PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• FunBrum
    FunBrum Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    Must admit I always keep a jar or tube of Nivea Soft in my handbag because of it's multiple uses. I wouldn't just use any old moisturiser on my face though, only the Nivea one because it's indicated that you can. xxx

I'm so frugal that I havent bought any toothpaste for five years! Until last March I worked at a dental practice so bought home free samples. I'm only just getting to the end of it!
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet :T
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 £19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    FunBrum wrote: »
    I'm so frugal that I havent bought any toothpaste for five years! Until last March I worked at a dental practice so bought home free samples. I'm only just getting to the end of it!

My heart literally sank as I read the first one and a half sentences! xxx
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Teacher2 wrote: »
    I am so stingy I cut plastic tubes of expensive face, hand or other creams to get the last little bit out. I have made them last an extra week doing this.
    I've always done this with toothpaste, more recently with tubes of moisturiser since I saw the tip on Superscrimpers:

6a00d834f896f453ef0168e7948689970c-800wi

When I did this with a Stila tinted moisturiser (Poundland), it got so messy I had to decant into an old glass make-up pot...well worth it as there was another 3 months in it!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've always done this with toothpaste, more recently with tubes of moisturiser since I saw the tip on Superscrimpers:

6a00d834f896f453ef0168e7948689970c-800wi

When I did this with a Stila tinted moisturiser (Poundland), it got so messy I had to decant into an old glass make-up pot...well worth it as there was another 3 months in it!

Thanks for this. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Take the battery out of your laptop when its being used off the mains.
    Constant charging of the battery wears it out and its only needed when you dont have a power socket nearby.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I mentioned this a long time ago but I'm going to repeat it. Time how long it takes to charge an item and keep a note of it. Then when charging it set an alarm (on your phone or kitchen timer) to remind you to switch it off so you don't waste any electricity
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Bumblies
    Options
    This has probably been mentioned before on this Thread but I keep all incoming mail (including junk mail) that has a clean back ie. not written on. I put the A4 size paper in my printer for personal stuff that I keep, even folded paper is OK especially if you put it to the bottom of the pile to be flattened by the stack. The smaller sizes I tear up to use for shopping lists and other reminder notes. I've been doing this for years and hardly ever need to buy new paper.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bumblies wrote: »
    This has probably been mentioned before on this Thread but I keep all incoming mail (including junk mail) that has a clean back ie. not written on. I put the A4 size paper in my printer for personal stuff that I keep, even folded paper is OK especially if you put it to the bottom of the pile to be flattened by the stack. The smaller sizes I tear up to use for shopping lists and other reminder notes. I've been doing this for years and hardly ever need to buy new paper.

Great idea...this is where I come unstuck as I have a terrible obsession with notepads. I think I've probably got about 40+ kicking around, in all different sizes. From A4 pads, exercise book style, to small jotters. :o
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I'm new to this thread and have picked up some great ideas!

I wonder if anyone can give me their thoughts on this, I have a combi boiler so have the problem of waiting quite a while for the water to warm up if the heating isn't on. I have previously collected this wasted water when washing up to water the garden with but I've never collected from upstairs. I plan to do this to use to flush the toilet as tipped off here.

Anyway, my question is this, I wash my hair over the bath using a shower attachment (not actually in the shower) and once I've started I tend to leave the water running even when I'm shampooing and conditioning. I do this because even though I'm wasting the water I don't like to keep firing up the boiler as I think that this uses extra and unnecessary gas. What do people think? I've recently discovered a water leak in my toilet so I'm now on a water saving drive but don't want the gas bill to be going up instead!

Thanks in advance :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bumblies wrote: »
    I always either use these as make-shift bins if I gave anything soggy to contain, or discard them asap - the reason being they have been over countless floors and dirty surfaces. I won't have these on my carpets or surfaces any sooner than I'd have shoes.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback