We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

1…8485878990…349

Comments

  • Yes we do this, as we are over 60 and have Freedom Passes we get to park & ride for nothing in most towns, but not all.

    Another tip, when visiting say a seaside town (no park and ride available) look at a local map and head towards a street just outside the town centre. Free parking, and no limit on how long you spend there.

    WARNING: We went to the Park and Ride in Nottingham to discover the `ride` part was on a tram. Nice experience but we had to pay £3.50 each so could maybe have parked less than that.

    Hiya :T I live in nottm and I just always park in broadmarsh and the prices aren't to bad.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,240
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hiya :T I live in nottm and I just always park in broadmarsh and the prices aren't to bad.

    Hi there

    Don't know Nottingham at all I am afraid, were visiting as we had our caravan parked up in Teversal.

    Is Broadmarsh a car park?

    Ta
  • Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes we do this, as we are over 60 and have Freedom Passes we get to park & ride for nothing in most towns, but not all.

    Another tip, when visiting say a seaside town (no park and ride available) look at a local map and head towards a street just outside the town centre. Free parking, and no limit on how long you spend there.

    WARNING: We went to the Park and Ride in Nottingham to discover the `ride` part was on a tram. Nice experience but we had to pay £3.50 each so could maybe have parked less than that.

    There are two other park and ride sites in Nottingham you could have used. I guess the one you used was the Forest park and ride, that's the one the trams operate from.
    If you hade gone to the Racecourse or Queens Drive sites, they are buses. I don't know about the freedom pass as I am not old enough to qualify for a pass yet but people with bus passes can use them and travel free on the park and ride from those sites. People who don't have passes pay either £3 for a single person or £3.40 for a car full.
    HTH
  • Dollardog
    Dollardog Posts: 1,774
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there

    Don't know Nottingham at all I am afraid, were visiting as we had our caravan parked up in Teversal.

    Is Broadmarsh a car park?

    Ta

    Broadmarsh. is a shopping centre with a car park attached. The two park and ride sites I mentioned above both have busses that go past the Broadmarsh Centre and Victoria Centre, and through the city centre.
  • Hi there

    Don't know Nottingham at all I am afraid, were visiting as we had our caravan parked up in Teversal.

    Is Broadmarsh a car park?

    Ta

    It's one of the shopping centres but you can also park in the other shopping centre which is Victoria centre :)
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Once in a while I fancy having crusty white rolls instead of normal sandwiches for my lunch. We've had a picnic out today and instead of buying a pack of said rolls it worked out cheaper to buy a baguette and cut it up instead.

    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • I save the very thin ribbons off swing tags when I buy new items, they are very useful for using with home made gift tags to make them look more professional.
    You can also add them to gift-wrapping to enhance the colour co-ordination of a not quite matching ribbon before adding the final bow.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    I save the very thin ribbons off swing tags when I buy new items, they are very useful for using with home made gift tags to make them look more professional.snip

    what a good idea, thanks
    Sandy
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    sandy2 I do the same with the ribbons for putting jumpers on hangers - you know the bits that always irritate you! - they are just the right size to tie round the tops of jam jars.
    Every days a School day!
  • LunaLady
    LunaLady Posts: 1,625 Forumite

    WARNING: We went to the Park and Ride in Nottingham to discover the `ride` part was on a tram. Nice experience but we had to pay £3.50 each so could maybe have parked less than that.

    There is another Park n Ride at Colwick Racecourse which is £3 for up to 6.
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.