Pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Options
Pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

As 2010 began, work started with a vengeance in my house to let my dad (83 this year) move in. The extension is now complete, as is the kitchen, family bathroom and downstairs loo. The garage needs to be converted and a new shed built to allow the important “Garage Garbage” to have a lovely new home. The en-suite has died a painful death and slopping out is not an attractive non-penal morning activity so that’s being scheduled too. Finally new flooring, decorating and sofas are required.

Original budget was £80k but it’s looking more like £90k so I still need to find £25k to avoid cards etc. The job I had disappeared, so I’m also trying to find ways to make and save cash, find more work and run two other businesses. It can and will be done.

I gave up my OU course to concentrate on demanding job – the one that disappeared – so re-focusing my small brain cells on learning how to develop the business websites. Have found some great courses through Business Gateway which will give me an overview, but have succumbed to my usual panacea of better to have many books on the subject rather than none. Which neatly brings me to the renovation item I’d forgotten about; the change of use of my dining room to a library.

My careful planning last year to make sure that we were attending all OH’s hospital and Braille appointments has gone completely haywire so that needs to be fixed. Also Small Boy is about to sit his Standard Grades and is on exam leave for a month after Easter. He can’t actually remember which exams he’s sitting so that needs to be sorted out to. In his defence the name of the class doesn’t seem to match the syllabus but we can easily get him on track.

From last year’s diary kick-off we’re now down two cats. For the first time ever in my life they died in the house, just stopped breathing, no pain, no distress, simply alive and then not. This leaves us with the one we believe to be the familiar of Nosferatu, she weighs nothing and appears from the shadows to draw blood and then melt away. She has taken up residence in the office and whoever deigns to work is repeatedly smacked for using their keyboard. When we’re both there she has the ability to whack us simultaneously supporting the undead theory.

The husky has terrified the builder and the joiner and the plumber, only the physics tutor isn’t rounded up and held in the corner. Maybe she likes the more cerebral man.

So the new Tax Year heralds a New Year, New Beginning and New Start. As it says in the title “I’m going to pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again” (apologies to Oscar Hammerstein II).

New Year also means Resolutions, so to get me up to my birthday at the end of June I will

1. Do all the books for all 3 businesses.
2. Built the Websites for all 3 businesses.
3. Find the remaining £25k for the remaining renovation works.
4. Give Dad a moving in date.
5. Have completed a total of 200 Geocaches (currently at 150).
6. Create and document a set of processes for running the businesses to stop year end panics.
7. Achieve Powerseller and Top Seller Status for the Ebay Business.
8. Create and manage a comprehensive diary and to do system for the family.

Thanks for making it through to the end and for everyone who’s helped me get this far.
:A Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust :A

Comments

• Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Goodluck with the new diary :) - lots going on - :)
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck KJ

I am sure you will do astronomically well!

How's the shop going?
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hey kj just popped on and saw this ... you have been busy ... and will be busier by the sounds of things ... looking forward to reading your journey
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Options
    Happy new diary kissjenn.

But... where are the buckets?
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year KJ :j

I shall be following your progress with interest!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy New Tax Year!

*puts kettle on*
  • macgirl
    macgirl Posts: 5,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy New Diary KJ, as always I love your sense of humour! I'm sure you'll make the £25k with ease *subscribes*
  • 40somethingmum
    40somethingmum Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    Happy new diary Kissjen:)

40SMXx
  • honeybear_2
    honeybear_2 Posts: 3,914 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Tax Year!

*puts kettle on*

Happy New Diary :D

*brings biscuits*
    @ LBM = £15,872.65, now £10,819.82
    AF Jan = 7/? Feb = 5/14 Mar = 14/20 Apr = 6/14 May = 2/14 June 2/14 July 0/TF Aug 1/TFv Sept 6/TF Oct 4/7
    "NEVER DOUBT YOUR OWN QUALITY"
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy new tax year and diary KJ!
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure