We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
Comments
-
When my Dad goes away he makes two days of sandwiches - the second day is cheese. It is okay in a cool bag. One car - he had a mini fridge in the boot of his car.He rents out cottages and his wife always takes a frozen lasagne / cottage pie type meal with them. They will eat out for half the nights away.2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge6 -
Whilst the fuel is cheaper I have been batch cooking. Today, I made four family size meat pies for DH. A beef bourguignon for six, two small rhubarb crumbles, slow cooked bbq pulled beef as well as roasted a dinner for us today. Left over chicken will be a salad for tomorrow and a stir fry for DH on Tuesday whilst I'm out.I also have my fruit in soak, I am making our two Christmas cakes tomorrow afternoon. Normally, I make then in February but wasn't going to have the oven on for four hours when the cost is at its highest.2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge10 -
I always buy multi nets of onions (much cheaper than buying a single onion) I chop them up and freeze in a ziplock bag and use as required. I have 3 peppers in the fridge I didn't use this week I will chop and freeze them tommorrow to save wasting them - they will be dumped in the slow cooker at some point in the future.Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"9
-
1lb, I think @2childmum2. (Honestly I’ve had the tin for so long that I don’t remember its size.)2childmum2 said:Delurking to say the carrot and cashew loaf sounds yummy. Do you use a 1lb or a 2lb tin?
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag4 -
Thank you. I have both, so I'll try it in the smaller tin and if it doesn't fit transfer it to the bigger one!7
-
Great topic! Thanks!
5 -
Just coming back to say I have finally made the carrot and cashew nut roast and it fits into a 1lb loaf tin - just in case anyone else wants to try it.8
-
Thanks for confirming @2childmum2. Hope you liked it.2childmum2 said:Just coming back to say I have finally made the carrot and cashew nut roast and it fits into a 1lb loaf tin - just in case anyone else wants to try it.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag4 -
Yes we really enjoyed it. I thought it might be a bit dry but it was lovely and moist. DD has just said it's her favourite savoury loaf5
-
I am going away for 10 days, would it make sense to use everything up and switch off the fridge and freezer?
Thanks3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

