rules for holidaying abroad on income support

Options

Comments

• shaky13
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    shaky13, I don't understand why the monsoon season would stop you returning to the UK?

basically i was to get married in June, but if you recall the media the gujarat state was virtually under water. i was in one village and she in another. we had to wait until a month or so for all of it to die down so we could trek out for the marriage. Also there was no chance of coming back anyway because the weather would not permit internal flights and the train system was at a standstill.

oh also before anyone comes up with he can afford two holidays in a space of two years...well i do have a job, with all my outgoings. i budget therefore i do have money that i save for two years and take my mum and sister for a holiday. my sister is a single mum, with the usual income support, she could never afford it, what i have spare i use to give her and her son a luxury they could not afford. they are there for me, this is the the best i can give back.

so in response to my original question does anyone have an answer. why should my sister lose i because i chose to take her on a holiday that got extended because of circumstance
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    I think some of the other replies pointed you in the right direction, but the only people that can tell you for certain are the IS people. They know the full details of your sisters circumstances.
    As to whether she should "lose out", well that's down to the rules, and as with all rules you have to draw a line somewhere.
    The thing to remember with all state assistance/safety nets is not that you lose out when you step outside the rules, but that you are gaining when you stay within them.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    shaky13 wrote: »
    basically i was to get married in June, but if you recall the media the gujarat state was virtually under water. i was in one village and she in another. we had to wait until a month or so for all of it to die down so we could trek out for the marriage. Also there was no chance of coming back anyway because the weather would not permit internal flights and the train system was at a standstill.

oh also before anyone comes up with he can afford two holidays in a space of two years...well i do have a job, with all my outgoings. i budget therefore i do have money that i save for two years and take my mum and sister for a holiday. my sister is a single mum, with the usual income support, she could never afford it, what i have spare i use to give her and her son a luxury they could not afford. they are there for me, this is the the best i can give back.

so in response to my original question does anyone have an answer. why should my sister lose i because i chose to take her on a holiday that got extended because of circumstance

Were international flights cancelled also? If not, I don't believe that they would allow this reason. If your particular flights were not available, I assume that you had travel insurance that would have found a way home for you.

It was your choice to get married abroad. Your sister then chose to attend. Whilst circumstances were out of the ordinary, I still see no reason why your sister could not have returned at an earlier date. If she had been in employment, I doubt that an employer would have kept her job open for so long.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • northernlass_2
    Options
    sealady wrote: »
    I just get rather peeved when you hear about people going on holiday who are claiming benefits which is paying off their mortgage and and council tax when I am not even able to afford to get on the property ladder and when I am working and paying taxes.

Me thinks something is wrong here!
    I totally agree with you and i am on benefits at the moment, not by choice i might add, OH left me with the kids and until i find work then unfortunately benefits it is, i am better off now than when i was with OH and if i were working but that is not going to stop me looking for and finding a job. i really do think there is something wrong with the benefits system. apparently i am on the breadline because im claiming IS, yet OH was bringing less in per week than im getting now and we had everything to pay for. it is all wrong.
    i wouldnt wish anybody to be in this position we like to work for our sanity but sometimes it just isnt possibel and benefits it is, in that case if you can put a little asside each week for that break we all deserve no matter what then good on you for doing so.
    DFW red and green member
    Doing my best to lose weight and save money
  • arlybarly
    arlybarly Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    northernlass
    Why have you bumped up a thread that was asked to be closed weeks ago and not added anything significant to except to wind up people again??????
  • northernlass_2
    Options
    my sincere appologies to you, i had no idea the thread was asked to be closed "weeks ago" last post 7th july, i must have missed that post but i am entitled to give my opinion wherever and whenever i please. if this thread was not to be added too then why is it still in the benefits section of the forum, it is open to anyone who wants to comment, and how might i ask am i winding people up exactly and what has it got to do with you anyway. if i recall you have upset quite a few people on this thread or is that why you want the thread forgotten. probably.
    DFW red and green member
    Doing my best to lose weight and save money
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If someone is on Incapacity Benefit, it means that they have PAID into the system. If they have not PAID they cannot have IB.

Being in receipt of IB also means they have a sickness/disability which is stopping them from working for a particular time.

Realise this - these people have WORKED and PAID into the system. Then they find themselves unable to work through no fault of their own.

When my husband enquired whether he was allowed to take a break in the sun when he was on long-term sickness with a serious mental health condition and claiming IB, the Dr said it could only do him good and that if he could put it onto prescription he would do.

My husband worked from age 15 to age 55, twenty years of these as a Secondary School Teacher, the last ten years of his career dogged by illness which he battled as best he could. He stayed at work, apart from two long-term (around a year) bouts of illness, until he could cope no more and took early retirement at 55.

Please don't tell me that by having a week in the sun that made him feel better he was undeserving and scrounging.

(Edited to add - sorry, I didn't realise the thread was so old, I'll add no more to it).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • arlybarly
    arlybarly Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my sincere appologies to you, i had no idea the thread was asked to be closed "weeks ago" last post 7th july, i must have missed that post but i am entitled to give my opinion wherever and whenever i please. if this thread was not to be added too then why is it still in the benefits section of the forum, it is open to anyone who wants to comment, and how might i ask am i winding people up exactly and what has it got to do with you anyway. if i recall you have upset quite a few people on this thread or is that why you want the thread forgotten. probably.

GET A LIFE
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    JDE-DESG wrote: »
    As Fran said earlier, can you guys (Arlybarly and Northernlass, to name a couple) stop going on at each other, this is a thread to discuss income support, not a b**ching session about the government's perceived shortfalls. If you don't agree with it, go on Question Time and moan to John Dimbleby.

Thank you. Rant over.

Its David not John and in fact he is called Jonathan.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Post about my son's benefits deleted after reading silvercharming's post below.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport