PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Wombatchops
    Options
    Congratulations good advice. That's wonderful news, and I hope everyone is doing well. :j:T
    2016 MFW no. 47 £0/£3,000
    MFiT T4 no 26 Start bal £149,294, Current bal £149,294, Target bal £134,294
    Make £2,016 in 2016 £1180.55
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 December 2014 at 5:14PM
    Options
    Never, ever, ever pay full price for clothes!

I can't remember the last time I paid full price for any article of clothing or pair of shoes. My cheap sources of things are:

Shoes: outlet villages - they usually have a Clarks and several outdoor shops for trainers.

Clothes: outlet villages and charity shops.
    Recent bargains include a £20 Ness top for £5 (tiny black mark which is hardly noticeable as it's a black and white striped top), a white karrimor fleece for £3, £32 fat face men's T-shirts for £8 and £40 fat face ladies' trousers reduced to £16 (last year they were reduced to £8!)

Gym clothes: ebay

Jeans: American Eagle Outfitters
    (American store online but at certain times of the year they do BOGOF and $15 shipping if you spend over $100. Last time I got a pair of men's jeans for £12 and for 4 pairs of jeans, a pair of gym trousers and 2 t-shirts for around £110. I have noticed that the denim was thinner on the last few batches though, they're obviously cutting costs by using cheaper denim now sadly. They used to be GAP quality.)
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I have been saving the pennies today by spending everyone eles's pennies.

I have been shopping with my adult son - the new daddy.
    Buying some gifts for mum and baby.
    Last minute shopping for other people. Did not stay at the shops long. Too crowded.

Had the washing out on the line at 9am this morning. Then aired it in the dryer. Too much washing to just leave around the house.

Keeping a strong eye on the gas and electric. All is well. We do not want any nasty surprises.....
    It shocks me how many people are just letting their fuel tariffs run till the end of contract.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Don't know if this has been shared but I have in my car an air freshener thing hanging from the rear view mirror in a design that I love...when the smell runs out I drop a few drops of essential oil onto it (currently lime) I don't need to buy a new freshener and my car smells lovely...I've had the same one for over a year :o its still good...I also use those small impulse cans I got in a xmas hamper as freshener to...but a spray bottle with a water and essential oil mix also works well :)
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Quick reminder from me, something i posted years ago. I've long since stopped using fresh water filters in my jug but i do still use the jug, i keep it on the worktop, filled with cold water, its room temperature for boiling the kettle then instead of really cold out of the tap, all helps save the leccy! Oh, and an old milk bottle serves the same purpose :) x
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • emiai
    emiai Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorted out some old socks, vests and small school T-shirts and have popped them into a bag ready to use when cleaning the bathroom and the toilet. They can go straight into the bin then.

Saves me buying blue cloths. ^^
    Wishing you all good luck!
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
  • zebedy
    zebedy Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    Old socks make great dusters. Just slip the over your hands like mittens and dust away the chuck them in the wash ready for the next cleaning session
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zebedy wrote: »
    Old socks make great dusters. Just slip the over your hands like mittens and dust away the chuck them in the wash ready for the next cleaning session
    They also make good jewellery bags to take on holiday.
    I find that jewellery-cases add to the luggage weight too much and don't hold many necklaces, so old socks are a great way to protect your stuff!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    They also make good jewellery bags to take on holiday.
    I find that jewellery-cases add to the luggage weight too much and don't hold many necklaces, so old socks are a great way to protect your stuff!
    Good idea, also means that jewellery is hidden from view to any one having a quick sift through your case!
    Different subject entirely: I always add a few squirts of moisturiser to my foundation as soon as the level starts to fall. Makes it easier to apply and lasts longer without affecting the coverage.;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    A woman in our walking group keeps her flask in an old walking sock-keeps her coffee just a bit warmer and stops odd drips marking the inside of her rucksack
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback