Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooops, did the Christmas order blow the budget plans?
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whoops, deleted my last post which said Ald1 was £5 off a £45 spend as it is most definitely £5 off a £40 spend as I've just bought the paper. Not sure if I'm going mad, I could have sworn it was £45 last time :o
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Testing times indeed :rotfl:

Hi Lula, the Xmas stuff is not included in the challenge thank goodness. However the budget has been blown already anyway :o

I made the rather rash decision to try dying the living room curtains ( I blame alchemilla :p) , there are 2x pairs of heavy cream jacquard curtains in the bay window which we have had since we moved in our previous house 16 years ago. So I bought some bright poppy red Dye to match the colour of the chimney breast , dyed the first curtain and it turned out a vile peachy salmon colour :eek:

So I've ended up buying two pairs of red chenille ones form dunh*lm for £68 incl. tie backs and hooks. We have such an odd shape rail they were the cheapest I could find to fit. Not a good start to the challenge, but I can't have one pink curtain and three cream and I can't sew properly. Very annoying to spend so much so early on , must do better and perhaps not attempt any new projects just incase :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Sorry pink poppy didn't see your post, hope you got he £5 off voucher I forgot!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh no, sorry to hear about the curtains newgirly...
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    Testing times...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    newgirly wrote: »
    Sorry pink poppy didn't see your post, hope you got he £5 off voucher I forgot!

I went to get a paper on the way home and they had none! Wasn't feeling motivated enough to go elsewhere as I had a £5 off £50 for Mr S I could use. Hadn't been for ages but still spent £78 :mad:
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oopsie to the curtains. I'm with you on being frugal though for the remainder of the year.
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I feel so bad about the curtains.

send them to me and I will fix them?

Sorry sorry sorry xxx
  • newgirly
    Options
    Of my goodness al I was joking :rotfl: unless you want to take responsibility for the fact I was dumb enough to check the label after I dyed them (it might have said polyester :o) I meant your sofa looked so good I was inspired :D

Anyway end result is I feel like I'm living in a posh hotel with my snazzy new curtains, and to top it off I had to take the kids to the game exchange store to sell stuff again and ended up mooching around Wilkos for a while waiting , when lo and behold there were four cream cushions with bright red Poppy's on the front reduced in the sale from £7 to £2 each. Obviously it was fate,( I have been resisting cushions for a while for the front room)so I bought them and a set of 6 glass red tea light holders for £1 , AND a turquoise metal kitchen set of : bread bin, biscuit/tea/coffee for £2.50 the lot down from £20.

Not really what I had planned spending but all far to good to pass up :D

I've knocked the cost of the curtains off the £1500 balance and divided the rest over the amount of weeks left this year , so slightly less to live on but not much difference.

Up early today due to dh going to work with dd noisily and spotting a big scary spider on the ceiling above me in bed :eek: off to start the leaning tower of ironing.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They're pretty good bargains from Wilkos. Maybe it was meant to be. Good luck with the budget, hopefully it will all balance out.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback