Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would go with the 5 year just so I know where I stand but my crystal ball has failed several times. We always seem to sell/buy/fix at the wrong times!

But at least I always know roughly what it coming in/out

Well done on keeping up with your early starts!
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Poor ds1 has been up all night ill, dh has gone to work to try and catch up so we will have a lazy day indoors today.

I've been whiling away time on rightmove this morning and spotted our first flat for sale , in need of renovation up for offers over £125k , we paid £41k brand for it brand new in 1995 and that was enough to buy a 3 bed house at the time, in a not so nice road nearby, how times have changed!

Prices have shot up in our area in the last year, there are a few houses in the road next to ours for sale, 3 bed terraces are going for £320+ When just over a year ago they were £260 ish it's literally bonkers. How will our kids ever be able to buy unless they move a long way away :(
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    How will our kids ever be able to buy unless they move a long way away :(
    Our kids will have extremely well off mortgage free parents to help :) Or at least here's hoping!

I remember seeing my dad's first pay packet which showed he earned £3000 a year while my first job paid £13000 a year!

I hope ds1 is feeling a bit better
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • newgirly
    Options
    Oops I've been missing for longer than I thought :o

It's been a manic week, busy at work and going to the gym. Not much to report really, I went to the shopping centre today with my best friend which was lovely and I treated myself to a couple of new clothes as it's my birthday Sunday and I'm probably going to get a bit of money. :D

I have put by £100 to buy another premium bond this month and am carrying on with the £10 a week cash in a sealed tin for Xmas, other than that it's just loan and cc repayments coming out.

I really need to go through the accts later or tomorrow to see what's what as I have let everything slide in the last week, hope everyone else is ok :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Eek, just been through the accounts for the month as we got paid this week. I can use the cc from the 27th of each month and spend up to £650 , I have already spent £325 :eek: a chunk of this is the deposit for the mini cruise we are doing in nov. The rest is a pair of new trainers for ds2 and a top for ds1 plus a little bit of nice food from m&s, very naughty.

I have transferred £118 into savings that was surplus , £60 towards car ins, £40 int he sealed tin and the £100 premium bond money ready for when my online passwords come through so I can order more.

We were intending on going out for the day with the kids but dd is at a party/sleepover and the boys are not that keen , lazy teens! So I might just go out with dh for lunch or pop to the garden centre for a mooch around. The inlaws are coming over later as its mil's birthday on Monday.
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How is the capsule wardrobe working out?
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi alchemilla, hope ur well :) the capsule wardrobe is FANTASTIC :D to be fair I did have a pretty poor excuse for a wardrobe before though, old primarni jeans , sweatshirts and too tight t'shirts :rotfl:

Now its 3 colours, navy, cream and bright poppy red. Everything mixes well together and I look a lot more like a grown up! I managed to get a blazer (cream£7 in the sale) and a lovely navy 60's style mac with cream piping for just £25 in primarni the other day. All the other bits were from n*xt and I'm really pleased with the quality.

Its my birthday today and dh has just bought me a cup of tea in bed :love: no presents yet as the kids are all asleep still. We are off to my parents for lunch and if time a mooch around the garden centre this morning.
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a lovely day _party_
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    :bdaycake:

Many happy returns!

MWCx

Capsule wardrobe sounds fab - this is my project for next month :)
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Happy Birthday have a great day. It's my mums birthday today she's got lots of years on you though she's 86.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure