PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Snail Farm anyone??

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Has anyone got any hints/tips on how to attract snails, where to keep them, what to feed them?? Anyone "kept" them before? I want to be a "snail-keeper."
    Ooo, I love snails me, best of all they're free!!!!!!!

Hi, SHH! I need to do nothing to attract the blighters, they're completely attracted to me and my garden :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

Come round here, and you can have as many as you like!

Loads of garlic butter, and french bread with them, but though I've eaten plenty in France, couldn't eat those from my garden.

Luckily, my chooks fight over them, and they don't need garlic :rotfl:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    I thought they had to be a 'special' kind! I had them as a child and loved them - but it might just be that I loved the garlic butter and champagne they were drowned in :D
    I did try eating a mussel at a beach once - yuck, was sick for days. Haven't been able to eat them since!
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I normally love the 'f' word, but last nights wasnt one of the best, veal, snails and then his poor piggies!!!!! i know his children said they liked the snails, but the little blond one didnt look to sure when she was eating it, maybe clever editing!!!!!
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Options
    Please note it is a different variety of snails you eat to the common or garden snails that you can find anywhere.
  • singlehouseholder
    Options
    Thanks y'all. The big fella Gordon just got his out of his garden, starved ,cleaned em then cooked 'em. I was dubious abut eating them at first, but shut my eyes popped one in and enjoyed the taste without thinking about what they were. I dont do feathers , hair or fur, butr if its got scales, or a shell, i'm in there. To me, the texture is quite meaty, haven't eaten meat for about 16 years so that could be way off the mark. They are juicy and sweet,I 'd rather eat a snail that one of those big green lip mussel things!! I'm going to go on a mission, I shall be snail woman!! Thanks everyone!
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Pooky wrote:
    :rotfl: Visions of your Grandma crawling out the jar when her new hubbie wasn't looking......
    Nice one Pooky, I had a laff over that one!
    :)
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Please note it is a different variety of snails you eat to the common or garden snails that you can find anywhere.

Not according to Gordon, he collected normal garden snails from his garden, cleaned them (took a few days and involved feeding them carrots!!!) and then cooked them!!!!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep you can eat the ones out of the garden although the ones normally eaten are Roman Snails I think? If they don't stop eating the contents of my garden then snails are all I will have to eat. I did have huge football sized cabbages until the snails got savaged them in one night, I was just on the verge of harvesting them too :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh I find about 50 snails every day at the field where we keep our neddies. I hate them with a passion and have to get someone to remove them before I can get on with my jobs.

They seem to like hiding down behind our feed bins but the place to find them is on the empty plastic feed sacks that are stuffed down behind the feed/water/rug barrels.

If you want to encourage them then scrunch up some thick plastic, add a few buckets here and there, scatter a handful of animal feed around, squirt some water on it and leave it.

Or come and see us and I can give you a few dozen a day.... s long as I don't have to touch them.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    I watched it and I had always assumed the sanils you ate were a different type to those creeping around the garden. I had snails once when I was in France on an exchange trip and didn't want ot look like a stereotypical Brit not trying anything - they were covered in garlic butter and I just swallowed quickly! if there the same type why are they a delicacy? Couldn't pick them up and handle them alive though -eurghh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure