Thousands will lose benefits as harsher medical approved

Options

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2010 at 1:02PM
    Options
    Paranoia is often dealt with by persuading and showing the anxious person,that their is nothing to fear and their fears are unfounded,
    For some reason you have a problem with that!

I have no problem with that at all; is that what all of you think you're doing with all this talk of Nazi Germany - "showing the anxious person,that there is nothing to fear and their fears are unfounded". Sounds like the worst kind of mass hysteria to me!
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no problem with that at all; is that what all of you think you're doing with all this talk of Nazi Germany - "showing the anxious person,that their is nothing to fear and their fears are unfounded". Sounds like the worst kind of mass hysteria to me!

I think that many people would have the knowledge and judgement to know the comparison is a metaphor and in turn would be inclined to support and trust people who want fairness, transparentcy, openess and freedom of information(except where human life was put in danger)

As opposed to people like yourself, who seem want to deny others fairness and freedom.
    Child of a Fighting Race.
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    I personaly have no problem with cutting benefits providing it is done fairly and transperantly the right people are targeted and genuine claimants are protected.
    Trouble is the cost of appeals is going to be a huge burden on the tax payer.
    The appeals system wil grind to a halt nex year. no doubt about that.

Also people talk about appeals as though it is akin to buying a quarter of midget gems at the corner shop. It is a stressful thing to do if you are ill.

The people who are trying to scam the system, will gladly play the system to its full, appealing at every level.
    And then when every appeal is exahausted if they have been turned down will start to claim ESA again, and play out the whole system again.and again. Exploiting the vague 6 month rule.

When I last spoke to welfare rights, they actually advised me against claiming for ESA, due to it being even more stressfull than IB, and likely to cause more health problems for me.

Odd, another branch almost a year ago told me to put in a claim, which I did, but it seems to have been 'lost' as I never heard anything after sending the form.

Things must be bad if they are now saying its better to get less money to protect your health.

I failed my last appeal (knew it would happen) and have asked for a new one, as welfare rights were supposed to be representing me (but did not turn up).

Looks like another year on next to no money...

Its incredibly stressful the whole appeal process, and very lengthy.

I just hope it does not drag out much longer than it has to, but with the way things are going, with ESA etc clogging up the appeals system, I could be waiting a very long time.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • cit_k
    Options
    I think that many people would have the knowledge and judgement to know the comparison is a metaphor and in turn would be inclined to support and trust people who want fairness, transparentcy, openess and freedom of information(except where human life was put in danger)

As opposed to people like yourself, who seem want to deny others fairness and freedom.

It seems the DWP can avoid all fairness, openness, transparancy, even the FOI act, by simply contracting things out to a third party, then hiding behind contractual secrecy agreements, and saying releasing information would put future contracts at risk.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
  • cit_k
    Options
    I have no problem with that at all; is that what all of you think you're doing with all this talk of Nazi Germany - "showing the anxious person,that their is nothing to fear and their fears are unfounded". Sounds like the worst kind of mass hysteria to me!

So, try showing us where our fears are wrong.

Obtain a copy of lima, use the FOI act. Perhaps you will succeed where everyone else fails.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    It's not paranoia if they really are after you.

I face this kind of discrimination every day. It isn't homophobia that bothers me most in my personal life as far as that goes, it's ableism.

It took me three months to be able to fill out my DLA forms last time. I felt so awful outlining everything I can't do that I had to stop and start again several times - and by the time I had the energy to tackle the whole thing at once, my medications had changed again and I had to initial every little alteration. It took a solid three hours with a LOT of help from someone from the Pensions Service to get the whole thing filled out at once.

The darn thing is like emotional torture, yet the fakers have no problems filling it out because all they have to do is imagine and embellish. This is not the way to distinguish genuine claimants from others!
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options

When have I ever said that?

You may see all this talk of Nazi Germany as a metaphor but I don't think that this is the way many people mean it. I also think that there may be some very frightened and upset people reading this thread who see the comments as literally true.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Trialia wrote: »
    It's not paranoia if they really are after you.

I face this kind of discrimination every day. It isn't homophobia that bothers me most in my personal life as far as that goes, it's ableism.

It took me three months to be able to fill out my DLA forms last time. I felt so awful outlining everything I can't do that I had to stop and start again several times - and by the time I had the energy to tackle the whole thing at once, my medications had changed again and I had to initial every little alteration. It took a solid three hours with a LOT of help from someone from the Pensions Service to get the whole thing filled out at once.

The darn thing is like emotional torture, yet the fakers have no problems filling it out because all they have to do is imagine and embellish. This is not the way to distinguish genuine claimants from others!

Why is is "ableism" to expect claimants to fill in forms to claim benefits - should money just be handed out on a person's word?
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    Why is is "ableism" to expect claimants to fill in forms to claim benefits - should money just be handed out on a person's word?

Obviously not, but the DWP's doctors don't seem to get given any training in invisible/neurological illness whatsoever, so they treat it as unimportant, and that is being a degree of ableist, to regard certain disabilities as less valid and less life-affecting than visible ones.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Trialia wrote: »
    Obviously not, but the DWP's doctors don't seem to get given any training in invisible/neurological illness whatsoever, so they treat it as unimportant, and that is being a degree of ableist, to regard certain disabilities as less valid and less life-affecting than visible ones.

Surely most disabilities are invisible; not everybody's in a wheelchair or carries a white stick!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure