We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Littlewoods/NDR and claiming back their 12 pound charges

Options

Comments

• silkbeast_2
    silkbeast_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    With ref to my previous post - have received a letter from Shop Direct (the parent company) stating that they have not yet passed this over to NDR - why then are they (NDR) charging me these £12 fees?
    Have sent on to Financial Ombudsman - will let you know what happens when reply received......
    :j
  • daviduk1976
    daviduk1976 Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys,

Recieved letter today from the FOS regarding the charges and Extra Care on my Closed Littlewoods account.

Letter:

YOUR COMPLAINT ABOUT SHOP DIRECT HOME SHOPPING LIMITED

Thanks for the enquiry. The matter you have raised does not appear to be something we are able to look into. However, it is possible that FINANCE & LEASING ASSOCIATION may be able to help you. I suggest that you contact them.

It gives details of who they are.

I looked at there website www . fla. org.uk but it doesn't show littlewoods/shop direct as one of there customers......

any suggestions?

Has anyone actually got anything back from Littlewoods?

Regards

David xx
    TOTAL 2013 £3100 :eek:
    TOTAL 2014 £1250

TOTAL 2015: £500 winning:2 tkts to theatre, Cap1 Footie, weeks holiday in lakes.
  • reidy100_2
    reidy100_2 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Well, over a week ago We overpaid to put us one month in advance,

Guess what?? Today received a tried to contact you 12 pound charge sent 2 days ago

Am fuming

Martin can you get someone to look into this scam???
  • reidy100_2
    Options
    Well, rang Littlewoods on 0844 822 8000

Complaints re NDR should be sent to

Name of Catalogue Company (Insert your Catalogue name) Complaints team
    Sandringham House
    Sandringham Avenue
    Chelmsford
    CM92 1LJ
  • reidy100_2
    Options
    Also, regarding the charges, if I want a log of all action , charges, phone call logs etc. Do I go SAR or Data Protection

Which ever one it is can you point me at the correct template please.
  • reidy100_2
    Options
    OH rang them tonight, they refunded the 12 pounds, when asked about getting information on past problems she was told 10 pounds per statement would be the charge. I told her to mention the DP Act, he went away and had "discovered" the SAR route for 10 pounds. Said they had rung her mobile twice, but didnt leave any message "because of the DP Act" no missed calls were found for the times mentioned.
  • MusicalLawyer
    Options
    I was wondering if someone could help me please?
    I also posted this on another thread too.

I have a Littlewoods Account, which got sent to NDR as I owe a debt of (now) £655.

NDR keep charging me £12 every month for sending me debt collection letters AND £12 for late minimum payment. I'm disputing the £12 charges for the letters.

I've paid six... so I've paid £72 for them to send me SIX letters!?
    Am I able to claim these back?

I read the terms and conditions of my Littlewoods Account and it doesn't say anything about a third party being able to apply charges on my account.

Also, I have seen information regarding my credit agreement, and that if there is no signed agreement sent to me within a prescribed time (I think it is 30 days) then Littlewoods are unable to enforce the debt, therefore rendering me free from this debt?

Any help would be great :)

Any if anyone has any letter templates I'd be very grateful, as I'm not very good with this type of thing :(
    SAVINGS: £63.86 // £3,000
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    NDR is well known for putting these types of charges on. We were routinely charged £12 for late fee, £12 for collection letter, and another £12 for "attempt to contact by phone" charge. Every month. And as we had told them in writing twice that we did not want contact by phone but by letter only, I was initially livid that they were charging us for this. Especially as we had already changed our phone number, so all they were doing was getting that "this is no longer a valid number" thing from the phone company when they called - but yet they still charged us each month for this!

However, Additions put in writing that they have no CCA for us, which is why we stopped paying anyway, so we're not worried about what charges they add. We have already advised them in writing that as they have confirmed they are unable to locate a CCA that we will not be paying anything until they can produce one... which they can't. So in 4-5 years when the 6 years is up, it will be statue barred and we can officially ignore them. They have literally doubled the initial debt with all the charges they put on each month - they are still sending statements, which we simply file. But they are no longer attempting to send it out to DCAs, just sending statements and that's it.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • MusicalLawyer
    Options
    When does the 6 years start from? I opened my account in April 2010, and had debt since August 2010. So does it go from August 2010, meaning in August 2016 it will be statute barred?

Also, are NDR able to put a default notice on your credit file? Even though Additions (in my case Littlewoods) cannot allocate a Credit Agreement for your account?

I am writing to Littlewoods requesting they send me a copy of my Credit Agreement - if they don't have one then am I right in thinking that they cannot send me letters etc?

I have written a letter asking for my £12 charges back which I have already paid - for the "substantial effort" they have made in trying to contact me (haha!) Here is the letter: (Do I send to NDR or Littlewoods?)

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re:− Account Number xxxxxxxx

I am writing to you with regards to request a refund of the charges applied to my account.

I am not disputing the late payment charges, but I am disputing the £12 charges for, as you say, “the substantial amount of effort in trying to contact me”. I have received NO phone calls from you ONLY letters, therefore the £12 charges are unjust and unfair and do not comply with the guideline set out by the Office of Fair Trading. In their debt collection guidelines it specifically states, under 2.9 that “Charges should not be levied unfairly”. Under 2.10 it goes on to give some examples of unfair charges. You are in breach of 2.10.d which is the example of “applying unreasonable charges, for example, charges not based on actual and necessary costs”. It does not cost £12 to print a letter and send it.

That is all I have so far, any help would be grand as I'm trying to sort myself out as I'm only young and am trying to build a career, for which I need to take out a loan in the future for a professional course. :)
    SAVINGS: £63.86 // £3,000
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    Wait for someone with more information to pop by before you send that letter. I'm fairly sure I read somewhere about putting "my" account and such in the letter rather implies your ownership of the account, but I don't know for sure. I can't quite remember ...

Anyway, yes they can still chase you for it and send letters and such. No CCA and being unenforceable just means that they cannot take you to court over it. I believe they can also place a default on your credit file as well.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills