PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

blackberry picking

Options

Comments

• Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    First year i have done this omg i am now addicted and making lots of jam ( hm apple and blackberry pie in oven) :j

Do you all pick them? When is the best time as a lot of the bushes are still covered in small green berries?

Thank you
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We haven't got any ripe ones here yet, looks like it'll be another week or two before they're ready.

The best time to pick them is when they're ripe! ;)
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are quite a few where we live and it looks as if it is going to be a good year for them.

(There is only one pack from last year left in the freezer)
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • sopranolmu
    Options
    I've never frozen blackberries, as worried about...well, freezing them. lol! How long do they keep in your freezer without going a bit dodgy? How do you store them? I ask as we have some paranoid fussy eaters in our house, who are very iffy about dates on food and bits going off and what have you :)

I think I'm going to have go hunting for mine this year! Used to pick a neighbour's hedges - with permission! - but think she's taken them up! :O
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    I soak mine in salted water for a bit (gets the creepy crawlies out), then rinse and drain on some kitchen paper. Then I lay them out on baking trays and freeze. Once frozen, they can go in bags and they won't stick together in one lump.

I've still got berries in my freezer from a couple of years ago. They're fine.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And try not to pick any from the side of the road as they may be covered in exhaust fumes.....and dog wee.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    Our chickens love blackberries. Last year, one of the little ones, Sweetpea, discovered that if she hopped up onto hubby's shoulder and walked along his arm, she could get to the berries before he could pick them and give them to the other girls!
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    Our blackberries are a bit late this year - normally I'd be picking them by now, but they're still not quite ripe (but my blackcurrants have produced a bumper crop in the meantime, and a friend has had a glut of strawberries and raspberries!)

I pick them in my local park, like Gingervamp soak them in salted water, rinse and then bag them in small bags, and put the bags in the freezer. Then through the winter I add a bag in when I'm stewing apples - real comfort food!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    We usually go picking at the end of August, do not pick the lower ones because of dog widdle and avoid those near a busy road. I am another who washes them in salt water and open freezes them
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Ash_McCloud
    Ash_McCloud Posts: 21,412 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    The best time to pick them is slap bang between them ripening, and somebody else picking them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport