We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Options

Comments

• kissjenn
    kissjenn Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you all for the good wishes.

The good things about this New Year already are

(a) the sun is out for more than 3 hours a day
    (b) the shops are open for emergency curry ingredients
    (c) we've moved the table and chairs into the new extension...we have somewhere to sit and eat.

How's this for MSE (sort of). Found a pile of Christmas Crackers and could have stuck them in the loft and ignored them until Chrismas 2028 or pull the crackers, wear the hats and recycle the gifts (which were decent quality pens, keyrings etc) into a new geocache small boy is building. Also found strange 2 ammo boxes from the Gulf War which are going to be hidden in the woods somewhere, so other people with cracker fetishes can exchange strange tokens. It's free therefore MSE and comfortingly out-there therefore kissjennish.
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It that the sort of thing thats in the geocaches? I had a look at the website yesterday (thanks to your link I think?) and was very surprised to see there were 14 within a mile of my flat! :eek: Plus another 26 within a 1.5 mile radius! :eek: 40 so close? :eek: Not only that but I *think* must have passed 2 of them on Sunday and possibly another 1 yesterday! Wish I had GPS! :rotfl:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • kissjenn
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Some are themed, we have one which is a huge tupperware box with books in it, buried in a wood and called Eaglescairnie Library. Some mad Americans build ones where you need a canoe, snorkel and witnessed will!

Most have swap things for the kids and always a book to log your find.

You can do some without a gps if you have a map and use the co-ordinates or google map may work. Lots of phones have gps built in now as well. I got a garmin for Christmas a few years ago, yellow handheld and we go out with that, puppy teeth marks and all. It's great for finding places on your doorstep you never knew were on your doorstep.
    :A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,948 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy new diary :grin:
    I shall read with intertest.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • kissjenn
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Things are starting to get interesting on the shop front. After the enquiry about do we list 10 year old B&Q wallpaper the other week we had two very different stories today.

Firstly we're off to an industrial garage to look at a 10 feet high heater which he wants rid of and then a lovely lady appears with literally bags of new clothes in black bags, labels on because she's moving and has no space.

My fabby assistant is salivating over the clothes and I think I'm doing the grease and overalls bit...somethings never change. But nice that things may be moving and interesting mix. We'll also be spending Thursday building a Blue Peter coffin to house a guitar we just sold and tomorrow I'm at a web course in the Borders.

Interesting fact for today ::: nothing can be shipped to Russia at present because of the backlog in their customs. Had to disappoint a lady near the Black Sea who wanted to knit things. Getting to be fun indeed.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,948 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Never a dull moment kissjenn.
    Happy course.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • kissjenn
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Never a dull moment kissjenn.
    Happy course.

Fabby course. It was down in the Borders so an hours drive there and back (:o assuming you take the right road oddly enough). Only 6 of us, brilliant business centre in a converted mill building and free tea with choccy bics.

Learned lots of things I never knew about websites and how search engines work. So happy little Easter bunny me.

Hope everyone else is having a beautiful spring day.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Options
    Is that business gateway ? Kj am loving the diary
  • kissjenn
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    Is that business gateway ? Kj am loving the diary

It is. I was so impressed. They have courses very close to here and I'm lucky that we're close to the junction of Edinburgh, East and Mid Lothians but all their webby stuff was full til June. So booked this and a couple of others in Selkirk.

Today was so lovely, even the detour due to dodgy memory was nice. Lambs out and the snow gates were open - although the wind over Soutra never really goes down.

The course was of the same quality as one's I've attended costing hundreds and the people there really wanted to be there which is always good. And such a mix, a farmer who was diversifing into selling logs online, antique restoration fireplaces, a lady with a butcher's shop and holiday cottage ... it was nice to be in such a positive, "can do" place.

Highly recommended for anyone with or looking to develop a business website.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Options
    If it's the same one I'm thinking of I have done it myself ... I have to do my books very soon but do not have a clue what to do ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport