Forum Home » Debt-Free Wannabe » Debt Free Diaries

How I Got Myself Debt-Free - Freebird's Journey - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

How I Got Myself Debt-Free - Freebird's Journey

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
64 replies 24.7K views

Replies

• MolanoleMolanole Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Freebird - A massive WELL DONE on your debt free successes and thank you for posting such an inspirational story when so many of us on here seem to really be flagging right now.

Another vote for post of the month from me!!
    Debt Free Nerd No. 89, LBM: April 2006, Debt at highest (Sept 05): £40,939.96
    NOW TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!!!!! Woooo hooooooo!!! DEBT FREE DATE: 23 December 2009
  • Well done again! I really enjoyed your story Freebird and I think you are absolutely wonderful for turning your back on that fake - and expensive lifestyle.

Massive massive hug to you, seriously. I really wanna give ya a big ol' bear hug! :D
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • mrs_mug_2mrs_mug_2 Forumite
    172 posts
    Thank you for sharing your story. I've just started on my journey to becoming debt free. The goal is a long way off but it is stories like yours that will keep me motivated.

Congratulations for regaining control - here's to a debt free, mortgage free future.
  • Your one switched on chick Freebird.Well done !
    I hope others can gain inspiration from your story
  • Mrs_SparkleMrs_Sparkle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    What an amazing story. You are an inspiration to those of us who are just starting out on our debt free journeys. I can identify with so many things you mention... it shames me now to think I'd happily spend £400 per month in Tesco's and still have to top it up at the corner shop as I hadn't bought the things that I needed.

Well done and I hope you're having a big glass of something chilled to celebrate tonight x
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Well done you! Reading your story is quite inspirational. I've been struggling ever since I can remember. Think it all started in 1998 when I borrowed a measly £2K to buy a car (which got nicked, long story!), several credit cards, store cards, holidays and overdrafts later it's nearing £12K. REALLY need to get myself sorted and to hear that I'm not alone is quite reassuring. OH knows I'm a mess with money - yet it's me who deals with our money as he works away. This makes feel even worse when I mess up like last Christmas we missed a direct debit (Council Tax) = delightful £85 bank charges!

Anyway, well done again xx
    Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
  • PrudentPrudent Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a lovely testimony to yourself and mse. I suspect there are many people whose lives will be transformed by this site. I do hope Martin will get an mbe one day -wish it was by nomination! What clearly stands out from your story is 1) your sense of achievement and 2) how happy you are now.
    Thank you for sharing this with us.
  • Well done!
    I'm impressed...and jealous as well.
    This will sound strange, but I wish I had had a wardrobe full of designer gear and a flash car to show for my debt-then I could have ot rid of it all!
    Instead, I have nothing...
    WAIT! I have loads!!!
    I have a healthy, beautiful family, a loving supportive husband and a safe, comfortable home. I have everything I need...
    Thanks Freebird-you've made me recognize again how truly lucky I am.
    Bunny
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • Thank you for sharing and many congratulations:beer:

What stood out for me was asking if you 'need or want' something - I think I'm going to use that:j I have been trying to follow the many recommendations on this site and that will be added to the list! To have changed your life completely and to be happier than ever is just fantastic - well done - you are truely an inspiration:D
  • freebird65 wrote:
    My story started some years ago in the City where I worked. It's very much a culture of conspicuous consumption and it's very easy to get sucked into it. I earnt fantastic money, the social life was an endless whirl and yes, I loved it.

I'm there too. Although now lucky enough to be living with my B/F in the sticks now (and therefore able to avoid the bars and restaurants after work), I still commute. The hardest thing is avoiding Karen Millen and Itsu for lunch on a friday.

I have massive debts and am dealing with them. But I agree that this site is a godsend. My B/F laughs, and thinks I am obsessed. But we are going on holiday for 5 nights in august entirely on tesco vouchers and I am about to pay a years worth of gym membership with the next batch. So all of the trappings, but none of the cost.

Well done. It takes a lot to get out of the city mentality!

Just remember girls. If you don't need it, and you can't use it as a present, don't buy it. (Unless you have PMT of course, when it can be excused...:p )