PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sparrer wrote: »
    We're always being encouraged to take our own shopping bags when we go to the supermarket, I also take four or five smaller plastic or paper bags for putting fruit and veg in rather than tearing the supplied ones off the roll. I get at least 20 uses out of each bag, hopefully saving a drop of oil or a twig. Every little helps :)

Here in N.Ireland we have to take our own bags shopping with us, or pay between 5-20p for a plastic bag, depending where you are. We even have to pay 5p for a paper bag from Primark and other shops like that:eek::mad:

So if we are getting free plastic bags anywhere (from the chippie or something like that) we save them lol.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We also pay in Wales, when visiting my daughter a few weeks ago I brought some of her surplus home, I really miss not having them on occasions.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I am used to refusing bags in England, so now I'm in Wales there's no difference to me anyway. Its not very often here where I find myself having to stand there repeating "No bag thank you" to a shop assistant determined to give me one regardless. Makes for a bit less hassle when shopping these days.

I always carry a folding shopping bag in my handbag and just put stuff straight into it.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am used to refusing bags in England, so now I'm in Wales there's no difference to me anyway. Its not very often here where I find myself having to stand there repeating "No bag thank you" to a shop assistant determined to give me one regardless. Makes for a bit less hassle when shopping these days.

I always carry a folding shopping bag in my handbag and just put stuff straight into it.

Same here plus when I go through self serve check outs I make sure to add my green club card points. Do it often enough and over time that will add up to another voucher.

if I do get a carrier bag I do keep them and use them. They never get thrown away without being used some time before.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
    Options
    Green Clubcard points - hmmm....

Wonder if that applies in Wales too?

Not that I'm short on Clubcard points - getting extra ones is part of being on the E-on tariff I'm on and since moving here I've had to swop to T*sco :( - as in not my supermarket of choice:(

So, I've got a positive embarrassment of riches re just how many Clubcard points I've got and I shall be discussing whether I can swop them for anything I actually want to have with the assistants next time I'm in there....as I just don't really want them.

Must swop to that other thing of freebie vouchers E-on dish out instead. I simply hadn't realised just how many T*sco points I'd end up accumulating...

I just thought "There'll be nowhere much round here I can actually spend the vouchers I could have instead" and forgot about the fact I'd be having a Trip Home at intervals and could spend them there.
  • Frugalsod
    Options
    Not sure if Mr T does green clubcard points in wales but I cannot see why not. Though I usually only get a few items in my local T at a time, and so I might have get half my points from green clubcard points.

Also while getting clubcard points from EON is good they are not always the cheapest. They were more than £100 more expensive than my current deal and on top of that I was able to get other discounts and cash backs as well. If Eon ever became a supplier for me then I would opt for clubcard points but they would be a bonus not a reason to switch.

Also I am converting all my clubcard points to get avios for flights and upgrades.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2015 at 3:09PM
    Options
    I have checked out a couple of times and they seem to be pretty much the cheapest fuel supplier for me. I added in the fact that they are a German firm (ie rather than British) and thought "Maybe I'll get less hassle from dealing with inefficiency then....". Inefficiency being something that drives me nuts and I know I have a distinct tendency to put off re-doing anything unnecessarily because some ******* else has mucked-up. I just want to do things the necessary once and not have to chase/chase/chase to get things sorted..

On balance, I've had 2 bits of inefficiency from E-on (both thankfully put right quickly) and am guessing I would have had more inefficiency over that same time period from a British firm.

I seem to recall that it was pretty much the case that to get a cheaper deal I would have had to use a supplier who is tied up with nuclear energy?? and hence wouldn't use.

I don't fly...so no conversion possible there for me. I'm thinking more in terms of whether I can trade whatever-it-is in for meals during visits to Home Area (there aren't many restaurants around here to do so in....). I had a quick google and found quite a few restaurants I might be able to trade in my points at during Home Visits and the plan is to work towards 2 or 3 lengthy ones a year permanently (catching up on loadsa facilities/buying my clothes/etc).
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Oh my goodness, I visited London a couple of weeks ago and EVERY shop assistant was determined to give me a bag even though I politely declined one in every shop!

I'm used to carrying my own since we had the carrier bag charge introduced in Scotland where I now live but shops in my native England-shire seem almost affronted by you refusing them! I was flat out told that I had to take a bag in Primark for security reasons - surely my receipt would have been enough? :mad:
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Frugalsod
    Options
    It all does depend on your usage. My energy usage is very typical for a household of its size but then I am home a lot more than most so my usage per hour works out as a lot less than most. As for a german firm being more efficient I have not noticed that as if they were they would be more cheaper at all price points and that does not appear to be the case.
  • caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My current weight loss effort requires the use of herbal tea. I whip the teabag out after 5 mins, next cup I use the same bag, or just top up the cup near the end. Fruity type tea bags can even last for 3 cups, the fruitiness goes first, then it tastes more tea-ey. Camomile does 2 cups a bag.
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback