We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
Comments
-
https://the1940sexperiment.com/2024/05/30/back-to-rationing-week-1-full-meal-plan/
Carolyn has collected lots of wartime leaflets which are available to download. Well worth a look!2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used6 -
Thank you for the referral to the wartime leaflets.5
-
I am another fan of Nella Last. She served a starter, main course and pudding, presented in an attractive way, to give the impression that there was plenty to eat. She saved some leftovers for the next day, to get a head start.
She baked her own bread and cakes, both more frugal and healthier than modern supermarket UPF.
We have followed the WW2 ration quantities for meat, butter and cheese, dividing the packs into portions and freezing them. We have our 50g dark chocolate ration each on Sunday to last the week. Like Nella, we have our four hens in the garden. They are our most productive crop, as we have been getting 2 dozen eggs a week. I shall start freezing some, lightly beaten, in individual, square plastic pots, to see us through winter, when the hens lay fewer eggs.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.549 -
N the days before dishwashers we're in common use one can only ponder at the amount of extra hand washing ll these dishes caused and I wonder whether just one main course would have reduced the workload but her bakery skills helped to give the impression of "plenty". Swings and roundabouts I guess although there,s no doubt good adaptable culinary skills are an essential asset in difficult times.
9 -
Good morning All
We’re heading off on a week’s holiday this afternoon, so I thought I’d quickly share what I’ve been doing. As you know, a basic tenant of living frugally is “Don’t waste”. Over the last few days, I’ve been using up or freezing anything in the fridge that might go off while we’re away. By this morning, all that was left was two carrots and 4 sweet peppers.
The peppers have been diced, tossed in oil and salt and are currently roasting at 200c for 40 minutes. Once done, I’ll deposit them in a freezer container, allow to cool and then freeze for later.
The carrots have been turned into a Carrot & Cashew Nut Roast, with the aid of my food processor. Cut the carrots into chunks and combine in the food processor with an onion (cut in quarters), 200g cashew nuts, 1 egg, a teaspoon of soy sauce and 6 tablespoons of breadcrumbs. Process until smooth(ish), then pack the mixture into a lined loaf tin. (At this point, I’ve stuck it in the freezer.). Bake at 200c for 55 minutes. (If frozen first, then allow to defrost before baking.)
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag9 -
Sounds yum! I'd have chopped them up and eaten as travel snacks.PipneyJane said:Good morning All
We’re heading off on a week’s holiday this afternoon, so I thought I’d quickly share what I’ve been doing. As you know, a basic tenant of living frugally is “Don’t waste”. Over the last few days, I’ve been using up or freezing anything in the fridge that might go off while we’re away. By this morning, all that was left was two carrots and 4 sweet peppers.
The peppers have been diced, tossed in oil and salt and are currently roasting at 200c for 40 minutes. Once done, I’ll deposit them in a freezer container, allow to cool and then freeze for later.
The carrots have been turned into a Carrot & Cashew Nut Roast, with the aid of my food processor. Cut the carrots into chunks and combine in the food processor with an onion (cut in quarters), 200g cashew nuts, 1 egg, a teaspoon of soy sauce and 6 tablespoons of breadcrumbs. Process until smooth(ish), then pack the mixture into a lined loaf tin. (At this point, I’ve stuck it in the freezer.). Bake at 200c for 55 minutes. (If frozen first, then allow to defrost before baking.)
- PipStatement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.phpFor free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.6 -
Delurking to say the carrot and cashew loaf sounds yummy. Do you use a 1lb or a 2lb tin?4
-
@PipneyJane
You are a woman after my own heart.
We leave for a holiday on Friday morning so I will be looking in the fridge and seeing what needs using before we go away. I know I have some peppers and courgettes in there.
We are only heading up to north wales for 5 days but there will be 5 of us (DH, me, DS20, DD14 and Niece 16 as well as 3 dogs) so even now I am thinking about what I can make or take with me and have been meal planning to make things a bit easier - we are in an airbnb so I will have cooking facilities and a cool box for things to take with us to save some money.
I have meal planned but I think I might cut the peppers and an onion up, freeze them and take with us so we have them ready to make fajitas with.
I also have some carrots to chop and freeze as well which may also come with us to use for a roast dinner on the weekend.
I'm also taking tinned tomatoes, herbs/spices and pre measured mixes for pizza dough and crumble topping.
I have some pastry in the fridge too - both puff and shortcrust which I will turn into some snack bits for us to eat on the way or snack on when we are away. If not used then I will freeze it
Time to find me again8 -
I make a large dish of lasagne or butter chicken or shepherds pie and freeze it.
it then acts as an ice block in the cool bag while travelling and provides an easy first night meal on arrival.11 -
My DH and I always take a fruit cake so that we can have our own afternoon tea and cake back in our hotel room after a day out. We normally have breakfast as part of our hotel, if it is not included then we head to a cafe / spoons or have a porridge pot and fruit and then have an evening meal out. I also pack a small box of assorted nuts and seeds for each of us. This means we don't have to buy lunch.I also pack our travel mugs - utilise free drink at Waitrose, with a W card.When we went on the IOW ferry I asked for hot water and a cup of tea. I then poured my own hot choc sachet into the cup. I had to pay £1 for the h/w but it was cheaper than buying a hot choc. On the way back I ordered two hot waters (which we were only charged a £1 for both) and I made my own hot choc and DH made his own tea - tea and milk came from the hotel room.2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge8
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




