Slimming World - Extra Easy weight loss!!

Options

Comments

• blackberry-rum
    blackberry-rum Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    I've never tasted quark as I can't seem to find it. I bought cottage cheese but i don't have big hopes for it! Did you try flavouring quark?

I echo your hoummous recipe, but would add a squish of lemon juice and some chilli flakes :j I really think the yog gives it a really nice creamy texture, and it freezes brilliantly :D

tee hee I did mention chilli but you are right I forgot to say a squeeze of lemon. The sesame oil though is VITAL to get a proper hummus taste. Quark? Even the word is horrible. Since I like yoghurt there's no point in faffing with flavouring Quark to my mind.

Aren't we having some interesting conversations on here tonight? I confess I find it quite refreshing to have proper questioning and discussions - I've given up asking pointed questions at class because I feel that it might undermine the leader, but it's good to thrash it out on here :j
    :jThat's 2 stone 9 lbs gone forever:j

thank you Slimming World!
  • consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never tasted quark as I can't seem to find it. I bought cottage cheese but i don't have big hopes for it! Did you try flavouring quark?

You can usually find quark by the soft cheeses/cottage cheese in Morrisons and Asda (round tubs) and Tesco (oblong tub). It is more solid and has no lumps so lends itself to all sorts of flavouring (mixes easily).

If you add sweetener it can be used on fruit and if you add garlic or horseradish or mint (or whatever really) you can use it for dips etc. I have actually come to like quark a lot and find it very versatile :)
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    edited 13 May 2010 at 8:53PM
    Options
    just to list my menu today

B - 1 tesco wholemeal roll ( HEB ) quark spread as butter on one side 1 rasher bacon 2 cherry toms and 1 satsuma
    L - rice tuna kidney beans mixed salad cheedar ( HEA ) and yoghurt dressing - 3 syns as has a little FF mayo in
    D - HM veg curry and rice - didnt have anything with it as it was mostly made with superfree veg - editted to add just went to check syns in pataks balti paste - found 3 for 1 tbsp which was about what i used but was for about 4 portions so adding an extra syn in for today

snack - 1 satsuma
    1 vodka - had 50ml and synned as 5.5 as 35ml is 4 ? and diet red bull

may have an alpen light later may have fruit may have nothing not sure yet - total syns 9 1/2 i think

really great constructive discussion going on here - makes enjoyable reading seeing everyones PoV's made politely - sorry if that sounds a bit blah but often so many threads descend into choas when theres a difference of opinion :)
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 May 2010 at 9:08PM
    Options
    tee hee I did mention chilli but you are right I forgot to say a squeeze of lemon. The sesame oil though is VITAL to get a proper hummus taste. Quark? Even the word is horrible. Since I like yoghurt there's no point in faffing with flavouring Quark to my mind.

Aren't we having some interesting conversations on here tonight? I confess I find it quite refreshing to have proper questioning and discussions - I've given up asking pointed questions at class because I feel that it might undermine the leader, but it's good to thrash it out on here :j

Ahhh! Sorry missed the chilli! I do like spicy food :D I used to use olive oil so next time i make it ill try sesame thingy oil :) Yes it is interesting discussion indeed :)

Consultant - thanks, I will certainly try it :) I wouldn't use it for sweet stuff (don't want to use sweetener), and i quite like LF natural yog anyway.

Can anyone confirm if 0.1% nat yog is fat free? Sorry, unsure of that fact and it's quite important as it's the only yog I will be eating ! If it helps this is nutritional info - per100 - fat 48cal, protein 5, carb 6,fat 0.1,fibre 0. Thanks again in advance!

Also, how do we work out syn values for something that is "free". So if i wanted to have roasted chickpeas as a snack , i've no idea how many syns they would need. I don't think there's nutritional info on the dry peas pack... :)

Sorry, i feel like a royal PITA:o:p:rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• c_l_a_i_r_e
    c_l_a_i_r_e Posts: 4,647 Forumite
    Options
    Zippy the 0.1% yoghurt is free on all plans according to the online calculator.

No idea about the chickpeas but 28g dried chickpeas are 4.5syns on a red day if that helps.

And re quark, until recently the only place I could ever find it was sainsburys (Forestside usually have it if thats any use to you). I noticed yesterday my local Tesco now stock it so I am now the proud owner of 2 tubs though not too sure what I'll do with them. I'm thinking of making a dessert with it at the weekend maybe.

I made a lovely curry tonight from the Curry Feast book- it was Magalorean tomato and beef curry except I made it with pork instead as they needed using up. OH ordered the book last week for some ideas, and I was little disappointed when it arrived at the lack of piccies for every recipe but as long as they all taste as good as the one tonight I'll get over it. I made a few tweaks to the recipe and it turned out yummy - and hot! Looking forward to trying the rest of them out now.

Since we were having curry it was an EE day here:

B: Organic FF yoghurt, Fibre Plus Bar (HEB)
    L: Scrambled egg, ham, tomatoes, apple
    S: Coffee, oatibix bar (3.5), apple
    D: Magalorean pork curry & rice (added in mushrooms & chopped asparagus for some extra superfree) - 5 syns (this was because of 4 tbsp of full fat coconut milk - will buy reduced fat next time to lessen syns).
    :starmod:C'est la vie:starmod:
  • zippychick
    Options
    Zippy the 0.1% yoghurt is free on all plans according to the online calculator.

No idea about the chickpeas but 28g dried chickpeas are 4.5syns on a red day if that helps.

And re quark, until recently the only place I could ever find it was sainsburys (Forestside usually have it if thats any use to you). I noticed yesterday my local Tesco now stock it so I am now the proud owner of 2 tubs though not too sure what I'll do with them. I'm thinking of making a dessert with it at the weekend maybe.

Thank you for clarifying that. you're a star! :j

Flip me, that's a lot of syns:eek: I wonder if Consultant can clarify if the syns are worked out in the same manner if using "free" green foods as a snack on a green day? :o

I hadn't realised you were in NI:eek:! I'm a bus away from Forestside really :) I think it takes on the flavour of what ever you put in whether savoury or sweet :D

• c_l_a_i_r_e
    c_l_a_i_r_e Posts: 4,647 Forumite
    Options
    zippy i'd be interested to hear how you get on with making up your own spray oil. I've never really minded it but the spray nozzle on my frylite bottle has been playing up, and last night when I sprayed it the liquid came out in a big white puddle on the pan which really made me gag. Its put me off using it but i'm not sure of what to use as an alternative? And yip I'm a local:D, not from Belfast though but I'm in down there quite a bit and thats where my class is. Not sure if you like chinese curry sauce but there is a lovely tub of curry paste thats sold in our classes thats only 10.5 syns for the whole tub. Its so yummy, and Sainsburys stock it as well down beside the raw meats. Its called Dragon, a white tub with a yellow label and its so handy to have it as its makes such a quick tasty meal. If you're not a chinese fan just ignore:rotfl:

sashanut not sure if you've been answered yet but the quorn peppered steaks are free on all plans, and the value cheese slices are 2.5 syns each.

aliscrapper well done on your loss, bet thats perked you up:D Good luck for the dress fitting- how exciting!

yellowlabellady, thats an impressive loss and well done for keeping so much of it off for all this time:TDid you follow SW at all in between to maintain most of that?
    :starmod:C'est la vie:starmod:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your dinner sounds delicious!:j

Regards your frylite comment - i don't think anyone here has said they care more about their oven trays than their figure. Mrs McAwber commented on what it did to her trays - from the point of view of "if it does that to my oven trays, what on earth is it doing to my insides?":eek: (Mrs McA, if i interpret you wrongly, please correct me asap!)

The ingredients apart from oil and water are - emulsifier, soya lectin, E473, Alcohol, antioxidant and Vitamin E. Personally I prefer to minimise my chemical, preservative and additive intake (that's why I syn proper butter ), as I do my caffiene (one lot of caffiene a day) , trans fats , etc. Just like i choose to eat Free range eggs and meat purchased from the butchers. In fact, now I have typed that list up, I am even more determined not to buy fry light again . :eek::rotfl:

All lifestyle choices really. If i HAD to eat mullerlites and use frylight to lose weight, personally, I would rather stay a few pounds overweight, than overload myself with all the rubbish they have added to them. :)

But that's just my opinion:A

Congrats on your weight loss so far :)

OMG! ID never even considered what was in flylite :eek: i just naively thought it would be "healthy"

seriously thanks for pointing it out.

would be interested. oh has cholestrol problems- "fake" oils like this do not help at all. is this the sort of thing he should be avoiding?

Blimmin minefield innit :rotfl:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • zippychick
    Options
    I genuinely don't know the answer to that Lyns! Might be worth running past a medical professional? I genuinely don't know. I'm all into reading ingredients which is a bit of a curse to be honest! Have you read a low fat spread carton to see what's in it?

I don't pretend for a second to understand all the labels, but I do know I prefer a more natural substitute. I think to myself - if i don't have it in my kitchen, do I really want to eat it? Of course i do eat things with additives etc, i just try to limit them as much as possible (or make better choices):o

Incidentally - I see you drink a lot of diet coke - have you ever researched Aspartame ? I also used to be hooked on diet coke!

Sorry for the off topicness - it's something I am learning about, and I don't think it's wrong to encourage people to read labels like this, and be aware of the choices they make. Like my low sugar juice has aspartame - that's why i use enough literally to slightly colour the water - if i have some, although I am trying to cut down.

Am trying to sprout some alfalfa seeds which i see are free!:j Yippeeeee! Am off to stay in the boyfs tomorrow night, so will need to take dinner, snacks, and breakfast for the next day, to make sure I don't deviate! He suggested take out pizza, but I knocked that right on the head.

• sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 13 May 2010 at 10:43PM
    Options
    zippy i'd be interested to hear how you get on with making up your own spray oil. I've never really minded it but the spray nozzle on my frylite bottle has been playing up, and last night when I sprayed it the liquid came out in a big white puddle on the pan which really made me gag. Its put me off using it but i'm not sure of what to use as an alternative? And yip I'm a local:D, not from Belfast though but I'm in down there quite a bit and thats where my class is. Not sure if you like chinese curry sauce but there is a lovely tub of curry paste thats sold in our classes thats only 10.5 syns for the whole tub. Its so yummy, and Sainsburys stock it as well down beside the raw meats. Its called Dragon, a white tub with a yellow label and its so handy to have it as its makes such a quick tasty meal. If you're not a chinese fan just ignore:rotfl:

sashanut not sure if you've been answered yet but the quorn peppered steaks are free on all plans, and the value cheese slices are 2.5 syns each.

Thanks very much for that c-l-a-i-r-e - my books are so old they don't have the latest products in there. I'm relieved that the steaks are free - the one I had was very yummy.

Ok food for today - I think will be green but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

B : Marions rice muller 1/2 banana Cherry Muller (1 syn) - had half pot

L: left over frittata from yesterday (1/2 HEA for cheese), 1 teasp tommy sauce (1 syn)

D: quorn peppered steak with cheese slice (2.5), bubble & squeak with left over mash/veg from yesterday, baked beans made into BBQ beans with a teasp of BBQ sauce (had half can so 0.5 syns)

Snacks: pears, muller.

Syns: Cadbury choc mousse 3.5

HEA - milk in tea

Syns so far 8.5

Think I need some HEBs??
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure