We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• smallholdingsister
    Options
    Happy holidays NG!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cheers guys, we did spend last night but I won’t be buying double baileys again! £5.30 and a fraction of my usual size 😄 we just got up early to watch some of the three hours slow journey winding through the canals to get to Amsterdam, but were too late as we are nearly here. Good news is due to a windy forcast depature time has moved from 5pm tonight to 5 am tomorrow so we are overnight 😱 not sure what to do except the obvious wander round the red light district!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Back home now, we had an ok few days away although not as good as usual to be honest, it was cold, the ship was much more wobbly due to the time of year (can't think of the right phrase :rotfl:) and Amsterdam rained solidly the whole day and night so we got soaked. I think the timing wasnt great really as we both have so much on at the moment and it was harder to relax than usual.

Oh well, holiday part 2 this weekend at the Xmas market - hopefully will be better :D

Christmas is sneaking up fast now, still loads to sort out :eek:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Ok, well I got my money's worth food wise on the cruise this week - 4.5 lb on at weigh in tonight :eek::eek:

Can't believe that's even possible!

Dh has asked what I want for Xmas , can't think of anything yet except for a new fridge which is 1). Too dear 2). A bit of a 1950's housewife "gift" and perhaps not the feminist example my dd would like :rotfl:

It's tricky for him, I don't like to be asked what I want as he should know and I don't really want him choosing either (remembering back to the year I had size 6-8 knickers along side size 16-18 pyjamas) - all of which were wrong :rotfl:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Is there anything you'd actually like? - can you create a sort-of Amazon wish list of things you'd like? - he could choose some bits off there - ok, so no surprises, but it's stuff you'd like - and if you make the list long enough you won't know exactly what you're getting, as he won't be buying it all :D

OH and I aren't doing Xmas presents for each other this year - we've still got small presents from the children to open (as well as other family members) - I struggled to think of stuff for my mum to buy for me, let alone OH (and from my mum I've gone for the 'unexciting but will get used' No 7 face stuff and Sanctuary smellies. I spend too much time trying to declutter and tidy for random 'stuff' to be welcome. I'd rather consumables (whether that be food/ toiletries/ candles)/ experiences than physical items. (Unless it's stuff for my new kitchen! - but I can't choose some of it until it's done - so I expect my bday presents (early March) will be mainly kitchen based! :D But I don't care if it's something I love and want :))
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mrs K and I buy each other practical gifts or something we will keep for the rest of our lives. Sometimes we buy joint presents. Not a surprise but would work if you want the fridge and he wants the fridge also.

I really enjoy trying to find something my wife will like to open. One of her favourite presents was an alto saxophone: she played when younger, gave up and her niece started playing. Mrs K mentioned she'd like to play again, halfheartedly and I did wonder if she would really bother to take the instrument up again but decided to buy her a nice instrument for our anniversary. She was delighted and we often play jazz standards together. :) Suppose I'm saying it's worth thinking outside the box.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks greent and Alex, I did suggest a voucher to buy clothes next year (when I'm smaller hopefully!) as he will buy stuff if I want it or not and at least that will help with the money saving next year :money:

The sax sounds like a fun nostalgic present, usually the best kind i think! Thinking back my favourite presents as an adult have been quad roller skates, like the ones I had as a kid- I bought ds2 a pair the same year and we skated in the street in our pjs at 6 am in the rain Xmas morning :rotfl: a set of Harry Potter books dh bound for me, and a cushion with a picture of my cat on :D

Greent, I think you are right a long list may be a good idea! He tends to follow a tried and tested formula. This year I just want a new pair of old lady sheepskin slippers from c*stco but my parents are getting those.

So I had two choices tonight, finish packing and getting ready for going away tomorrow, or go to mum's and drink too much whilst watching tv and having a gossip, guess which one I chose :rotfl:
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sensible choice choosing to pack Newgirly :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    June 2024 - part 1 - £28,832 part 2 - £24,400 Total - £53,233 41 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    :beer: :rotfl:
  • michelle09
    Options
    Sometimes the non-feminist gifts are good. When we were buying our bathroom the sales guy said 'women like this toilet because the seat can be removed with this button for easy cleaning.' Super sexist, but also sold. And he was not wrong, it does make it much better. (Besides OH does 90% of the laundry so I don't mind cleaning the bathroom).

Maybe you and OH can go January sales shopping for a new fridge? Or just ask, practical gifts are still lovely.

Five minute packing is fine, you'll pick up all the important things and not have time for the extras!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure