PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    I'm new to this thread and have picked up some great ideas!

I wonder if anyone can give me their thoughts on this, I have a combi boiler so have the problem of waiting quite a while for the water to warm up if the heating isn't on. I have previously collected this wasted water when washing up to water the garden with but I've never collected from upstairs. I plan to do this to use to flush the toilet as tipped off here.

Anyway, my question is this, I wash my hair over the bath using a shower attachment (not actually in the shower) and once I've started I tend to leave the water running even when I'm shampooing and conditioning. I do this because even though I'm wasting the water I don't like to keep firing up the boiler as I think that this uses extra and unnecessary gas. What do people think? I've recently discovered a water leak in my toilet so I'm now on a water saving drive but don't want the gas bill to be going up instead!

Thanks in advance :)
    People collect their water either in buckets are large bowls to flush the toilets.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tattycath wrote: »
    Great idea...this is where I come unstuck as I have a terrible obsession with notepads. I think I've probably got about 40+ kicking around, in all different sizes. From A4 pads, exercise book style, to small jotters. :o

Its only a couple of weeks ago that I sat and tore the backs of all this years Christmas cards. The front part goes in the bin (since I've been told not to put glittery stuff in the recycling). I cut up empty cereal boxes as well......all the resultant bits of card are great for shopping lists.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I wonder if anyone can give me their thoughts on this, I have a combi boiler so have the problem of waiting quite a while for the water to warm up if the heating isn't on. I have previously collected this wasted water when washing up to water the garden with but I've never collected from upstairs. I plan to do this to use to flush the toilet as tipped off here.

Anyway, my question is this, I wash my hair over the bath using a shower attachment (not actually in the shower) and once I've started I tend to leave the water running even when I'm shampooing and conditioning. I do this because even though I'm wasting the water I don't like to keep firing up the boiler as I think that this uses extra and unnecessary gas. What do people think? I've recently discovered a water leak in my toilet so I'm now on a water saving drive but don't want the gas bill to be going up instead!

My thinking is that you are using gas when you are not needing to, as in letting the water run hot, when you are not rinsing, wasting both gas and water? A combi boiler kicks on and off anyway in normal use, so can't see much difference in turning the tap on and off. I could well be wrong, so please don't take this as factual.

Hope you manage to get your toilet leak fixed without too much expense.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Uniscots97 wrote: »
    I mentioned this a long time ago but I'm going to repeat it. Time how long it takes to charge an item and keep a note of it. Then when charging it set an alarm (on your phone or kitchen timer) to remind you to switch it off so you don't waste any electricity

What a brilliant idea, and so simple, thank you. I'm very guilty of charging my phone overnight, so will try to adapt my very bad habit.
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I think you'd have better success posting this in the
    The LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels Board, you'll get the experts view then.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    one of the ways to make loo rolls last longer is to keep them warm, as in an airing cupboard for the spares! and slightly flatten so not so easy for people to tear off too much! when i was a tiddler my mum had an oil stove in the bathroom strangely very close to the loo roll!!! health and safety would of had a field day!! but heated loo roll was a real luxury!!
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anne_Marie wrote: »
    What a brilliant idea, and so simple, thank you. I'm very guilty of charging my phone overnight, so will try to adapt my very bad habit.
    Good idea! I keep some chargers in the bedroom, plug in my MP3 and old-style phone in when I start getting ready for bed. By the time I've done all of the 'last jobs' (tidying, locking up, jamis on, washed, cleaned teeth etc) I usually find that they are fully charged. If I forget, the charging light shows when I turn the bedside lamp off! Sad I know, but it works for me :o
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • FunBrum
    FunBrum Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    My heart literally sank as I read the first one and a half sentences! xxx
    :r

:rotfl: even I'm not that frugal!:D
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet :T
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 £19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
  • FunBrum
    FunBrum Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM 4meplse...I also do the with tubes and take the tops of bottles and containers to make sure I get every drop out! You would be surprised what's left behind!;)

I was on YouTube looking for frugal tips a while back, and a women took her own teeth out to save money. Now that's just nuts!!:eek:
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet :T
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 £19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My little tip is only a small thing but has made my day off sick much better.
    Rather than putting the heating on as its got pretty cold, I've shoved jumpers, fleeces and bigger slipper socks on.

Then I nabbed the kitty from the bed he was sleeping on and popped him on my lap. Instant warmth and a happy kitty as he loves a good lap but isn't used to me being home in the day :-)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback