How best to spend £13.93 to live for a week?

Comments

• merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    oh and Tesco curry sauce is now 19p shocking!
  • lentil soup - so nutritious and filling and cheap
    lentils, a couple of onions, a couple of carrots, a potato and 2 stock cubes - 2 or 3 meals for probably around £1.50
  • Okay, I think, just maybe, that I got off on the wrong foot!!
  • Okay, I think, just maybe, that I got off on the wrong foot!!

I think you did but I am sure it will soon be forgotten.
    What exactly is your situation then?
    Perhaps you could start a thread about that..........
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Can I just remind everyone of the forum rules: Please be nice to ALL moneysavers.

LYS - welcome, but as you will soon find out on these forums everyone gets into a pickle at some point, and when they so they need our help not our criticism :D that means that they dont get further into debt trying to get out of it!

c-m well done on the new job :T nice to see you budgeting with what you have. One of the staples I always keep in my cupboard is tinned sardines, you can pick them up for about 25p a tin, those a squirt of ketchup and a slice of bread makes a really filling meal. I too would suggest going over to the old style board too though, they have a recipe thread on there for just about everything under the sun and can definitely help you make a weeks meals out of the food you already have.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • MellyB_2
    MellyB_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    merlin68 wrote: »
    oh and Tesco curry sauce is now 19p shocking!

The price of this seems to go up and down on a weekly basis?! I think in the past year it has changed from 6p to 45p!

I'm not sure about everybody else but our Tesco is terrible for any reductions - I think Asda is your best bet for getting reduced food that you can freeze and use over the week..

Good luck with your challenge! :D
  • Hi, All good supermarkets do packs of ready prepared stir fry veg for about a pound and you could have this with the soy sauce and rice - and you get a good portion of veggies in you too! It would probably last for 2 meals too. Best time to go is at the end of the day when you can get reduced price. Also, look at seasonal produce (mainly fruit & veg) as you can get good deals on these.

In terms of meat, You can normally get good but cheap ham/bacon/mince which could spruce up a bland meal. Also, I know this is cheeky but have you thought about perhaps asking a friend or famly member if you could pop round (and have tea?) You can always re-pay the favour afte payday? Best of luck with your budget!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    it used to be 4p for ages. when has it changed?

apparently it is 26p now!
    don't buy it myself!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• eleanor73
    eleanor73 Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    MellyB wrote: »

I'm not sure about everybody else but our Tesco is terrible for any reductions - I think Asda is your best bet for getting reduced food that you can freeze and use over the week..

/QUOTE]

Tesco's near me - rubbish. Tescos in town and in the petrol station - absolutely brilliant. Same as Co-op near me - awful. One in town really good. Sometimes they have their off days but often pick up a great bargain and freeze it. I reckon my food bills would triple without my freezer!

I want to know what you got for your £13!!
    Since starting again after beanie: June 2016: Child development DVDs, Massive Attack tickets. July: Aberystwyth trip, hotmilk nightie. Aug: £10 Hipp Organic vouchers, powerpack. September: Sunglasses. October: £30 poundland vouchers.
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 April 2010 at 6:20PM
    Ok so this is what i have bought:

£1.99 Nougat Pillow cereal
    £2 lean mince 500g
    £0.66 Two tins of chopped tomatoes
    £0.50 oxo beef cubes
    £0.89 milk (both tesco and lidl were out of smaller sizes)
    £1 onions (the lidl ones were black and mouldy)
    £1 peppers
    £2.89 Slami stonebaked pizza x3
    £0.5 fusilli pasta
    £0.75 Madras sauce

Total £12.18

I still need to get some tofu, that'll cost £1.35ish, and some very cheap pasta sauce or chopped tomatoes

From this i will be able to make:

3/4 x Chilli
    3 x Pizza
    3 x curry tofu
    2 x pasta

Thats at least 11 main meals. Plus i still have 2 packs of super noodles.

Today I had/will have:

Breakfast - nougat pillows
    Lunch - pizza
    Dinner - chilli

Everything on there is stuff i would happily eat if i had more money to spend, so i don't feel i've done too badly at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure