay. The DWP have never asked my sister why the "holiday" was so long, so they want over £500.00 back. i know she overstayed and we are willing to pay the figure back, but there must be a proviso somewhere which would allow me to appeal a decision based on the circumstances. £500.00 is still a lot of money.
    anyway i never did get married due to the circumstances and tried again in 2006 taking my mother and sister, i did get married but overstayed i think by about 2 weeks due to the monsoon season in India, and not being able to get to my bride who lived in another state to my own. Again the the DWP would like a weeks overpayment back. Any appeal possible here?
  • Elle00
    Elle00 Posts: 775 Forumite
    Options
    Oh it just goes on and on somedays doesn't it?

Love the people whinging about having to pay off mortgages and cars etc.

Wish I owned property and a car!!

1wk in Europe off peak can easily cost less than a year's car insurance costs.

Most people on benefits don't go on any holiday let alone one abroad however some of us are better with budgeting our money than others. This is the first year I'll have been on benefits for more than a few months (lone parent) but I always grab some bargain or other. I can afford £200 for a holiday if I budget properly - I can't afford to buy let alone run a car though.

Choices...
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    shaky13, I don't understand why the monsoon season would stop you returning to the UK?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • skintarooney
    skintarooney Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    robnye wrote: »
    so how does this work.... i work fulltime and my wife part time.... yet we cant afford to holiday abroad.......?

My thoughts exactly.
  • Titch89
    Titch89 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    robnye wrote: »
    so how does this work.... i work fulltime and my wife part time.... yet we cant afford to holiday abroad.......?

it's possible they paid for the holiday before they went on benefits?
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Options
    titch wrote: »
    it's possible they paid for the holiday before they went on benefits?

Exactly,a few years ago I was claiming income support as a single parent,oh and housing/council tax benefit and enjoyed a very nice holiday in the states ,booked and paid for before I unfortunately got made redundant from a well paid job !!

A couple of years previous to that my parents very kindly treated me and my son to a lovely holiday in Greece,as a birthday present - again i was in receipt of benefits.

I also have a friend who as a single parent,works part time and gets a small amount of council tax /housing benefit, she,through careful budgeting throughout the year and going without other things, manages to have a week abroad.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    This board is not for people to discuss how people on benefit spend their money. It's for people to check what they may legitimately be entitled to and what rules apply to various benefits.
    I did notice that the people referred to include a hubby on DLA Care middle rate, so he's likely to have a fairly serious condition. His wife gets Carer's Allowance for looking after him, saving the state a fair whack in paying for care assistants, all for less than £50 a week. I'd assume that they've budgeted carefully and perhaps gone without some "luxuries" to afford a holiday?

Perhaps some of the working people who feel that these people should not have a holiday would like to swap places? Just need to give up your health and make a choice between seeing a loved one cared for by strangers or give up work to care for them yourself.
    So, what's it to be? Which debilitating medical condition would you like? And tell the other half that rather than £2-300 a week wages they'll be on income support.

I for one am glad that there's a safety net for all of us, but I also hope that it's something I never have to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure