Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oops sorry for the delay in replying Peonie. I bought the pe kits very big so unless they lose them (very possible) they should last until they leave school. ;)

It's been a hectic week again, I've not been feeling great the last couple of weeks , nothing serious just tired and run down. I'm not always good at keeping on top of everything, so have decided to set aside one day a week to clean the whole house and get to the bottom of all washing baskets. I did it all yesterday but it really needs effort every day with so many of us.

Its payday next week and supposed to be the first month paying the IO mortgage as if it was a repayment ie £1700 pm :eek: , I should then have leeway of £100 which is very little. So I've decided to up the monthly payment by £10 and pay less off the mortgage in June. That way I can save about £1000 to a mini emergency fund the first month.

We have so much food in the cupboards, packet mixes, various tins, and lots of odds and ends so I'm going to try and cook a lot more and use some of it up. Last night to eat whilst watching england play I made some homemade pizzas , using the bread maker to make the dough instead of popping out for shop bought ones. Today I made a really nice salad with bits and bobs from ald*

Lolly Rosso lettuce
    A little fried aubergine and cherry tomatoes
    1/4 pack goats cheese
    Back olives
    Cucumber
    Little drizzle of pizza express dressing (approved foods 3 for £1)

It was really tasty and quite cheap ,I think I need to make it again tomorrow :D I also attempted risotto for the first time ever for dh and it was really good apparently. Defiantly reducing the food costs by cooking more is going to become more important against the mortgage payments have stepped up a big notch. I'm also contemplating giving up /cutting down alcohol again like alchemilla. Some times it's easy to slip into drinking more than I should be and not even notice, plus it costs a fortune.

Dh is making some Mexican lager home brew in the conservatory , he bought some equipment out of his inheritance as a little treat. Maybe I should get him to have a go at wine, and just partake in a little home brew occasionally. :beer:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would honestly go for brewing wine. For basically an hours effort you can get 30 or 60 bottles for £1.33 each.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    I would honestly go for brewing wine. For basically an hours effort you can get 30 or 60 bottles for £1.33 each.
    Our favourite red wine in Spain is €1.09 a bottle :eek::T:rotfl::D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been contemplating making my own wine, but some of the kits are so expensive.

Our favourite wine is the Toro Loco from Ald1 ~ we have expensive tastes!! :rotfl:
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • gallygirl
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »

Our favourite wine is the Toro Loco from Ald1 ~ we have expensive tastes!! :rotfl:
    We bought a bottle last night - but then opened a birthday gift to Mr GG - Faustino i - :T:T:T
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    Gotta love European country wine.

I buy beaverdale kits. They are £40 but the wine is easily £10 at least quality. Wilkos do much cheaper ones.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks alchemilla, just had a look :D I did have a go a couple of years ago with a pack from mr t , made it in what looked like a huge plastic water bottle I got from wilkos. But threw the wine because I didn't like it. What do you use to make it in and how do you bottle it afterwards (sorry if this is a daft question but my little brother doesn't bottle his beers just leaves them in a big keg with a tap ?)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • gallygirl
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Thanks alchemilla, just had a look :D I did have a go a couple of years ago with a pack from mr t , made it in what looked like a huge plastic water bottle I got from wilkos. But threw the wine because I didn't like it. What do you use to make it in and how do you bottle it afterwards (sorry if this is a daft question but my little brother doesn't bottle his beers just leaves them in a big keg with a tap ?)
    "Wonders if it's too early to fantasise about having a barrel of wine on tap. Decides it probably is" :o.
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haha, should we really be discussing making wine this early on a Saturday morning?! :rotfl:

Alchemilla, where do you buy your wine kits from?? I googled Beaverdale & they sell them in Tesco & Amazon. Not a great review on Amazon for the Shiraz, got 3 stars.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Alchemilla
    Options
    2014-01-28214716_zpsd700b18d.png
    Kits from creativewinemaking.co.uk two for eighty quid free delivery. Other websites have proved unreliable.

I review as follows...
    I like dry wine, not oaky though kits have oak chips you can add.
    Blush Chablis fabulous
    Pinot Grigio also fabulous
    Muscadet very good
    Sauvignon Blanc a bit mediocre
    Cabernet Sauvignon very good.

I make it in these (5 gallon fermenter with bung and airlock).
    We did buy a corker and corks and used washed wine bottles but now we simply siphon off 2 litres at a time into a plastic bottle. You could use any old jug. You also need steriliser-milton type stuff. Bung in ingredients. Add water. Stir. Wait til it stops going "blob blob". Add three more sachets of stuff on three consecutive days. Drink.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback