question:- I'm mortgage free. should my girlfriend pay me rent ?

Options

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oddly enough the day i reached 16 , i had to pay board , its only fair.

And I suppose this was worked out in accordance with your fair share of food, bills, rent, council tax etc?

I am seriously beginning to think this is a wind up! :cool:
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • justwondering25
    Options
    But he would of course get a discount for a couple of days of the month for the reduced service.

Why of course , i could set up a excel file .
    !!!!! Lifes wonderful !!!!!
  • tbrain
    tbrain Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Sex takes two people , well it does for us not sure about you, a lot of people manage it on their own , two people , two lots of effort 50/50 deal imho .

Sex - doesn't that stop 6 months into a new relationship ;)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm either just too old now or living in another world entirely but I always thought that loving someone and being in a serious relationship with them, meant you wanted the best for them and were happy to help and support them whenever you could. Being in the fortunate position of having a paid for roof over your head means you could easily do this with no cost to yourself but instead you choose to charge anyway.

I think that's disgusting tbh, this is supposed to be the person you love, not just a flatmate.

I think all other outgoings and bills should be split but if there isn't a bill there in the first place (i.e. no mortgage or rent payment required) then it's mean to still want to charge it.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • justwondering25
    Options
    And I suppose this was worked out in accordance with your fair share of food, bills, rent, council tax etc?

I am seriously beginning to think this is a wind up! :cool:

I paid a flat fee, 5 people sharing the family home , mum , dad , two sisters and me , my first wage was 45 a week , i paid 20 in board , this is back in 1987 , this went up each year utill i moved out.

I was actually earning more money before i left school , doing usually 3 different part time jobs a week , by the time i was 23 i had moved out (had my first flat at 21) , setup a business and got my first mortgage on my current house, a 10 year mortgage , thats been paid in full , i have no dedts , plentys of savings , my ideas on money matters are fairly well balanced.
  • justwondering25
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    I'm either just too old now or living in another world entirely but I always thought that loving someone and being in a serious relationship with them, meant you wanted the best for them and were happy to help and support them whenever you could. Being in the fortunate position of having a paid for roof over your head means you could easily do this with no cost to yourself but instead you choose to charge anyway.

I think that's disgusting tbh, this is supposed to be the person you love, not just a flatmate.

I think all other outgoings and bills should be split but if there isn't a bill there in the first place (i.e. no mortgage or rent payment required) then it's mean to still want to charge it.

If the house fairey had gifted me the house , then yes i agree , but look at the link i posted regarding the ex-wife of a barrister who is still paying after 25 years and has just had to pay out a lump sum , unfortunatly , money matters are one thing , love is another , having two solid foundations in both then you have a good reciepe for success and a happy one at that.

After reading all the posts so far , i agree the married with two kids bit is a step to far to still be paying rent etc , but many fair points have been raised so far , those people i have thanked .
  • Willow_K
    Willow_K Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    If you decide to get married and start a family in the future, chances are she will insist that you buy a house together so that you are joint owners - few people would be happy long term living in a house that they had no legal right over. Buying a house is one of the biggest things you ever do and if you a sharing a life, it should be a joint experience.

Why don't you get her to put what would be her 'rent' away in a savings account in her name - then, if you stay together she can use that money as her share of the deposit on a jointly bought house whereas you will use the equity in the house. You could then decide to either put the rest of the equity away and pay half of the new mortgage or use it to pay additional deposit and she covers the mortgage payments.

That way, she will feel as if her money is going towards something she will benefit from in the long term and you won't feel that she hasn't contributed and end up paying more than your fair share when you buy another house together.

The benefit of all this is that if you do split up she has that pot of money for a deposit on a new place of her own.

If she does agree to stay living in your current house long-term and she wants to be on an equal footing with you could take out a mortgage for half the value (and put the mortgage money away) and she could cover the repayments - effectively you would be selling half of the house to her putting you in the same position you would be if you'd bought jointly.
  • Loulou2010
    Loulou2010 Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Options
    okay , so should my girlfriend pay rent ?

we've had a debate about this tonight, she seems to think that I'm profiting from the situation ! , basically to put some figures into this, similar property to rent 600-650 , propery value 140k , I said I would not expect half of what the property would rent for , but I said how about let's prentend half the value was in the bank in a high interest account at say 4% , work out the interest and divide by 12 = 250 a month ( plus half of bills) , she still seems to think I'm profiting ! to me it seems fair , she does except that she should pay something , but has yet to come up with the figure she has in mind.

considering I had to work hard to pay off the mortgage , what should I do ?

she also posed the question , what if we where married with 2 children would you I still expect her to pay , after a short thought I said Yes !

well am I been a right old meanie or am I using plain old common sense !

like they say love don't pay the rent , not even on a paid for house etc ! I.M.H.O

i find it really odd that someone would charge their oh rent...

u move into together, u both contribute. mayb work out ok ur money will covers this...mine will cover that... but not u have got to pay me £** to live here...

me and dh moved into together we got a joint account. what was mine is his and his is mine
    "I have learnt that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one"
    "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
    Maya Angelou
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the house fairey had gifted me the house , then yes i agree , but look at the link i posted regarding the ex-wife of a barrister who is still paying after 25 years and has just had to pay out a lump sum , unfortunatly , money matters are one thing , love is another , having two solid foundations in both then you have a good reciepe for success and a happy one at that.

As you correctly pointed out in a previous post, that example was nothing like your situation.

You seem to want your partner to pay you for your previous hard work.....because that's what it would be, it's not rent, you're kidding yourself if you think it's acceptable to class it as such.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • milanos
    milanos Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I'd have to say no to her paying rent. Yes you've had to work very hard to become mortgage free but at least you are now owner of the house. I may have picked up this wrong but it sounds like she does not own a home but is paying rent? If that's the case then she doesn't have anything to show for all the rent paid. I think she might have a good case for some claim on your house if you happened to split up after her contributing financially to a mortgage free home
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure