MSE News: Petrol prices hit record high

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rogermunns wrote: »
    For one, if a Political Party said they would, if elected, ban garages from charging decimal parts of a penny, they'd get my vote!

And are they more likely to round up by the .1p and cost you money, or round down by .9p and cost themselves money?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Electric cars are not the future, they are not environmentally friendly. All they do is move the pollution to the power plant. Its amazing how many people don't get this. And they are not practical. Imagine running out of battery power on a long journey and facing a 6 hour charge before you can carry on!

So just continue relentlessly using up fossil fuels at an ever increasing rate and cost then?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    rogermunns wrote: »
    For one, if a Political Party said they would, if elected, ban garages from charging decimal parts of a penny, they'd get my vote!

Simple cure for that ...just add 0.1p tax per litre, sorted.

We are all worse off.:(
  • suesman
    Options
    If you would like to know how to get a free tank of fuel for every 4 you buy and it will also give you savings on tyres and engine wear and tear read on........

The answer is at the end of your right leg, slow down from 75mph to 55mph and the savings will drop into your wallet or purse, guaranteed. All you lose is getting to the back of another traffic queue sooner than you do.
    It doesn't matter wht type of vehicle you drive it always applies, and even more so if you drive a larger fronted vehicle such as a van or people carrier, SUV etc.
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    suesman is quite correct. That, and keep your tyres pumped up.

I dropped to an average of 55mph from 70 on my commute to work and now get near 70mpg (from an average of 62-64), and it doesn't take any longer. Cars breeze past me on the dual carriageway, only to catch up at them sat seething at the traffic lights or another random queue.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    The answer is at the end of your right leg, slow down from 75mph to 55mph and the savings will drop into your wallet or purse, guaranteed.

You are probably right, but driving slowly like that would be tedious and very frustrating. Petrol is still cheaper, as a proportion of average income, than it was when I bought my first car in 1963.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options
    spam%20boy.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Boycotting must be working! My local Asda have dropped the price per litre by 3 points of a penny today! Wooo! :rotfl:
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Boycotting must be working! My local Asda have dropped the price per litre by 3 points of a penny today! Wooo! :rotfl:

Now thanks to the power of compound interest, be sure to save the 8p you didn't have to give them! in 30 years time at a rate of 3% you'll have 20p! :j
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • karl.trimble
    karl.trimble Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 April 2010 at 9:52PM
    Options
    hi

first post on a forum, read an interesting idea , if everyone stops buying from bp and esso the two biggest companies they will be forced into lowering their prices, then the other companies would have to follow suit. thus starting a price war
    from what the leaflet said it want to run it like a chain letter if you think the idea
    is a good one pass it on to 10 people get them to pass it on and so on,
    at the end of the day without customers esso and bp cant survive they need us we can buy petrol fro many other stations

the one above was not there when i was typing this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport