'When did you last go into your bank?' poll discussion

12346»

Comments

• fifipat
    fifipat Posts: 123 Forumite
    I regularly go in to my bank as I have an account for my Rainbow unit and I have to deposit cheques and cash. I occasionally have to cash cheques from that account. For personal banking it was also in the last week because I had a refund on my electricity when I changed supplier.

Other than that I use my online banking account and occasionally the telephone.
  • Money management by mobile phone is the next big thing. Particularly for third world countries, where the local bank branch could be 400 miles away.

See www.monitisegroup.com
  • aurion22
    aurion22 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    tara747 wrote: »
    Actually, I was opening an ISA to transfer my old ISA into, so it *is* quicker to go into branch with your transfer form and ID. If you open it online it takes way longer. ;)

I opened an ISA online to transfer (and gained an extra 1% .. thanks to MSE). They were able to check my ID there & then .. although they did say they'd be sending something out in the post.

I also opened one for this year online and have already paid into it online. I can't think why I would need to go into a bank nowadays.
  • FelixTCat
    FelixTCat Posts: 31 Forumite
    Like samshep I bank with smile, which doesn't have any branches and, frankly, I don't miss them. smile have a freepost address for paying in cheques and can set up standing orders, direct debits and one-off payments online. They are also in the quick payments scheme, so most money transfers occur within an hour or two. I cannot think offhand of any additional service that a branch can offer. (Sorry if this sounds like an advert, but the service is really good).
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FATBALLZ wrote: »
    I opened an ISA this week without leaving the house. Option of spending 2 minutes on the laptop or driving to the bank, queueing up with a load of old codgers for 30 minutes, sorting out the ISA, driving back home, taking me a few hours. Easy choice. All you've really highlighted is the technophobia of many old people. Haven't been into my bank for ages, probably last time was a year or so ago when someone last gave me a cheque.

edit: above post just reminded me i've been in more like 6 months ago when my change jar last got full so put it in the hsbc machine.

I think its rubbish to say that older folk are technophobes.. I know many OAP's who use the internet to bank and lots of other things, and I'm one who can't remember the last time I needed to go into a branch its more than 10yrs for certain.. so please don't assume that us older citizens can't cope with technology , you'd be surprised...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • billinge
    billinge Posts: 75 Forumite
    I only generally go in to pay money into my account, usually cheques, which I hate.
    The branch in my home town is only open during the week, so I either have to make a special visit to a neighbouring town, or nip out of work during the week, or I have used the Post Office to pay in before now. At least they are open on a Saturday morning.
    Maybe once a year I go in for a service review, but these usually are just for them to try to flog me services which I don't want, don't need, or which I can get better elsewhere (thanks to MSE).
  • TBH the only reason I don't go to the actual bank much is because I'm staggering disabled, I bank with Alliance & Leicester in Edinburgh, and the nearest branch to me is absolutely, positively inaccessible to me on Princes Street. The other 2 branches aren't that great either, with the one at the bottom of Leith Walk turning off the door button as the slightest sing of any weather! I tend to pay money into mt RBS account and then transfer it - lol! I'd close the A&L account but it's a bit better than RBS.
    :( Struggling too much wears a body out :cry:
  • As a Barclays Bank Pensioner I try very hard not to go in their branches - I spent many years HAVING to and now I have the choice I prefer not to!

Had to go today though to ask about an account I wanted to open. I was horrified to be told that there was no-one in today who could help me; would I like to make an appointment for another day. I couldn't believe it, I know Halifax have (or had) a stupid appointment system and I avoid them like the plague, but I didn't know Barclays had gone the same way.

What happened to those days when they proudly conceived the idea of a Receptionist and later, Personal Bankers? I came home and decided to put my money somewhere else.
  • I chose "Within the last 3 month". However, 99.99% of all my banking I am doing online for two main reasons:

1) I am working shifts - 1 month at 6am-2pm, the next month 2pm-10pm, then it swaps again. I am travelling between 45 minutes and 1 hour to work - depending on traffic. I would move closer to work but at the moment repaying my debts early has a greater priority for me.

2) Whenever I go into the branch they try to flog me one of their accounts you have to pay a monthly fee for. Nothing in the package has any value for me: I get my travel insurance and my breakdown cover cheaper elsewhere. I don't need mobile insurance, guaranteed entry to golf tournaments, reserved places at the local cinema etc. etc. therefore taking up one of these accounts would be complete bonkers.

Unfortunately, it takes me around 20 minutes each time to get rid of the sales pitch and get my business done which is why I rarely go into either of the banks I hold accounts with.

If only I could pay in my piggybank money online as well - I'd do it !!!
    You are 42% tight
    "You're frugal, you're thrifty, but on this site that's a little bit fab."
    Debt at start of 2010: £11,415.91. :eek: Debt at start of 2012: £4,830.00. Debt as of 01.04.2012: £ 1,230.00 :eek: Target date to be debt free: October / November 2012. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure