Those acursed moles...

...may look cute but they're making a real mess of the lawn at the mo!

Have used mole smokes in the past (didn't enjoy using them but they worked... but you can't get them these days). Have tried mole traps without success...

In all honesty I'd rather just have them pack ther bags and move on than kill them... anyone out there got any "old style" suggestions pls?

Replies

• AussieLassAussieLass Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Bertie, we don't get moles over here. How much mess do they do to your lawn? Do they damage it? Do you have a family of them or is it just one?

I have no idea what I"m suggesting but can you catch them and offload them somewhere else. :confused::D
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Coveredinbees!!!!Coveredinbees!!!! Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Get aussielass to send over a few snakes, that should sort them out.
    I need a new signature.
  • this site says they don't like noise.

we used to have a lot of moles where I grew up. I seem to remember people putting milk bottles in the ground with the tops poking out for the wind to whistle through.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • AussieLassAussieLass Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Get aussielass to send over a few snakes, that should sort them out.

:rotfl: Good idea.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• We have the same problem in France with the little bu***rs.

I have no idea what they are called but our neighbour suggested a plant (weve never heard it with its official title, its always known as a anti-taupe - anti mole) that gives off a smell from the roots. If you plant them all the way round your lawn about a foot apart then they dont come near it. They really do work (just dont run over them with the lawn mower.) The plants seed like mad so you dont have to worry about buying loads. The problem comes if 1 dies. I swear the little sods sit there waiting for it to die and then dive through the gap. If you then plant a new on in its place they get stuck in the middle and 1 central part of your lawn turns into the Somme.

Apart from that we have found that there are some funky bombs which you set in a freshly dug mound, thus blocking it up. They are on a trip wire/ motion sensor and because youve covered up their "breathing" hole they come to re-excavate it and boooooooom. bye bye little moley!

Ive heard of the bottles in the ground. We tried it to limited sucess. Had great fun drinking the wine to get enough bottles.

We have also tried the solar powered mole scarers. (Can you tell we dont like the little blighters!) These are quite good too. Your sitting in the middle of the orchard and you here a buzzz every 30 seconds! They work pretty well but you may need a fair few to keep them away (and they are expensive)

Mole traps have limited sucess. I dont like setting them though for fear of appendage removal. And you have to dig half the garden up to set them.

If anyone else has any more suggestions on how to get rid of them, we are more than willing to try anything too!
  • z1000000z1000000 Forumite
    129 Posts
    I sympathise, as I have a mole problem, my back lawn looks like the Somme.
    I’ve tried most legal things, I’ve even flooded the lawn to try and drown the swine.
    I emailed a professional mole catcher, but never got a reply. My father is a retired game keeper and has sorted out plenty of vermin in his time, but he can’t terminate our super moley. There are plenty of folk law ways of discouraging them, strong smells and noise, but the best real way would be to kill the thing humanly. Sadly, moles are smart, it’s hard to trap them. I’m told to put up with it as they only live for about five years!!
  • z1000000z1000000 Forumite
    129 Posts
    A less than enviromentalally friendly way to deal with moles, if you have the space, (I don't), is to sit quietly in your garden with a shot gun. If and when they pop up, or you see them pushing up a mole hill, goodbye mole!
    Also they don't like strong smells, either cheap perfume, or Jeyes fluid, watered around the garden may put them off, until the smell weakens.
  • z1000000 wrote:
    A less than enviromentalally friendly way to deal with moles, if you have the space, (I don't), is to sit quietly in your garden with a shot gun.

My Father didnt quite go to the extreemes of a gun but he did sit there with a spade one day and hit the emerging mount several times in shear frustration. It did work!
  • scuzzscuzz Forumite
    2K Posts
    Someone I knew used to get moles. They used to put a bottle down the mount and the sound of the wind echoing through the bottle and their tunnels is meant to scare them off

Be very careful when disturbing the mount though, as there could be babies in it
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Just as the title says - our garden keeps being turned over by moles!!! I've bought a sonic mole deterrer - one of those thingees that is planted into the ground and sets off vibrations every 25 seconds - but we still seem to get the odd molehill here and there. Can anyone suggest anything else we can try?!?

Our garden is about 130 ft long and 15 ft wide and I've placed the sonic thingee right in the centre of the garden so it should def. reach to all corners of the garden, and it's definitly working every 25 seconds like it's supposed to?!?
    threadbanner.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides