PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A day ahead of me doing things with mandarins, which are finally sweet from the tree. I've got 3 large containers for the peel. One for making mandarin vinegar for cleaning around the house, another will be for making a mandarin spray to spritz about the house, and the last will involve alcohol for drinking, a mandarin version of triple sec. Have got other things to do with them another day, but am concentrating on making things with the mandarins themselves today. I will be sick of the sight of them later for sure!

Basic thing is don't throw away your citrus fruit peel, use them for something useful.
  • caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get no end of those exfoliating sponges in gift sets. They always went to the CS. Now I realise they are a mesh of nylon fibres, tied into a rough ball shape, they have an OS use. They are basically the same as the white bit on a sponge scourer, so I have been using them to clean the sink and have just used one and scrubbed mud off football kit with soap before putting into the machine.
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caroc wrote: »
    I get no end of those exfoliating sponges in gift sets. They always went to the CS. Now I realise they are a mesh of nylon fibres, tied into a rough ball shape, they have an OS use. They are basically the same as the white bit on a sponge scourer, so I have been using them to clean the sink and have just used one and scrubbed mud off football kit with soap before putting into the machine.

You can do the same by using a couple of fruit nets that usually contain citrus fruit, just scrunch them together and tie them in a bundle in the middle, they make great dish scrubbing pads! I would not use them on the body though, they might be a bit rough on the skin.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you Aesop and Anne_Marie.

Jackie O, can I ask a daft question? Will any vinegar do for ketchup, or should it be a particular variety?.

I use any vinegar, I normally have white vinegar in the cupboard as I use it instead of conditioner in the washing machine, but I think any flavour would do. I too never bother with the expensive fancy stuff a 45p small bottle does me for ages ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Anne_Marie wrote: »
    the last will involve alcohol for drinking, a mandarin version of triple sec
    Yummy, margaritas on you!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am so stingy I cut plastic tubes of expensive face, hand or other creams to get the last little bit out. I have made them last an extra week doing this.

I also found, to my amusement, that I am not the only person to do this. Many of the commenters on the 'Mortgage Free Wannabe' do it too. Maybe that's how they paid off their mortgages years early!
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Yummy, margaritas on you!

No problem, should be ready in about 3 months. Got the tequila, plenty of lemons, just no posh margarita glasses..you'll have to slum it with a wine glass. :p
  • ancientmum
    Options
    Teacher2 wrote: »
    I am so stingy I cut plastic tubes of expensive face, hand or other creams to get the last little bit out. I have made them last an extra week doing this.

I also found, to my amusement, that I am not the only person to do this. Many of the commenters on the 'Mortgage Free Wannabe' do it too. Maybe that's how they paid off their mortgages years early!

I used to think everybody did this, But I am suprised how many people, when I mention it, think that I am eccentric for doing so. Every penny saved is a penny earned eh?
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Teacher2 wrote: »

I am so frugal I cut plastic tubes of cheap moisturizer in half to get the last little bit out. I am so frugal moisturizer does for everything, face, hands, neck, legs, and feet. :D A good frugal tip whatever you use.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    I am so frugal I cut plastic tubes of cheap moisturizer in half to get the last little bit out. I am so frugal moisturizer does for everything, face, hands, neck, legs, and feet. :D A good frugal tip whatever you use.
    Ilona

Must admit I always keep a jar or tube of Nivea Soft in my handbag because of it's multiple uses. I wouldn't just use any old moisturiser on my face though, only the Nivea one because it's indicated that you can. xxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback