New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Snail Farm anyone??

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
55 replies 16K views
singlehouseholdersinglehouseholder Forumite
1.1K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
The ultimate in oldschool moneysaving, get snails from your garden clean them out, well get them to clean the poo out of their system and eat them, as per the delectable Gordon Ramsey on last nights F word. Has anyone got any hints/tips on how to attract snails, where to keep them, what to feed them?? Anyone "kept" them before? I want to be a "snail-keeper."
Ooo, I love snails me, best of all they're free!!!!!!!

threadbanner.gif
RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.

Replies

• tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw that too but nothing on earth would entice me to eat snails .. its the next thing to eating slugs and I don't even want to think about that :eek:

His kids sure seemed to enjoy they obviously have been brought up to try anything... unlike me....:rotfl:
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • dumpydumpy Forumite
    520 posts
    Really couldn't imagine anything worse..... shudder.....
  • wigginsmumwigginsmum Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think it's worth the effort; they taste like wellyboots in garlic.

In my garden they like delphiniums, strawberries, herbs and beans.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't inagine eating them, but after it has been raining they are always travelling accross my path.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • liz.._4liz.._4 Forumite
    300 posts
    ✭✭
    could sell them to the nearest French restaurant on a regular basis. Double whammy, offer to clean up people's gardens for a small fee, clean out snails and then flog to eatery!

I think you just starve the blighters for a few days to clean them out. Remember to put a lid on the container or they will all crawl away. I had a French grandma and this happened to her when she first got married.
    :)
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think Gordon said to starve them for 3-5 days, just washing with clean water. Then feed a carrot, till you see its poo turn orange (honest, thats what he said!), then clean sealed jar for 24 hrs, then 24hrs in fridge to send them to sleep before you boil them alive.

Rather you than me.....watching was more than enough for me! ;)
  • tim_ntim_n Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Beer. They love it. Just stick a few trays down and check regularly. You'll get plenty of slugs too - just feed them to the birds!
    Tim
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw GR last night. Now I have eaten many things, including goat, guinea pig, kangaroo, crocodile & frogs legs but I cannot induce myself to swallow snails. Garden or gourmet variety:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p Yuck.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • point3point3 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    I once met a French restaurateur who set up an escargot farm in Ecuador and then had the things shipped back to France. The blighters enjoy the cool, humid mountain air there apparently. They are grown in huge black polytunnels with misting humidifiers. I wonder if you could recreate the effect with a dustbin liner? :p
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    liz.. wrote:
    could sell them to the nearest French restaurant on a regular basis. Double whammy, offer to clean up people's gardens for a small fee, clean out snails and then flog to eatery!

I think you just starve the blighters for a few days to clean them out. Remember to put a lid on the container or they will all crawl away. I had a French grandma and this happened to her when she first got married.

:rotfl: Visions of your Grandma crawling out the jar when her new hubbie wasn't looking......
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.