PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    great ideas lately. I have used an old glove from one of my children to keep my mobile in. Everything time I took the phone out, I thought of them both.

I use a teacosy (HM gift from a friend :)) to keep my flask of hot water hotter for longer - unless of course it is already keeping my teapot warm!
  • superrhinos
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    They also make good jewellery bags to take on holiday.
    I find that jewellery-cases add to the luggage weight too much and don't hold many necklaces, so old socks are a great way to protect your stuff!

My sister uses one to keep her mobile in instead of buying a fancy case.
    GC: Feb (16th Jan - 15th Feb) £46.25 / £50 :)
    Mar (16th Feb - 15th Mar) £61.96 / £70
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My sister uses one to keep her mobile in instead of buying a fancy case.

Yes, i do that as well, but with a new sock that i got from a long distance flight overnight bag (the ones you use as "bed socks") so its bright red and a chunky wool, sort a looks quite cool, lol!
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • angelaloveschocolate
    Options
    Check out these household hacks, something for everyone here. I especially like using a water bottle to create a tight seal, no 33. Have a look and see what you think :)

http://diyhshp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/tips-tips-and-more-tips.html
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some great tips there, thanks for posting.
    Normal people worry me.
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Check out these household hacks, something for everyone here. I especially like using a water bottle to create a tight seal, no 33. Have a look and see what you think :)

http://diyhshp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/tips-tips-and-more-tips.html

No.49 - I never knew!!
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • gemnomnom
    gemnomnom Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I'm sure none of this is groundbreaking but here's my contribution anyway:

My top tip is batch cooking dried brown lentils and freezing them. Then whenever I cook mince, I mix in a portion of lentils. Cheap, healthy and efficient!

Unless something is very dirty/greasy, I would just wipe it down rather than use lots of expensive cleaning chemicals.

For my guinea pigs we use fleece bedding which can be washed indefinitely, rather than hay or other disposable bedding, which I imagine would quickly get expensive.

We shop at Lidl and are lucky enough to be able to walk there and back. That truly does limit us to only buying the essentials on a weekly shop! In fact we've done without a car for two months now and that's saved £££ rather than pennies lol.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've started saving OHs wee to chuck on the compost heap. Mmmmm free Nitrogen :beer:
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Bublin1 wrote: »
    No.49 - I never knew!!

What a fab site! I think it is so helpful to have pictures for many of them as it saves a lengthy explanation. And the tips stick in your head. I love so many of them; favourite so far, having a 'Fix it' box for broken kids' toys. I think I will nick that one and also make it into a 'fix anything' box for those days when you go to put on your socks, find a hole, chuck it back in the drawer, try to wear it again next week and so on!

P.S. the holey sock thing doesn't happen in my house since I Kondoed everyone's underwear drawers months ago and they are still tidy! But it will be useful for other things.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We're always being encouraged to take our own shopping bags when we go to the supermarket, I also take four or five smaller plastic or paper bags for putting fruit and veg in rather than tearing the supplied ones off the roll. I get at least 20 uses out of each bag, hopefully saving a drop of oil or a twig. Every little helps :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback