PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Datchet
    Datchet Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here are some of my Sneaky ways! Many may be old hat- but worth restating
    1. 2x2 minute shower 1st min is wash hair & face. Then turn water off. Wash entire body with flannel then water on again to rinse. Actually 8 manage 45 seconds plus 30! ( less hair these days...)
    2. Liquid soap is 30p refill bubble bath, not £1.50 a go bottles.
    3. Always carry a metal camping water bottle in the car- NEVER buy single use plastic
    4. Packed lunches, not bought. Using homegrown spuds. Oh and mega soups frozen into individual pots.
    5. Tesco twin blade replaceable razors - one head last a week! They are about 1/6th prize of branded
    That's all for now!
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One I have used today. Make your own party bags with wrapping paper. Cut two pieces then stick together. Saves a few pounds for birthdays.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Wombatchops
    Options
    This thread has been so helpful to me, and I don't want it to fade away. So, here's a sneaky tip from me (although I highly doubt it's in any way original).

I often use roll-on anti-perspirant, and chuck them when they run dry. The one I've got at the moment is in a clear bottle, so I can actually see how much is left. Usually, the bottle is coloured.

Well, the roller ran dry about 4 weeks ago, but I could see that there was still liquid in it. So I decided to turn it upside down, cos the liquid is thick so obviously takes a long time to reach the roller ball. The bottle lid is rounded, so I just rest it against the shelf wall.

Anyway, I thought this would get me another week's use, but 4weeks later, it's still going strong. Normally, I'd have thought it had run dry long ago by this stage and binned it.

I hope that helps someone, or at the very least revives the thread.
    2016 MFW no. 47 £0/£3,000
    MFiT T4 no 26 Start bal £149,294, Current bal £149,294, Target bal £134,294
    Make £2,016 in 2016 £1180.55
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That is a great tip Wombat chops. I use roll on to. I share one with my husband. We get through 2 a month which is better than 4 if we were both using our own.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 December 2014 at 10:03PM
    Options
    Shop in Primark if you can for bits and bobs. Amazing.

Just got an amazing faux sheepskin lined fleece zip up for a fiver reduced. So warm and snug.

A lovely pink and black shift dress too, for 15. It is gorgeous, and suits my shape perfectly, ie it hides all the lumps and bumps! Nice material in it too. I will hide that in the wardrobe till next year. Primark stuff is only in the shop for a few weeks, yay, who will know! A wedding coming up, it will be perfect, and believe me, it will get me through it. The colours are lovely, the shape is great, and as long as I'm comfortable,who cares!

I could go on.
  • dianasnan
    Options
    Well, the roller ran dry about 4 weeks ago, but I could see that there was still liquid in it. So I decided to turn it upside down, cos the liquid is thick so obviously takes a long time to reach the roller ball. The bottle lid is rounded, so I just rest it against the shelf wall.

A

I do this with all liquid products such as fabric conditioner, washing liquid, shampoo, washing up liquid. just stick it in a small cup to keep it upright or let it drain directly into the washing machine dispenser.

I was re-reading the frugal zealot- Amy Dacyzyn and she said that some housekeepers do all their laundry with the dregs that drain to the bottom of the washing liquid bottles but are discarded as being 'empty' by the householder.
    Don't forget that anything in a pump lasts much longer- my shampoo and washing up liquid last at least 6 times as long. keep any decent old pump bottles for re-use.
    And a basic cheap set of funnels are invaluable for decanting liquids.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    And sometimes the liquid at the bottom of these containers goes a little thick and sticky so won't run down easily so a good shake or resting the container on a warm radiator helps. BUT DON'T TRY THIS WITH AEROSOL CONTAINERS :eek:
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Glad to see this thread again!

My latest saving the pennies...
    I buy a lot of my clothes in a local outlet store of M&S. i look at the clearence area at the back when i am in town and can sometimes be lucky to find something I like in my size.
    I use a voucher coupon from completing surveys - so get whatever free or sometimes I have a gift voucher from my b/day or Christmas. Family all know I shop there.
    My last buys were summer PJ's £8. x2 bra set £5 and pack of 5 pants £3.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • Wombatchops
    Options
    Saved the pennies today by going to my hairdresser in my birthday month (I'd deliberately put it off until December) and getting their 10% birthday discount.
    2016 MFW no. 47 £0/£3,000
    MFiT T4 no 26 Start bal £149,294, Current bal £149,294, Target bal £134,294
    Make £2,016 in 2016 £1180.55
  • good_advice
    Options
    I save pennies by home cooking - mince pies, Christmas cake, biscuits and dinners for all the family.
    I like to share and often send my cakes etc to extended family.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback