We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Still feeling not quite right and came home from work and fell asleep at 6pm last night, very unusual.

I managed to do some blog reading while having an early night and discovered that the 'mortgage free in three' one written by Elaine who used to be on mse has sprung back into life.

It's always been a favourite, lots of super cheap recipes and a very positive outlook which always encouraged me :) if I can work out how to start back at the beginning of her blog I may re read it all. I'm also hopelessly behind reading diaries here, getting out of the loop seems to coincide with overspending , so that needs to be rectified.

Other good news is Aldi have put their Xmas food online to look at and there are some very similar items to the m and s ones I was going to order, at obviously much lower prices :T it's a gamble whether it will be easy to get hold of them on the day required and make take multiple visits to the big one out of town , but I think it'll be the route I go down , so some money saved there.

Did a Mr t shop last night £74 spent on not much really :eek: a few micro meals for while we are away, and more importantly a bottle of £10 champagne to pack :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Late to the party but mmmmmh - mouldy cheese from Borough Market!

I'll be there in less than 3 weeks time :j
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,985 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like you're managing some damage limitation there Newgirly, with reduced budget and Aldi stuff :) oh, and the £10 champagne - bet it's way more expensive on board!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    Have a nice time Ed :)

Manic week, nearly ready to go away in the morning, just the bathrooms to clean now.

Had my haircut and coloured today - cost £106 as I needed a tint as well. I knew it would be a massive upkeep cost which was why I was origionally going to wait until we are mf, but I was desperate for a change and long black hair to a short very blond bob is quite a change :eek: I guess now I'm literally paying the price :o

Weigh in day yesterday and 1lb on, to be honest I'm surprised it's not worse :rotfl: this situation will probably not improve after a four night cruise, and a weekend away a couple, of days later.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Just catching up. As much as the overspends are frustrating at least you get the joy of fiddling with
    your spreadsheets...!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • newgirly
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl: Yes indeed!

Almost ready to go, dh is having a lie in and letting me finish getting everything sorted, it wouldn't be right unless we had a minor fallout before a break/holiday, so that's probably his plan! Luckily we are always fine once we arrive :D

Not he best nights sleep as ds1 didn't get back from his gig until 1am, but other than that all going well.

I've just ordered dhs Xmas present, I had planned on getting a new tv for our bedroom as we have sky up there now and ours is old and very small and a long way away, however he does need a watch as he had lost his, so I've bought that instead. Nothing fancy until we are mf of course, £100 reduced to £44.99 and I hadn't a £10 off voucher :money: much cheaper than a tv which can wait until another time.

One of my girls nights out has switched from a party night type of place circa £60 without drink to a Xmas set meal at wildwood for £19.99 and a pub crawl , so more savings there. Also bought a kids onesie and a dressing gown for mum with my 20% off at m and s on Thursday.

Trying to trim our vast costs down over the next few weeks, starting with my hair which is too short this time, so I'll probably skip the cut next visit :rotfl: Not sure what other savings there are to be made at the moment , except not spending too much while we are on the cruise :)
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Are you still enjoying being blonde?
  • newgirly
    Options
    Yes I am , it does suit much better as I have very light hair and blue eyes.

Still running around, will be leaving at lunchtime at this rate.
  • newgirly
    Options
    I’m just having a coffee and a mooch online while we have a signal, dh is watching a film. It’s freezing here! Popped to the local town in belgium and bought some treats for the kids (the same ones who enjoy minimal contact with us while we are away!).

Even though I’ve budgeted for plenty of spending money while we are away, I seem to be more aware than usual about what I’m spending. Not sure why, perhaps it’s because it’s so close to xmas. Only one glass of champagne purchased so far :D

Good news is even though we booked an early saver (tightwad) fare where you are bottom of a long queue for a decent table , we have strangely got a table for two at the later sitting. Money saved there now as we won’t pay extra to eat elsewhere to get some time on our own 😄

I’m determined to come home with some cash!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope you're having a fab relaxing. I wondered if you were spending! Keep posting daily new girly, it will keep you accountable and focused and I enjoy your diary.
    June 2024 - part 1 - £28,832 part 2 - £24,400 Total - £53,233 41 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure