Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy sorting.
    Im still mulling over your capsule wardrobe.
    Did you get rid of all your old stuff? Xxx
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi alchemilla, I have bagged up about one and a half black bags so far, I'm going to store that somewhere rather than get rid at the moment, just incase I want them again.But there is still loads to sort out though.

I would have a google and get some ideas, my wardrobe is fairly comfy and casual whereas lots online seem to be more capsule work wardrobes. It's been easier to get started for me as I bought most of it from one place so it all goes quite well together.

After the last couple of months of frustration with shopping at mr t I have have quit! The only reason I was going there was because it was easy to park and on the way home from work, plus they take cc's and I a would have to catch up 2 x months with my monthly allowance if that makes sense.

That had put me off for ages, effectively losing a couple of months debt repaying money, but after the last few weeks of watching some prices virtually double for no reason, and the cost of some basics seem ridiculous I have bitten the bullet.

I need to work out what to do next with our repayment plans , but from now on its a no credit card household (except temporary use for large items that need extra insurance etc.)

The new supermarket of choice is the fabulous ald* , I use to shop there but it's been ages! wow what an eye opener :D I celebrated the move back last night with a very nice £2.99 bottle of white wine :beer:

It also means using cash and debit card which will hopefully mean more savings in a pot from leftovers, back to the old school way :T
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Newgirly I agree you can save so much by shopping at Aldi! and lid!. I have started again from this month of going there first and getting the remainder of items at MrS. I have already saved about £30 this week. The fruit &veg is really good value. I have treated myself from lid! For tonight a nice price of Salmon so looking forward to that. I would like a nice wine but unfortunately I go to sw and that would be extra points. I was naughty last night and had a small Irish coffee homemade.;)
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • newgirly
    Options
    Its great isn't it, I'm not sure why I ever stopped shopping there :D

Feeling rough this morning after a night out with dh, he helped out one of my mums friends and she thanked him by paying £25 towards a meal at our local Indian restaurant, which was very sweet. So we went to the local pub first and then for a lovely curry, due to excess wine we still managed to run up an extra £15 on top of the voucher :o this was followed by free liqueurs and shots (mostly for dh!) as he is quite friendly with the owner as it's only round the corner.

Plus I'm confessing to a £12.99 bogof pizza delivery for the kids who were left indoors too :p

Today I'm having as long a lie in as possible , then going to buy some plants for my new £1 land little wall hanging baskets for the front garden, dh says its way too early but I was thinking pansies might be ok? It's such a nice day I might even tackle cleaning the car inside and out. My dad found a stray cocktail sausage rolling around the other day, the last time they were in the car was lunch at alton towers last halloween :eek:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Is it only Tuesday? it feels like it should be Friday already! Very busy at work yesterday and then gym, same today and tomorrow I think.

My little brother has started working for the company this week, he will be training for some time first but I really hope it works out as he has been out of work for years :D

I'm enjoying cooking the fab ald*food I bought , last night the kids had sausages 99p mange tout 69p I think and a whole bag of wedges 59p with 3 sausages leftover that made a sausage casserole for dh tonight.

Mortgage paperwork came through yesterday, I am leaving the term as it is at the moment and will probably change it in a few weeks , otherwise I'll have to redo the new deal with a different term and I just want the paperwork back quick and it secured, I really think rates might rise a bit soon.

I had a bit of a surprising chat at work yesterday with a friend, he is buying a new car (after his was written off) and I suggested getting a cc and doing the 0% jig instead of traditional car finance and he said he has a 0% cc already , got it our of his wallet and it was a santand*r "zero" cc that he'd had for a while with a balance on it and assumed that meant 0% interest forever :eek: I don't want to be too pushy but tried to suggest applying for a new 0% via mse 's best buy list. I feel I've stuck my nose in a bit, he was not offended and I've known him years but its so frustrating when others don't know the mse way, it should be compulsory in school :money: :rotfl:
  • newgirly
    Options
    I did another ald*shop n the way home from work , another £50 spent :o to be honest I have no idea what I usually spend in mr t as I haven't kept a food spending diary for a very long time. But I suppose it must be a lot more with lots of mini shops.

Work is busy which is good and Hopefully today is my last day there until next Monday :j the house is a tip so I Plan to blitz it tomorrow. I want to get in a routine where weekends are free to work on the garden/house or go out and have fun. Since I started work I'm forever catching up with stuff not done in the week.

The online password arrived from national savings so I can buy premium bonds online now, as it took so long I bought one in dh's name this month, I thought I'd do alternate months for us both, not that it makes much difference really :rotfl:
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also a Lidl convert. Frozen mexican veg for 80p makes amazing fatgittas with wraps and a bit of cheddar.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Good idea, must say I've not thought of using frozen veg for fajitas before, I shall try it :)

Day off whooo :D I need to sort the house out and do all washing and ironing, but am going to go to the local shopping centre as dd is off college today and wants to hand out more cv's , plus I need a new bra.

I have butter beans in to soak so tonight it will be gigantes plaki by a girl called jack, a gorgeous and super cheap garlicky tomato dish. Mum has given me 12 eggs and I already have quite a few supermarket ones , so it will have to be scrambled eggs on toast for the kids tonight and maybe pancakes after.

I'm trying to ditch the heating completely now, it only goes on for on hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening, there will be complaints though, for some reason dd gets cold in leggings and a vest top in winter :rotfl:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Had a good time shopping and spent some of my birthday money:

Pink flowery duvet cover £12
    Pink light up flowers to go on bedstead £6
    Vintage glass pot with lid for earrings £3
    Cushion £4

I have switched from winter decor to summer in the new bedroom sounds crazy I know but is easily done as all the walls are white! I shall tuck away all the red tartan stuff until later in the year now :D

I have cancelled the gym today as not feeling too good, in a little pain with a reoccurring problem so am going for a coffee instead. :beer: housework not done as I didn't feel up to it yesterday, will pay the price today though as I have family for a takeaway tonight , also possibly a friend over for lunch, although she has not replied to my text yet. I should probably get out of bed then and start to tidy :o
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy belated birthday Newgirly. I am liking your capsule wardrobe idea, I no longer wear a uniform now and it's a struggle thinking of what to wear. I bought a few autumn/winter pieces but have nothing for the spring/summer.

Well done on securing new mortgage deal, I did ours a while ago for April 1st and glad I don't have to think about it now. We will be on 2.99% fix for 5 years so I just wish we were in a better position to OP and really make the most of it!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback