Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• MissOptimistic
    Options
    Thats just happened to us Newgirly, so we are stuck on Halifax's SVR of 3.99% as we are SE
    Emergency Savings Fund - £1100
    2015 Mortgage overpayments = £
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi NG, gosh you are a worrier !!

IMHO, carry on as you are, who knows what will change in the next 8 years (8 years !!!!!!) before the rate you are on ends. You are surely far better having no credit card debts than still some of those and still a fairly high mortgage ??? (Plus you wont have all the hassle and cost of changing them to new 0%s when you can and the worry that you wont get a new 0% etc etc) Surely cc debts will look far worse to any future financial interview than the mortgage being only slightly higher than it would have been ???

(oh and in that last posters slight defence cos i understand it was maybe a tiny bit blunt/black and white view - when you look through lots of your pages at once as i tend to do with a big catch up every so often, the thing that keeps sticking out is the holidays you book, cancel, rearrange etc lol, and the "treats" for the kids. In their defence they may not have read every page and understand that these things are really important for your family and you are now properly acknowledging, budgeting and saving for them rather than (as you were at first i think) taking money from here and there to pay for them then beating yourself up about trying to pay it all back to the self imposed pots).

Well done on how far you have come recently, its great to hear you so positive now, I love catching up with all your tales

daisy xxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thats just happened to us Newgirly, so we are stuck on Halifax's SVR of 3.99% as we are SE

Eek sorry to hear that missoptimistic, everything has changed so much in the last few months. I suppose the risk is greater if we no longer meet affordability checks, but its just so annoying to have to pay more :(
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    hi NG, gosh you are a worrier !!

IMHO, carry on as you are, who knows what will change in the next 8 years (8 years !!!!!!) before the rate you are on ends. You are surely far better having no credit card debts than still some of those and still a fairly high mortgage ??? (Plus you wont have all the hassle and cost of changing them to new 0%s when you can and the worry that you wont get a new 0% etc etc) Surely cc debts will look far worse to any future financial interview than the mortgage being only slightly higher than it would have been ???

(oh and in that last posters slight defence cos i understand it was maybe a tiny bit blunt/black and white view - when you look through lots of your pages at once as i tend to do with a big catch up every so often, the thing that keeps sticking out is the holidays you book, cancel, rearrange etc lol, and the "treats" for the kids. In their defence they may not have read every page and understand that these things are really important for your family and you are now properly acknowledging, budgeting and saving for them rather than (as you were at first i think) taking money from here and there to pay for them then beating yourself up about trying to pay it all back to the self imposed pots).

Well done on how far you have come recently, its great to hear you so positive now, I love catching up with all your tales

daisy xxx

Hi daisy thanks for popping in , the rate we are currently on ends in just under 2 years , it's the term that ends in 8. At the moment its harder for us to get a mortgage than loans/cc's etc. I can't see any problem with transferring balances on the cc long term as we are on a good income and currently the transfer fees are lower than the Apr on the mortgage.

My worry is if we get switched to the svr which is a huge 5.65% at chelsea bs , the interest payments would jump from £315 to £687 :eek: so I think maybe going back to good old oping might be the best move.

Thanks for the comments re the the other poster, It must get very tedious reading through my umming and ahhing page after page :D I the end though I suppose its better to weigh things up and mull over ideas in here than jump into rash spending decisions (as we have done in the past) it's an ongoing process and we have peaks and troughs. :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Not much to report today , I made a £1 op to the mortgage and also managed a Nsd.

Work has been tough this week, luckily for me I have thurs and Friday off so can catch up with jobs at home although poor dh is doing very long hours at the moment. I'm glad we booked the caravan at the weekend as he would be working otherwise, at least this way he is forced to rest :D

To do list thurs and fri:

Go to gym
    Go to friend for lunch thurs
    Wash and iron all clothes
    Pack for weekend
    Meal plan list for break plus shop and pack it all
    Minimum amount of housework :p
    Dye roots
    Pay deposit for dd's school bus £80
    Draw cash for week out
    Check accounts and decide on plan number 8001 to clear the mortgage :rotfl:
    Remove chavvy chipped nail varnish and do a manicure
    Think of ideas for Father's Day and buy and wrap plus cards
    Buy sympathy card for A friend who has just lost her dad :(
    Drop dog at inlaws
    Update mfi3 and mfw 2014 if time

That's it so far.
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ah, sorry for misreading - thought you were sorted for the 8 years. We fixed for 10 years a while ago hence my misreading. Yup, sounds like the best option for you guys is the credit card way

daisy
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • newgirly
    Options
    No worries daisy, I wish it was an 8 year deal though :)

We had an ok weekend in clacton , a very disappointing caravan park with not much there and I was woken at 5 am by two couples drinking swearing with music blasting and dancing on the roof of their car this morning :eek: called security and they didn't come out , so complained again at reception this morning. I shall definatly email the company though, we do have realistic expectations booking a cheap last minute caravan break, but this was worse than I've ever experienced.

Other than that it went well, we had a day out in clacton which is very cheesy but the kids enjoyed the arcades and rides. Back home at lunchtime to do unpacking a quick shop and 3 black sacks of washing, I'm now tucked up in bed with the iPad and laptop ready to do some sums on the mop calculator - bliss :D
  • newgirly
    Options
    I had a good go throught the op calculator last night , happy days :D

There are currently 7 yrs 11 months left on the term

£315 pm IO at 2.59% for two years

£1701 pm if paying as repayment at 2.59%

The latter is too high to sustain long term probably, but on a month to month basis will be possible at least some of the time, plus obviously the rate is only going to go up in the future but I'm burying my head in the sand at the moment regarding that :p
  • newgirly
    Options
    Busy week at work again, too much work for the amount of staff but not enough money to pay more staff yet.

We had some sad news this week, the BIL of dh's late boss passed away unexpectedly at the weekend, probably a heart attack but he was only 53. His poor wife has lost her brother at the same age of a brain tumor and now her husband :(

Not much to report this week financially , except 2x new pe kits for the boys , its sports day today so it thought they should have some that fit a bit better. Ds1 has been asked to run the 800 metres but doesn't want to , so his plan is to refuse or walk it :rotfl: that's the spirit son , do your best :eek: seriously though he will do it (or I shall be removing the Xbox ;))

Back tonight for a proper diary catch up, hope everyone is ok
  • Peonie
    Peonie Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    Good news about the work. Sorry about the sad news. It's a shame you've had to buy new PE kit when summer is so soon. Hopefully they'll fit in it for the majority of next year. You made me smile with your Xbox comment. He should be proud he's good enough to have been picked. But I would say that, I was our school's girls athletics captain. Shines badge :)
    Pots: House £6966/£7100, Rainy day Complete, [STRIKE]Sunny day £0/£700[/STRIKE], IVF £2523/£2523, Car up-keep £135/£135, New car £5000/£5000, Holiday £1000/£1000, MFW #16 £2077/£3120
    MFiT3 #86: Reduce mortgage from £146,800 to £125,000
    Mortgage Sept 2014: £135,500, MF Oct 2035 Peak July 2011: £154,000, MF July 2036
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback